• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line Depth - FA / Draft Forecast

SetfreexX

So by now the news has sunk in regarding the Okung for Turner swap, let's take a look at the offensive line post trade and assess. I think most informed fans realize that LT is more important than either G position, and obviously the FA market cost for competent interior play is at lower cost because there are more adequate interior defenders than those that play on the perimeter of the offensive line.

With that being the case, we are set up to bring in interior OL via FA at a more reasonable cost, and via the draft, Day 2 / early Day 3 should have starter caliber players available. If I were to wager I'd say we see an OG/C in the 3rd as a selection. 

Roster details provided by: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

LT-  Okung / Little (this is big as now we have solid depth, and any concussion relevant issues can be dealt with over time w/o rushing Little back, and allowing development)

G - N/A

C - Paradis / Tyler Larsen

RT - Moton / Daley

---------------------------------------------

Considering the glaring absence at the G position, and the addition of Okung I think we are setting ourselves up for a BPA pick at #7, I fully anticipate a defensively favored draft overall, even if we dedicate an early pick to bring in another receiver or tight end early. (Could also see GVR return, and Daley as an option aside from market FA as well.)

The biggest issue is the top two positions on our offensive line hinge on two players getting healthy and returning to form. Okung, and Paradis who obviously struggled in 2019.

Seems to be pretty much a given that we will be drafting another offensive lineman by day 2.

14 minutes ago, dcpanther89 said:

They need to be looking at Cesar Ruiz in the 2nd. Center that has experience at Guard, would be great for depth and if he looses some weight he would be a monster in the run game for us how we like to use McCaffrey. 

That was my  prediction in the Okung thread.  Having Ruiz and Daley at guards is workable.  And let’s Ruiz grow into center over the next couple years. 

Super Sleepers- I like both Brandon Green and Dillon Gordon form a depth standpoint. Plus with both OGs open, one could land there too. 

https://www.panthers.com/team/players-roster/dillon-gordon/

https://www.panthers.com/team/players-roster/brandon-greene/

I dont understand the contract of either, but theres a big need and the panthers need LOTS of luck. Watch out for these two!

5 hours ago, dcpanther89 said:

They need to be looking at Cesar Ruiz in the 2nd. Center that has experience at Guard, would be great for depth and if he looses some weight he would be a monster in the run game for us how we like to use McCaffrey. 

Brown in the first, Ruiz in the second and both lines will be looking solid... 

I'm for 5+ picks on defense this year guys and 1-2 picks for the OL and even then, mid-rounds.  I know people will scream about TE and WR, but the fact is outside of a TE1 (none available in this draft) and WR1 of which we are not in desperate need of, the defense should be the focal point of this draft.  Elite DT prospects, but top of the board heavy, the same with corners.  The safety class is about as deep and talented this year as I have ever seen and we HAVE to get one, but the elite talent will drop off in the 4th round.  Solid, but not super deep DE and LB classes.  

With the spread offense being so prevalent in college now, nearly every year it seems the draft has a bumper crop of wideouts.  I don't see the urgency here.  If we miss out this year I'm nearly certain next year's draft will have another class of 6-10 rookies with WR1 potential.  This is a trend that I don't see reversing anytime soon.

On 3/5/2020 at 1:15 PM, UncleWillie said:

Paradis will be better next year. He really didn't have much recovery time before the season.

Teams learned quickly to bull rush him---he did not have the strength in his lower body to withstand it and he did not have enough strength to move anyone.  He was not good--and to make matters worse, he had a bad LG beside him most of the season.

I see Daley and Little getting reps at G.  I like the idea of grooming Little for a season.  Okung's contract is done then--or if Little manages to beat out Okung, we could save some cash and cut RO--bad move, considering the fact that we are not signing any high-end free agents and do not need the cap room this season.

There are (quietly) some fairly solid centers in this draft.  I am not happy about the Guards.

By the way, I love getting rid of Turner and his contract.  He was lazy--watch his feet.  Look at photos of him as a rookie and now--he was not working.  5 pro bowls?  Unreal.  Not even one of our top players, to be honest.

On 3/5/2020 at 11:09 AM, dcpanther89 said:

Agree but think he'll be gone by then

On 3/5/2020 at 12:09 PM, dcpanther89 said:

One of my dream scenarios would be trading back in the first, get Thomas and then Ruiz at 38 and then maybe Delpit with the extra pick

Archived