• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CB free agents

ncfan

Still some intriguing guys out there.  No stars, but some guys who either need to prove themselves or vets who've been cut for younger guys.

1. Prince Amukamara- vet, cut to clear cap for the Bears.   Was on the Giants the year Rhule was on their staff.   Perfect vet type to help these young guys.

2. Darquez Denard- 2014 1st rd pick.  Guy who needs to prove himself.

3. Dre Kirkpatrick- big athletic CB, cut by the Bengals.  Vet.

4. Logan Ryan- vet, 2 time superbowl champ with the Patriots.

5. Brandon Carr- 34 year old vet

Realistically we need two vets and I’ll be satisfied with our young defense going into next season. It’s going to be wild enough not having a traditional camp, and anyone with a brain does not expect us to be a contending defense until next season minimum. I am extremely excited about the future, and to see what the young players can do, but we will see many rookie mistakes that hopefully get cleaned up by seasons end.

2 minutes ago, MMA said:

But Kenny Robinson who we just draft has red flags. 

Not even remotely the same.

Robinson had a classmate finish a classroom assignment for him while he attended a funeral.

Apple has gotten into it with teammates, called out coaches, mom had called out coaches.  Been called out by teammates for being lazy, etc etc etc

Tramaine Brock is a name I keep seeing as a Panther target.  I'll pass on Dennard and Ryan because they played primarily in the slot.  Cockrell is a zone corner and I don't know if he fits the new defense.

Need that guy who can somewhat cover Jones, Evans and Thomas and I don't know that we are going to get him this year (Amukamara is probably your best chance).

EDIT: Fwiw, Tramon Williams has ties to our secondary coach.

22 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Ross Cockrell please. Played surprisingly well last year coming back from that horrific injury and is a Pros pro. He should be even better after having a full year to get back into playing shape and can play multiple spots. 

0670F150-66E3-4E02-8F8C-8C678FE47F5B.jpeg

The only question I have here is why hasn't it happened yet? He obviously doesn't have a big market right now, and he played well last year. Does the staff know something we don't? I would have assumed that the second it became evident that we couldn't afford Bradberry, we'd have been all over Cockrell.

At this point? Just go into training camp and see if you have to sign a vet. If the young guys are picking up enough and headed in the right direction, stay the course and take the lumps now. If it looks like our Oline in preseason last year, bring in help. Allowing a ginormous issue that is known and not improving to exist is dumb but it's worth a try to see what we have with all of the youth.

31 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Ross Cockrell please. Played surprisingly well last year coming back from that horrific injury and is a Pros pro. He should be even better after having a full year to get back into playing shape and can play multiple spots. 

0670F150-66E3-4E02-8F8C-8C678FE47F5B.jpeg

While I like Cockrell, I don’t think we bring him back.  It looks as though we are looking for guys who can play a little more man coverage in the Snow defense.  Cockrell is good in zone.  Horrible in man coverage. 

I am of this mindset---we drafted 2 CBs--they need to play--so let them.  Sorta like Bradberry and Worley a few years back.

Bring in a Cockrell, and does that mean Pride goes to the bench? 

There were so many years when Rivera did not know what he had in the offseason because he did not play developing players.

If we have Jackson, Pride, Oliver. and maybe Burris and Corn---(I am not convinced that Burris returns to CB--but he could)--put em out there.

Up front, we need to do the same with Brown (we will) and Gross-Matos.  We need to start Chinn.  Roy--part of the rotation.  Robinson?  Yes--by all means--play him a lot.

Real World Update:  That is how you develop talent--do not bury them--play them.  Vets may be a good influence and helpful, but they are competitors.  Their job is not to groom their replacements, but it makes for good theater.  It is dog eat dog.  Coaches develop players--not teammates.  How many WRs blossomed here when Smitty was the #1 WR?  Since Moose was already here---the answer is ZERO.  How many LTs blossomed behind Gross?  Centers behind Kalil?  It sounds good, but it is nonsense.  They help you by making you compete with them--they are not there to teach you squat.

Archived