• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stock Market seems volatile

Happy Panther

On 5/19/2021 at 8:30 AM, PanthersATL said:

What?  (checks notes)

Hadn't seen that news yet, thanks for sharing. A dividend cut due to spinning off a major part of their business makes sense. 

That it's a 50% cut is a bit dramatic, but also seems appropriate -- although the spinoff company could come with a dividend of its own (of some sort) to provide a bit of balance to T shareholders who hold through the event and receive shares in the new company.

I think maintaining that 7% div yield was not sustainable in the long run.... so if that 50% cut brings them back to a 4% yield range... that's in line with what VZ is offering, and by itself still isn't horrible compared to other long-term income-producing investments.

T  investors are supposed to get 73%shares of the new company Warner Media/Discovery.  But don't know exact per share.  

I'm holding long my T shares well into retirement. Reinvesting all my dividend back into buying shares. 

• 8 months later...

One of the stock market features is that in unstable economic times, the stock market itself becomes unstable. But this is something of natural selection in nature because, after such situations, only the strongest and most competent players on the stock exchange remain. And after the stock market remains strong, it will stabilize again. I like that there is a place for risk in the activities of a stockbroker, and that's why I am currently studying a forex course on the website https://www.earnforex.com/forex-e-books/ because an untrained economist shouldn't try to trade forex.

Hunker down, hold on and DO NOT buy Crypto no matter what. Crypto is about to go dotcom bubble burst and they are advertising like crazy to sell off their "supply". Right now, it is a sucker's play. Tomorrow it will be worthless.

Seriously, on stocks, hold what you've got. In a downturn you don't lose money unless you sell (unless you bought some risky meme stocks). 

3 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

The market will tank once feds increase rate

I don't know.  the market already knows the fed is going to do a couple rate increases this year. 

the market has proven too often that you simply can't predict what it will do.   listen to bears and you miss the bull runs.  Listen to the bulls and you take the bear market on the chin. 

only way to predict the market is to predict the same thing on repeat and in the same direction.   Then when it finally happens pretend all the times you were wrong don't matter. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ja Rhule said:

The market will tank once feds increase rate

If this were true, we could all be rich.

If you think that you can time the real estate or stock markets...I have a really nice little something to sell you.

Not saying you specifically, but timing the market is generally a fools errand.

4 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Hunker down, hold on and DO NOT buy Crypto no matter what. Crypto is about to go dotcom bubble burst and they are advertising like crazy to sell off their "supply". Right now, it is a sucker's play. Tomorrow it will be worthless.

Seriously, on stocks, hold what you've got. In a downturn you don't lose money unless you sell (unless you bought some risky meme stocks). 

But what will I do with all the free trials with $5 of Crypto I have?  I was holding those as a great investment! 

I never understood the appeal of any of the currencies.  

• Beer 1

59 minutes ago, d-dave said:

But what will I do with all the free trials with $5 of Crypto I have?  I was holding those as a great investment! 

I never understood the appeal of any of the currencies.  

Some people will always invest in things they don't understand because they think that if someone else understands it, then they will be okay. Sadly, it doesn't work that way in the real world.

On 2/14/2022 at 3:39 PM, PanthersATL said:

This is slightly amusing if true.  (It may or may not be entirely true based on the comments, but there's enough fact to support a discussion either way)

It's not accurate because he wasn't paid in one lump sum and it's most likely set up for weekly buys since players are paid game checks. He has lost some money for sure, but nothing like what this makes it out to seem.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 10:04 AM, Khyber53 said:

I'm only invested in Bitcoin and ETH.  I'm done with shitcoins.