• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

IF... 2020 Season Cancelled Mock Draft

CanadianCat

Honestly, no. We have way too many holes to fill to legitimately compete this coming season anyway. Any thoughts of using the draft to try to slap bandaids on those holes would be really poor roster building. We probably need to be drafting with a goal of being competitive 2-3 years from now. But, given all the bandaid type moves this off-season has consisted of minus the CMC extension, I fully expect a bandaid type approach to this draft. Drafting for need and ignoring the strengths of the draft class. It's just what bad organizations do and right now, we're a bad organization until proven otherwise.

23 minutes ago, Shocker said:

If they cancel the season how does the draft work next year?  Something tells me New England ends up at #1 and gets Trevor.

gross dumb and dumber GIF

I read somewhere that the NFL might use the NHL's model for determining the draft order in a tiered system. IIRC, they had a lockout the year that Crosby came out and based on records, draft position the previous 5 years and playoff appearances, had a "fair" system to determine draft order. 

I wouldn't change course at all with the exception of not drafting players that were on the older age groups. 

9 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I read somewhere that the NFL might use the NHL's model for determining the draft order in a tiered system. IIRC, they had a lockout the year that Crosby came out and based on records, draft position the previous 5 years and playoff appearances, had a "fair" system to determine draft order. 

I wouldn't change course at all with the exception of not drafting players that were on the older age groups. 

How did the nhl model work? Was that based on average wins over the last X seasons? 

We would do decent in that type of model.

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

How did the nhl model work? Was that based on average wins over the last X seasons? 

We would do decent in that type of model.

From the article I read here -

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/04/11/2021-nfl-draft-detroit-lions-nhl-gary-bettman/5132261002/......

Rather than take a single season into account, the NHL used composite records from its three previous full seasons — 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04 — to slot teams into different categories. Teams with no playoff appearances in that time, and no No. 1 overall picks in the previous four drafts, were given three lottery balls. Teams with one playoff appearance or No. 1 pick were given two. And everyone else had one of the 48 balls in the hopper, or approximately a 2% chance of landing the greatest prospect of his generation.

1 minute ago, Soul Rebel said:

From the article I read here -

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/04/11/2021-nfl-draft-detroit-lions-nhl-gary-bettman/5132261002/......

Rather than take a single season into account, the NHL used composite records from its three previous full seasons — 2001-02, 2002-03 and 2003-04 — to slot teams into different categories. Teams with no playoff appearances in that time, and no No. 1 overall picks in the previous four drafts, were given three lottery balls. Teams with one playoff appearance or No. 1 pick were given two. And everyone else had one of the 48 balls in the hopper, or approximately a 2% chance of landing the greatest prospect of his generation.

That 11-5 2017 season would really bite us in the ass in that model.

Many times your second and third round guys are good, but just need a season to be NFL ready.  If the season was to be cancelled, I might trade back and then again to pick up several more players in the 3rd round range and end up with about 11 guys rather than the 7 or so.

If the season is gonna be cancelled, if anything it would push the dedicated "love football" guys up the board. A big concern will probably be some guys getting lazy and getting way out of shape if they're over a year away from football. There's already a lot of guys who do that already in the space of time that is the current-off-season. It would probably also help guys who have injuries that shouldn't be a long-term concern, but may have impacted their availability this season. I would also think that it would push guys down who had off-field concerns. Again, if you're away from football and left to your own devices for over a year, those off-field issues are a lot more likely to pop up.

Archived