• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

2 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

it's a facile point. 

"prove to me the political affiliation of every person" is sea lioning. do you honestly think these were BLM in fuging ft lauderdale during spring break? Like is that really an argument I'm supposed to entertain?

i was responding specifically to the dangers of having beaches open. you're conflating your stupid concern trolling with a different argument about spreads between protests and beach going

You cannot differentiate between the two. That is the point. If you are going to close down beaches, then close down any other gatherings of similar or congregated masses. 

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's why I avoid the major news outlets. They're all tremendously biased to cater to their audience. The problem is that people actually WANT their news tremendously biased. Very few people want to face the discomfort of a differing opinion. Confirmation bias is comforting. I just wish people would stop getting their pandemic news from these sources. I wish they'd stop getting ANY news from them, but if we could start with pandemic news I'd definitely take that.

The major news outlets have a symbiotic relationship with social media.  I've noticed even when someone doesn't watch the major news outlets, if they participate in social media, they end up parroting back some of the same talking points.  Sometimes the major news outlets come up with the talking points and they ripple thru the interwebz, and other times it starts somewhere else but the news outlets quickly pick them up.

1 minute ago, Devil Doc said:

You cannot differentiate between the two. That is the point. If you are going to close down beaches, then close down any other gatherings of similar or congregated masses. 

being outside is not the problem, it's what happens afterwards. large beach gatherings tend to end in people going to large, air conditioned indoor gatherings where the virus is shown to spread the most. protests generally end in people going home, and studies have shown they don't really increase the transmission rate. 

you have such an obtuse and un nuanced view of this it's really difficult to converse with you. 

im really having trouble believing you're in a master's program for anything. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Devil Doc said:

I am in school for a Masters in Emergency and Disaster Management.. this exact topic is drilled into the doctrine. The Feds are not hear to bail you out everytime, they are here to assist and provide an extra layer, they are NOT in charge. The more the states and local government rely on the Federal Government, it creates higher budgets, thinning of personnel, and too much bureaucracy. You State and Local Government is responsible for your mitigation, recovery and response, with guidance from the Federal Government. 

Its like saying the CEO of the company is responsible for tracking when the carpenter is going to run out of nails.

6 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

being outside is not the problem, it's what happens afterwards. large beach gatherings tend to end in people going to large, air conditioned indoor gatherings where the virus is shown to spread the most. protests generally end in people going home, and studies have shown they don't really increase the transmission rate. 

you have such an obtuse and un nuanced view of this it's really difficult to converse with you. 

Studies show it does not increase transmissions rate.. that is what I have a problem with. You cannot in your mind tell me that poo isn't fabricated. When they specifically tell you that outdoor gatherings and protest are different. If you want to believe that there is not extra curricular activities after a protest or massive gatherings, then that is on you.  You are going to tell me that the only reason there is not transmission is because what they do afterwards? C'mon man. I just find it convenient that they will do this study to justify a gathering

Edited by Devil Doc

13 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Other side of the coin.

Lets say that "Protesting/Gatherings" that is not on the beach,  as you said, created little transmissions. Now, with that information, if someone wants to have a gathering, they will just call it a protest. Do you not see what was created when there is double standards like that? 

I see the war on the coronavirus similar to the war on terrorism or war on drugs.  You can't police everyone, you can't stop the virus.  You can only slow it down until a vaccine is provided.  Creating this nanny state seems more like preparation for something else than an actual virus that kills less than 1% of the population.

Edited by CatTower

10 minutes ago, CatTower said:

I see the war on the coronavirus similar to the war on terrorism or war on drugs.  You can't police everyone, you can't stop the virus.  You can only slow it down until a vaccine is provided.  Creating this nanny state seems more like preparation for something else than an actual virus that kills less than 1% of the population.

The rest of the world is certainly doing a far better job than us. They're really not comparable issues. The drug war is a supply/demand issue where we've really only made a legit effort on the supply side. As long as there's a demand and profit to be made, someone will figure out the supply side. That factor doesn't apply to a virus.

13 minutes ago, CatTower said:

*looks at Portland*

Yeah a COVID-19 "nanny state" is what keeps me up at night

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The rest of the world is certainly doing a far better job than us. They're really not comparable issues. The drug war is a supply/demand issue where we've really only made a legit effort on the supply side. As long as there's a demand and profit to be made, someone will figure out the supply side. That factor doesn't apply to a virus.

The US total cases per million population is 11th at 11.799.  We've also administered 48 million tests, almost doubling the next country at 3rd.  China says 90 million tests, but yeah take that with a grain of salt.

Factor in the election year BS where certain territories have an incentive to make things look worse than they actually are.

The result is a pretty comparable number to the rest of the world.   But the media likes big numbers, so go ham.

2 minutes ago, CatTower said:

The US total cases per million population is 11th at 11.799.  We've also administered 48 million tests, almost doubling the next country at 3rd.  China says 90 million tests, but yeah take that with a grain of salt.

Factor in the election year BS where certain territories have an incentive to make things look worse than they actually are.

The result is a pretty comparable number to the rest of the world.   But the media likes big numbers, so go ham.

The "but we're testing more now!" crowd doesn't understand math. Yeah, we are testing more now. We're also seeing a much higher percentage of positives. The increase in cases is NOT simply due to increased testing. We're also running a lot more tests right now than other countries because our active case count is rapidly accelerating while their case count is very low.

• Pie 5

2 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

You might need a nanny when people are literally too stupid to not destroy their own country out of laziness.

just saying

Income inequality is a much bigger threat to the population as a whole than the coronavirus.  

24 minutes ago, CatTower said:

Preparation for mass federal microchipping!!!!