• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

This is a terrible post and awful opinion. My God. When you are sitting at home this fall with no football to watch - remember this post. 

I don't give 2 flying fugs about the NFL this season or any other. It's a form of entertainment and in no way mandatory for me to live. 

This country has already witnessed the hysteria caused by a partial shutdown. Shut it all down and watch what happens. Burying your head in the sand and believing in the good of humanity will provide you nothing to eat or drink when trucks aren't moving and warehouses are empty. 

I watched people camping out on shelves for toilet paper. There wasn't sharing and hugs and rah rah rah across the vast majority of this nation. Wait until people can't get food or water. Imagine the superdome after Katrina in NYC. That's what shutting it all down really means. 

Anarchy. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

And not even remotely possible. How do you think all that food and medical supplies arrived? It takes hundreds of thousands of people interacting across the nation. You think you saw panic and shortages the first time? Do it again. Except there won't be people at manufacturing jobs making essentials, or producing food, or distributing it because they are all stuck at home. Unless of course they need to work be at work because they are expendable  to provide you with what you need so you can be safe and secure. And then we aren't all in this together. Only the ones who aren't expendable are. How long do you think Charlotte will survive if the people that run the pumps that supply the city's water stay home for their own safety and their family's safety. What happens when automation fails and it will. What then? 

The world is ripe for a pandemic of this nature. We have highly concentrated populations in closed areas with no means of self sufficiency other than to interact with other people. People are going to die from this. A lot have and a lot more will before it burns itself out. Lock everything down and freeze the economy and watch it collapse. Then you will see death and destruction on a far greater scale than what covid has done/is doing. People will feast on each other in the name of self preservation. 

People need to accept reality. People are dying and will continue to do so until we either herd immunity or develop a vaccine. In the meantime, stop making covid some political tool for power and money. This is about damage mitigation. Mother nature is a far more ruthless killer than we give her credit.

Very good post.  Unless someone has been hunkered down in a self sufficient bunker for months with everything they need...they are a part of the problem whether they want to admit it or not.  But lucky for them, many of us understand what's reasonable and what's not, and we are simply trying to find a balance between the two.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

And not even remotely possible. How do you think all that food and medical supplies arrived? It takes hundreds of thousands of people interacting across the nation. You think you saw panic and shortages the first time? Do it again. Except there won't be people at manufacturing jobs making essentials, or producing food, or distributing it because they are all stuck at home. Unless of course they need to work be at work because they are expendable  to provide you with what you need so you can be safe and secure. And then we aren't all in this together. Only the ones who aren't expendable are. How long do you think Charlotte will survive if the people that run the pumps that supply the city's water stay home for their own safety and their family's safety. What happens when automation fails and it will. What then? 

The world is ripe for a pandemic of this nature. We have highly concentrated populations in closed areas with no means of self sufficiency other than to interact with other people. People are going to die from this. A lot have and a lot more will before it burns itself out. Lock everything down and freeze the economy and watch it collapse. Then you will see death and destruction on a far greater scale than what covid has done/is doing. People will feast on each other in the name of self preservation. 

People need to accept reality. People are dying and will continue to do so until we either herd immunity or develop a vaccine. In the meantime, stop making covid some political tool for power and money. This is about damage mitigation. Mother nature is a far more ruthless killer than we give her credit.

The world is ripe for a pandemic of this nature...and yet most every other country by now has either drastically slowed down the spread or has outright wiped it out.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't give 2 flying fugs about the NFL this season or any other. It's a form of entertainment and in no way mandatory for me to live. 

This country has already witnessed the hysteria caused by a partial shutdown. Shut it all down and watch what happens. Burying your head in the sand and believing in the good of humanity will provide you nothing to eat or drink when trucks aren't moving and warehouses are empty. 

I watched people camping out on shelves for toilet paper. There wasn't sharing and hugs and rah rah rah across the vast majority of this nation. Wait until people can't get food or water. Imagine the superdome after Katrina in NYC. That's what shutting it all down really means. 

Anarchy. 

Another just awful take here. Let me know when you discover the earth isn’t flat. 

• Poo 5

2 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

For all the stupid people out there-

30-year-old-dies-after-covid-party

Where is his name?

4 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Anarchy. 

There is no point engaging with that potato.  Notice that he didn't mention a single thing about the content of your post, he just launched a general attack.  He's a one trick pony with no substance.  But I heard one time years ago he put together a coherent post, so there's that.

• Pie 3

16 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Another just awful take here. Let me know when you discover the earth isn’t flat. 

