• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Are Trading OL Trai Turner To LAC For LT Russell Okung

bobsfoodbasics

3 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Not really. First of all there is no “post June 1st cuts” this year with the new CBA impending.

A post June 1st cut just allows you to spread dead money over 2 seasons. This year all dead money has to be accounted for immediately. 

We were charged a dead money hit for Trai (remaining guaranteed bonus money not accounted for yet). Chargers accrued the dead money from Okung. 

If we cut Okung we only save this years salary but it’s not additional money. 

thanks

Not sure why this is hard to understand. Okung is the left tackle we haven't had. We have several guys who can play guard well such as Daley.  Is this a rebuilding strategy? No, but either is Cam. You need to rebuild and try to be competitive at the same time. This helps keep Cam from getting killed and honestly Turner wasn't great this year and in his six years has only played 16 games twice. The rest were 13 games. Finally Turner doesn't fit the athletic mobile OL players Rhule wants in his zone blocking scheme. Turner is more of a big road grader which is great but may not be effective with the new system.  This is more signing players to positions of need on offense so we can go defense this draft.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I mean if we straight cut him in june then man, damn, I dont know.  Its almost if Tepper wants to ask the league to do a system reset to default settings.  Just get everyone off the team and start from scratch.

His blueprint for team building is clearly different from RR, thank goodness, so he's cleaning house within reason. This draft could end up being very different from what we've been used to under Fox and RR. Okung is on his last leg imo, but the coaches want him here.

Just now, pantherj said:

His blueprint for team building is clearly different from RR, thank goodness, so he's cleaning house within reason. This draft could end up being very different from what we've been used to under Fox and RR. Okung is on his last leg imo, but the coaches want him here.

I hear you but cleaning house and not getting any draft assets is a odd.  Someone would have given a 4rth for Turner. 

6 minutes ago, pantherj said:

This really shakes up my opinion of what we were going to do with the draft. I was feeling certain we'd go OT, but now we might go BPA.

There is no secret to Hurneys success BPA.

He did steal Greg Olsen from Chicago in hindsight.

EDIT: Since I started this post, a lot has happened so I apologize if everything isn't totally accurate anymore.

I think this is the perfect play honestly. Let's look at our options for addressing the OT position:

1. Keep the status quo and hope Little and Daley can continue to improve and stay healthy. Playing your youngsters is typically not a bad option for a rebuilding team but if you gamble wrong, whoever is playing QB is going to get demolished. The huddle has seemed to be generally against this option.

2. Pick a tackle at 7. This is the choice where you are effectively giving up on Little. A top 10 draft pick should be a franchise changer and it has been consistently for the Panthers. You don't pick a tackle here to have them play behind Little and Moton. Here is where the snarky, "Haha look at stupid Hurney moving up to draft Little" comments should come, not with a potential Okung trade.

3. Sign a top name free agent tackle. Similar to above. If you're going to commit big long-term money to a tackle, you're again acknowledging that Little isn't factoring into your long-term plans. And now you have a bunch of money tied into another player while you're rebuilding when you could have seen what Little could do at 10% of the cost instead.

4. Get a stop-gap tackle who isn't a long-term option/commitment as insurance in case Little and/or Daley aren't able to step up right away. If Little improves and stays healthy, you entrench him as the long-term starter at LT and get rid of the stop-gap in 2021. If it doesn't look like Little or Daley is a viable option after their 2nd years, then sign a long-term vet or draft a tackle early in 2021. Trading for Okung falls into this category, as well as signing an aging vet like Whitworth or Peters.

I have been a proponent of option 4 since the end of the season. It gives you another year to assess Little before giving up on him (which would be incredibly short-sighted) while not relying too heavily on a 2nd year player with injury issues at such an important position. It also lets us focus on rebuilding our defense and interior oline in the draft and free agency. I'm also banking on Okung being a buy low opportunity with his salary and injuries. If I'm Hurney, I don't budge from at most a 6th. The Chargers would clear over $13 million from their cap and most mocks have them targeting a tackle if they choose against taking their qb at 6. The Panthers being in rebuilding mode means they can stand firm since they're not acting in desperation.

But sure it's more fun to just laugh and act like this is another tremendously moronic decision by Hurney and the Panthers.

Archived