• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russell Okung - Leads The Way (Worth a Watch)

SetfreexX

Russell comes across as very sharp and intelligent. When those type guys have the physical skills, they are usually one of your best options. Excited about having this guy on the roster this year. Not a Hurney fan by any means but so far liking this move. Takes a lot of pressure off draft wise and opens up options. Okung probably a better option than any rookie tackle we could have drafted so in a critical year for Cam, this is huge.

Love that Carolina picked this guy up and hes a Servant first" thank you Lord Jesus Christ" He was used to Glory God and leave his mark in LA now he will leave his mark in Carolina.. We all have a purpose if its for good or bad our choice" Every Word that exits our mouth gives life or death to all that hears it.. 

People do forget this guy has some rings and protected Wilson when that line was worth a poo. However, much like everything on this team currently, his play and this move is just up in the air. My question is where the fug was this last year instead of reaching on two fuging tackles in the draft hurney? Or any other year where we clearly needed a left tackle and drafting someone not in the top ten and calling them a started was clearly the answer?

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

People do forget this guy has some rings and protected Wilson when that line was worth a poo. However, much like everything on this team currently, his play and this move is just up in the air. My question is where the fug was this last year instead of reaching on two fuging tackles in the draft hurney? Or any other year where we clearly needed a left tackle and drafting someone not in the top ten and calling them a started was clearly the answer?

The option has to be available w/o breaking the resource cabinet too, a T at the top of the 2nd is not a reach, and neither was Daley in the 6th. The 3 corner DG draft was reaches on Worley, and Sanchez. 

41 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

The option has to be available w/o breaking the resource cabinet too, a T at the top of the 2nd is not a reach, and neither was Daley in the 6th. The 3 corner DG draft was reaches on Worley, and Sanchez. 

here we go, hurnder apologists. Pretty sure those two weren't drafted near as high. Try again.

Okung seems like an intelligent man that has his priorities straight in life.  I hope he can stay healthy and help us this year.  It will be a solid pick up if so.  No offense to Trai Turner, but a solid LT is 10x more important than a solid RG.

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

You may be confusing the term reach for steal as it pertains to Daley. Daley graded out similarly to Dillard who was the first tackle drafted. Getting anything out of a 6th round pick is gravy. Getting one who is at worst solid depth at both guard and tackle, and potentially a serviceable starter, is a huge bonus. 

Of course I'm sure your angst is primarily towards Little (although I'd say the jury is still out on him). But when you exaggerate your points to give them more weight, you just end up cheapening your argument.

3 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

You may be confusing the term reach for steal as it pertains to Daley. Daley graded out similarly to Dillard who was the first tackle drafted. Getting anything out of a 6th round pick is gravy. Getting one who is at worst solid depth at both guard and tackle, and potentially a serviceable starter, is a huge bonus. 

Of course I'm sure your angst is primarily towards Little (although I'd say the jury is still out on him). But when you exaggerate your points to give them more weight, you just end up cheapening your argument.

say what?  Dillard was always projected in the first and daley I believe was 5th round at best

15 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

He certainly comes across as thoughtful and intelligent, but let's keep in mind that this video was produced by the 700 Club, of the Christian Broadcasting Network, so it understandably stresses his spiritual side, not his violent side.

What seems to me more important about this trade is the value he adds to our OL, and the signal it sends that a rebuild is not a tank.  Turner was going anyway, and we got good value with this replacement, while at the same time, putting proven strength at a more vital position.  Protecting Cam from the LT spot is vital to success, and to me, this is another sign that Rhule wants Cam at QB, and he wants him to be protected.

An ancillary benefit is that Van Roten won"t have to babysit a series of LTs who relied on him to reposition them.  GVR has gotten a lot of bad reviews in the Huddle, and IMO, undeservedly so.  He's an effective zone blocker, always a big factor in every big run that CMC broke last year, and he's probably going to be a better pass blocker, now that Okung's here, and he's freed up to do his job, without added responsibilities of having to help out novice LTs.

Archived