Maybe you don't recall the commercials telling people to stop hoarding toilet paper. Or setting up special times to allow the elderly to shop because they couldn't get what they need unless they got there first. Or how about empty shelves in every store. No bleach, no sanitizer. No basic necessities. Signs in every store limiting what could be bought. Massive layoffs because companies had to close the doors. Because that stuff didn't happen right. 300 million people just imagined all of it. If we shut down the economy even more than before, none of that would ever happen again.

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

The world is ripe for a pandemic of this nature...and yet most every other country by now has either drastically slowed down the spread or has outright wiped it out.

I never said Covid couldn't be slowed, but it has not been outright wiped out. Some countries like New Zealand are able to isolate themselves. America will not. Once they open themselves back up, all it's going to take is one infected person to introduce it back into the country unless there is a vaccine. 

Covid is not the severity of pandemic I'm talking about. It's a baby compared to what could potentially spread worldwide. Our population outright panicked for a virus that is asymptomatic in 80% of people. Replace Covid with something 10x as deadly and more contagious and yes, the world is absolutely ripe for a pandemic. Our world is not ready for a supply chain collapse due to a far more deadly pandemic.

13 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Maybe you don't recall the commercials telling people to stop hoarding toilet paper. Or setting up special times to allow the elderly to shop because they couldn't get what they need unless they got there first. Or how about empty shelves in every store. No bleach, no sanitizer. No basic necessities. Signs in every store limiting what could be bought. Massive layoffs because companies had to close the doors. Because that stuff didn't happen right. 300 million people just imagined all of it. If we shut down the economy even more than before, none of that would ever happen again.

I never said Covid couldn't be slowed, but it has not been outright wiped out. Some countries like New Zealand are able to isolate themselves. America will not. Once they open themselves back up, all it's going to take is one infected person to introduce it back into the country unless there is a vaccine. 

Covid is not the severity of pandemic I'm talking about. It's a baby compared to what could potentially spread worldwide. Our population outright panicked for a virus that is asymptomatic in 80% of people. Replace Covid with something 10x as deadly and more contagious and yes, the world is absolutely ripe for a pandemic. Our world is not ready for a supply chain collapse due to a far more deadly pandemic.

Sir, this is a Wendy’s 

35 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

The economic fallout of going to an even more severe lockdown would be extreme. The full price of the current lockdown has still yet to even be paid and it will be a big one. It's one that is ever increasing a permanent underclass in the country. That's another debt that will be paid in a big way and we have yet to feel the full brunt of.

The virus has laid bare a few key weaknesses in this country. First, there is no real safety net for ordinary citizens. This should come as a surprise to anyone who pays attention. We aren't too big to fail, unlike mutli-billion dollar corporations. The difference between how we reacted at the government level and how a lot of the rest of the first world, is really quite stark.

Second, as Americans some of our biggest strengths have once again proved to be among our biggest weaknesses. Our fierce independent streak coupled with an extremely individual outlook on what is best for society has pretty much doomed any efforts to get people to make sensible and logical decisions for the overall good of our country. It obviously doesn't help that our leadership cares more about spreading lies and division for individual gain rather than actually attempting to do the right thing.

Third, our economic structure is not sustainable in any sort of a calamity like this. Not for the overwhelming bulk of the populace. I don't mean that as an attack on capitalism but our version of capitalism sacrifices the wellbeing of the majority of the population when you have a disaster or major economic downturn. Again, not a new thing. We've seen it happen time and time again. It just acknowledges that the casualties of our perpetual boom and bust cycle are an acceptable price of doing business. 

If those flaws didn't exist here, I don't think we would be having the same discussions about this virus and it's impact. You are ultimately correct. Given the way we are structured, we cannot afford to stay under quarantine. Our society is structured the way it is and that means that a lot of people are going to die from the virus directly and likely even more from the devastating economic crisis that is likely to unfold. Frankly, there really aren't a lot of great counter arguments against opening up the bulk of the country. That doesn't mean I agree with the idea of sacrificing people's health and/or lives for the economic good but people need to understand that is literally the foundation of our society. Our history is rife with examples from our very inception. 

The more people realize that, the easier this pill is going to be swallowed.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

Arguing with Donkey brained people on the Internet sure As hell isnt 

Code word for Democrat?  You never let up with the politics do you.  Elephant brained doesn't have the ring, I agree.  I think you're on a roll.

Democrat Donkey Version 2 Circle Magnet | Magnet America