• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Combine thread

ncfan

4 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

You know, that was never a thing until draft where Bridgewater, Johnny Jackwagon, and the kid that went to the drags got drafted in. 

Aaron Rodgers had handsize smaller than all 3 at the time, and they still spent that entire off-season talking about how great Rodgers was.

Handsize for a QB is the new "can throw 90 yards on his knees." No one who actually spends time evaluating QBs puts much stock into it.

This. 

There is barely a correlation between hand size and fumbling. And Burrow is one of the most accurate passers in college football history. While its a data point it doesn't matter so much.

screen-shot-2019-02-27-at-8.42.29-pm.png

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/nfl-combine-kyler-murray-hand-size-doesnt-matter

There is more correlation with cold weather performance. Fans make a bigger deal about hand size that the NFL does.

21 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

You know, that was never a thing until draft where Bridgewater, Johnny Jackwagon, and the kid that went to the drags got drafted in. 

Aaron Rodgers had handsize smaller than all 3 at the time, and they still spent that entire off-season talking about how great Rodgers was.

Handsize for a QB is the new "can throw 90 yards on his knees." No one who actually spends time evaluating QBs puts much stock into it.

Concerns over a QBs hand size isn’t anything new at all. At least as long as I’ve watched, played and coached football. Since the 1970s. 

That’s just when YOU first heard about it. Not when scouts started caring. 

58 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Shenault is significantly shorter than I thought. I expected him to measure a legit 6'2". He's built like power RB. Basically the same height and weight as Leveon Bell. Gonna be interesting to see how that translates to the NFL at WR. He's a few meals away from being able to play LB.

He’s a little taller and a little bigger than Deebo. Both of them are a bit more built than our Moore. Be interesting to see how he runs, but Samuel was compared to Moore and seems like he’ll be compared to Deebo. 

12 hours ago, ncfan said:

Man if we didnt have Thomas and werent going to run mainly 3 WR 1 TE sets

Id look hard at this guy in the early 3rd or move back into the 2nd for Kmet

Kmet is moving up the board. He could be the first TE off the board and a potential 1st rounder. 

6 minutes ago, Shocker said:

He needs a good combine cuz he isn't very athletic and not a great blocker either.  The TE group is pretty weak IMO.

^^^^This.  Impressive mesurables, but put on the tape and he's meh.  It is a weak class and I wouldn't venture to grab a TE before round 4, if any.  This is the one spot where I'm okay going out in FA and getting a mid-tier guy.

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

He needs a good combine cuz he isn't very athletic and not a great blocker either.  The TE group is pretty weak IMO.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

^^^^This.  Impressive mesurables, but put on the tape and he's meh.  It is a weak class and I wouldn't venture to grab a TE before round 4, if any.  This is the one spot where I'm okay going out in FA and getting a mid-tier guy.

That’s how a team ends up taking a David Njoku in the 1st round and a George Kittle falls into the 5th round. 

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yeah, there could end up being some good NFL TEs out of the bunch, but there don't seem to be any prospects that would have scouts banging the table over them.

Just now, MMA said:

That’s how a team ends up taking a David Njoku in the 1st round and a George Kittle falls into the 5th round. 

Well, I mean Little barely had over 700 receiving yards in four college seasons. I don't think anyone could've predicted what he's become in the NFL.

Honestly, had he not had a strong combine performance he may have gone undrafted. He's kind of a bad example to use because for your case because showing good athleticism in workouts is probably what got him drafted as a flier.

Archived