• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which Panther was the GOAT?

Hotsauce

Who was the greatest Panther of all time?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Which Panther was the GOAT?

lol “best athlete” - I could say some things about that, but I’ll slow my roll.

IMO, the best/top players in Carolina history are:

Cam

Smith

Luke

Peppers

Gross

Also, Jake and Walls shouldn’t even be mentioned as they weren’t even the best at their positions within the franchise; ie, Olsen is better than Walls.

GOAT for franchise or greatest player in general we’ve ever had? Huge difference. For the franchise it’s Smith.

But for greatest player we’ve ever had it’s between Peppers and Luke. Luke was on his way to be the GOAT mlb ever. Peppers is one of the greatest DEs ever.

I have to go with Peppers looking at all angles.

The only reason I didn't vote Cam is that if you take away what he's done rushing, he's average as can be as a QB. Luke did everything great. Smitty did everything great. Yes, Cam is asked to do more than a standard pocket QB, but without stellar passing stats I just can't say he's the GOAT.

41 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Also, Jake and Walls shouldn’t even be mentioned as they weren’t even the best at their positions within the franchise; ie, Olsen is better than Walls.

You've got to look at the people in their times and what they did for the team. Wesley was probably our first real star that deserved to be called that and there was just something about how he anchored the team and worked to give it an identity. He was also one of those castoffs that seem to be drawn to Carolina and find their magic here.

Speaking of castoffs, Jake Delhomme is the greatest of them all. He literally came from the bottom of the league's bucket, sat on our bench for half a game and then inexplicably led the team to its first Superb Owl (after a miracle run in the playoffs). In that Superb Owl he threw the longest TD pass in the championship game's history (at that time) and engineered a comeback in the second half that came one bad kick's distance from winning it. He then went on to throw Smitty to the league triple crown in receiving the next season, and the following year (with Smitty out early in the season with a broken leg) managed to throw to Moose enough to get him the NFC receiving crown and then take the team to the NFC Championship to only have the massive number of injuries to the team bring it to a disastrous end against Seattle. The next three years started well (he was playing his best football ever) until he was injured after crashing his hand/arm against Jonathan Abraham's helmet in the eighth game. After that, and the Tommy John surgery, he was never the same again and the gunslinger started a string of losses and it was all done and over for him. (Honestly, if you look at it, he and Cam have a similar downfall story and both are really tragic and both had half the fan base calling for their blood).

So yeah, both deserve to be there. They made their marks.

Which players on that list could you realistically make an argument that he is top-5 of all time at this position?

Which player on that list could you realistically make an argument that he was top 3 at his position almost every year of his career?

If you are talking HOF type of criteria where you are judging relative to your position, the answer is easy.  Its Luke with Peppers second.

If you are talking most important to the franchise, or who contributed the most to winning, then that's a different list.

1 hour ago, emhoward said:

I voted Smitty, but I think Ive changed to Luke... He's the only one who has an agrument for Top 5 at his position ALL TIME... not sure he'd make it, but it would be close... 

Peppers is easily top 5 all time DE.  

Archived