• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most 1st Team All-Pros Drafted Since 2000

The Huddler

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's almost as if some people can't grasp that making 1st round draft picks isn't the end all be all of an NFL GM's job. You either build a consistent winning football organization or you don't. The details of how you do it really don't matter. It just matters that you do it.

Correct.

I have long said that many Panthers fans prefer to be able to shout LUUUUUUUKE on Sundays, watch Cam during the pregame warm ups, and be able to point to GO and TD as men you would love to see your daughter date....we just don't care much for winning.

If we were a consistent winning football team, I couldn't give two shits about the word Panthers ever coming out of Colin Cowherds mouth, don't care if I know a single players name, and don't care if they ever make a pro bowl.  Go win.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

You are thinking pro bowl, not all pro.

Those were All Pro guys. Hardy and DLo were 2nd team tho, which means there was one more second team guy from that list but I'm pretty sure all of them were first team.

Unless they're not including Mathis?

59 minutes ago, Smithers said:

But...there are a lot of GMs that miss on first rounders too.  Hell Matt Millen didn’t hit in a single first rounder during his tenure, and they were all top 10 picks.  

Yup, and he got fired...honestly well after he should have.  Trotting out garbage GMs isn't a glowing comparison for Marty.

2 hours ago, jfra78 said:

Obviously it means the gm built a good roster but thd coach couldnt do anything with it

No, it doesn’t automatically mean that. It means we had the stars and not a good entire roster. I think the coaching hurt us as well as I don’t think much at all of Ron and crew.

Let’s put it this way, it took Marty plus Dave to build the 2015 roster. People get caught up in the stars but you have to fill in the rest. Short, Star, Ealy, Tillman, Bene, Coleman, Harper, Allen, Oher, Norwell, Turner, Ginn even Remmers and Funchess all contributed to going from 2011-2014 to 2015. I’m sure I am missing others but the people who say 2015 was all Marty are missing the roster building that has to happen. Stars alone don’t win SBs.

Marty has been awful since 2009 at building a roster. His 1 or 2 player drafts meant there were too many holes. Look at the team we had pre-draft, we went from 4 out of 5 years in the playoff to one of the worst teams in the league in two years because we got DJ Moore and glimpses of Burns and that’s about it. Everything else was average or well below average.

If I told you that we had a team with Steve Smith, Ryan Kalil, Jordan Gross, Travelle Wharton, Geoff Schwartz, Charles Johnson, Greg Hardy, John Beason, Chris Gamble and others would you think that they went 2-14? That team had 4 first team all-pros, 6 players who went to pro-bowls and Charles Johnson/Chris Gamble who never made pro-bowls.

No idea if Marty will stay around. It’s obvious that the draft was heavily influenced by the coaches. Half or more of the draftees and FAs played for the coaches, played directly against the coaches or were recruited by the coaches.

3 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I would dispute he hits on more than most. Just like I said, he takes safer picks. He also misses more wildly than most.  But I will certainly admit this makes it look like it was more on coaching. 

How is a future All-pro a safe pick?  How was Cam considered a safe pick?  It was very controversial at the time.   If by safe you mean highly likely to be an All-pro then I hope he keeps making safe picks every year. Like Brown this year.

49 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yup, and he got fired...honestly well after he should have.  Trotting out garbage GMs isn't a glowing comparison for Marty.

No but when many here says he is terrible and needs to be fired it is good to show that comparatively he has done a very good job.

1 hour ago, Paintballr said:

Good metric, but let’s look at it as the most recent era and the wasted time with Ron & Cam/Luke 

2011-2019 All Pro 

Luke - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Ryan Kalil - 2013, 2015

Mike Tolbert - 2013, 2015 

Cam Newton - 2015 

Thomas Davis 2015 

CMC - 2019 

Josh Norman - 2015 

Andrew Norwell - 2017

2015 skews the list/number a little as a super bowl run will most likely get you All Pros just off name and recognition (Tolbert, Norman) as they weren’t voted All Pro again in their career after 

From 2010-2019 we had a “total” of 8 players who were all pro, and only 3 were all pro for multiple years

2000 - 2009 

Steve Smith - 2001, 2005 

Peppers - 2004, 2006

Jenkins - 2002, 2003 

Sauerbraun - 2001, 2002

Gross - 2008 

Beason - 2008

Moose - 2004 

From 2000 - 2009 we had 7 players who were all pro, and only 4 players with multiple years. What’s surprising about that group is only 1 player from the super bowl run (Jenkins) was voted All Pro vs 2015 was 6 players. So 2015 could have skewed the “talent” evaluation 

Then why doesn't New England lead the list by 10 or 20 players if this theory held any water.

11 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

How is a future All-pro a safe pick?  How was Cam considered a safe pick?  It was very controversial at the time.   If by safe you mean highly likely to be an All-pro then I hope he keeps making safe picks every year. Like Brown this year.

I meant LBs and RBs in a lotta cases (easy transition, low risk low reward positions). Cam was only controversial to numbskulls. But yea, no one is arguing Hurney isn’t money in the first round.  I hope his first round success continues and his rounds 2+ performance this time is way better than his history.  And I hope it’s his swan song. 

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Then why doesn't New England lead the list by 10 or 20 players if this theory held any water.

I'm sure the Patriots are very jealous of our success in this area.

I guess they'll have to settle for winning Super Bowls as a consolation prize.

To be fair to Hurney, we’ll never know how much autonomy he’s had. There’s evidence that JR was pretty heavy handed behind the scenes. It wouldn’t surprise me if Fox and Rivera were 100% JR hires. It’s pretty obvious that Tepper had a lot of say-so in Rhule’s hiring.

Archived