• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most 1st Team All-Pros Drafted Since 2000

The Huddler

28 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I would dispute he hits on more than most. Just like I said, he takes safer picks. He also misses more wildly than most.  But I will certainly admit this makes it look like it was more on coaching. 

Not true at all

That certainly is a slice of the pie. Maybe also compare our record over that time. Different GMs, Coaches and Owners yet we still have not turned the corner on stability or winning. The one time we glimpsed it all the people in charge couldn't get out of their own way.

I really hope Rhule is a change and not more of the same. Like his vision on players now I want to see some good coaching: teaching players, putting them into a position to succeed and game day/ in game adjustments.

36 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

Obviously it means the gm built a good roster but thd coach couldnt do anything with it

Wait a second---a dozen or so players over how many years is a "good roster?"  Let's not use words that carelessly.  How do you know the head coach didn't develop the players into all pros?  You think they were all pros when drafted--and the coach did nothing but suck?

No--the GM job is to build solid teams--and most GMs will tell you, you build the roster from the bottom up.  Marty used the first round to find icing to slather all over a stale, unimaginative cake.  Don't  get me wrong--Marty has a solid history of drafting solid first rounders at some positions, but when was the last time he drafted or signed a good DT before Thursday?  You have to address all needs all the time:

Other aspects of the GM's job---do you think his failures here are the head coach's fault?  If so, is it not his job to hire and fire the head coach?:

• Contracts and salary cap management
  • Drafting rounds 2-7
  • Trades
  • Hiring and firing the head coach when appropriate to do so
  • Extensions'
  • Signing free agents
  • Signing undrafted free agents
  • Building a 53-man roster that consistently wins.

52 minutes ago, Icege said:

Looks like they shorted us a few players:

Cam Newton
Kawann Short
Thomas Davis
Luke Kuechly
Josh Norman
Ryan Kalil
Christian McCaffrey
Kris Jenkins
Julius Peppers
Steve Smith
Jordan Gross
Deangelo Williams
Jon Beason
Evan Mathis (drafted by Carolina, got the recognition while with NO)
Greg Hardy

15 by my count

Andrew Norwell was not drafted by Carolina (UDFA), but did make an All Pro roster. Olsen & Tolbert were also selected, but were originally drafted by other franchises.

You are thinking pro bowl, not all pro.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Having some All Pros on a deeply flawed overall roster still equals a bad team.

If you can't find solid players at every position, you suck.  As an opposing head coach, I am going to attack your weakness.  The idea is to be formidable at every position.  We were great at some, terrible at others.  Why? 

1. The way to manage the cap is to keep as many drafted players on the roster as possible--which means you must do a good job drafting AFTER round 1.

2.  When you cannot draft players to find starters, future starters, and decent depth, you have to pay veterans to do it. Less cap space means less talent at some positions.

In my opinion, Marty does 1/10 of the job well.  This draft was different---Rhule knows the kinds of players he can win with and he was behind the late round finds.  Pride?  Rhule talked about how he was talking to him on Zoom.  Robinson (5th round)?  Rhule talked about conversations with his high school and college coaches (remember, the Big 12 rivalries).  The sixth rounder?  Rhule knew that only he had key information about Roy's speed and work ethic.  The reason this draft seems different is because it was different.  Marty will get credit for Roy, and Robinson, and Pride---and he deserves a lot of it.  But make no mistake about it--this was RHULE's draft.

A few weeks ago I looked into success of first round or upper first round QBs draft picks.  The best data I found reported it several ways, because they did not want to get into anointing All-Pro as the be-all, end-all standard.  They compared All-Pro, Pro Bowl, and a definition of bust that seemed reasonable. Their point was defining what equaled success was not a one-size-fits-all proposition.

Selecting All-Pros is not, in and of itself, a GMs job.  It's great when it happens, but a GM that selects more All-Pros than any other GM will eventually find himself out of a job if the team does not produce wins and playoff appearances (championships are beyond the reach of many organizations). 

The GM's job includes putting together a complete talent pool.  It is something the Panthers have failed at in general.  We are always sorely lacking at more than one position.  For years it was WRs.  We drafted some pretty decent-sounding WRs, and they never seemed to stick.  I think the same can be said of OL.  We had a success here and there, but we just had our franchise-best QB lose his job, in no small part to the fact that he was beaten like a rented mule behind our OL.  Those deficiencies span two GMs.

From where I sit, relying on less than one stellar draft pick per year on average is not going to sustain winning seasons.  It is what happens underneath that level.  I'd gladly trade half of the All-Pro numbers for the ability to not have a roster that is every year sorely lacking in a couple of areas.  That means getting quality at the middle round draft picks (and targeted FA signings), and sometimes finding that 5-7th round pick that sticks.  At least enough to not have glaring holes.

1 hour ago, jfra78 said:

Obviously it means the gm built a good roster but thd coach couldnt do anything with it

What?

It means Hurney put some fantastic players on the roster, not that the roster was fantastic. You clearly cant win with some All pro when most of the other players  are poo and we are in cap hell from stupid contracts.

Archived