• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Bridgwater is anythign less than elite, the front office screwed up

AU-panther

7 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

Watching Hurney draft QBs was always super nuts. It's amazing how someone can be so incredibly bad at finding talent at the QB position. I realize your chances are pretty low outside of the 1st round, but my god he couldn't even find backup quality players. Matt Moore is the only guy that springs to mind as a guy who worked out to be a quality backup QB in the NFL, and I'm almost certain he was an UDFA.

You look at the guys he drafted and it's head scratchingly bad. The first I remember is LeFors, who played for Louisville, and doesn't have a single NFL stat line. Clausen, who was horrible. Armanti Edwards, which we made into a failed WR. And then we have Grier, who just showed 0 promise to me last year and we drafted him earlier than many thought he would go.

I mean, if you want to feel good about Teddy, the best thing he has going for him playing for the Panthers is that Hurney didn't draft him.

Honestly, I'd say the same about WRs and DTs. Before Moore (and hopefully Brown), Hurney's track record at those two positions was absolutely atrocious.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, I'd say the same about WRs and DTs. Before Moore (and hopefully Brown), Hurney's track record at those two positions was absolutely atrocious.

Are you trying to tell me Kerry Colbert isn't really a Panthers Legend?

Bridgewater has only started 34 games in the league. He isn't going to be elite this year but he is the best option of the choices mentioned by the OP. At 20 millions it isn't expensive to keep him and no way keeps us from drafting someone else next year. Right now it is a win-win for everyone still not butthurt over releasing Cam.

I will note that 2009 and 2010 were notoriously awful QB classes and plenty scouts identified the red flags with Jimmy. 

And even though Jerry set up 2010 for a dud season with Fox as a lame duck coach, there weren't many young options either.  Those were prime years that helped build the team that we eventually had around Cam with a decent OL at least starting out.  Colt McCoy, Sanchez, McGee, The Golden Calf of Bristol, just god awful QBs in the drafts those years/Jake's twilight.  Moore and Carr were better bets but yes, those were dark times.  Before the dabbing.    

Even in 2008 where we could have stayed ahead of it in finding a successor, there was basically Flacco and Ryan.  The rest? Brian Brohm, Chadd Henne, Kevin O'Connell.  It's just an absolute crapshoot even high in the draft picks 1-40.    QBs don't grow on trees but you can't just hedge your bets on a high pick.  Just look at all these classes in retrospect. 

• There's the rare UDFA's who become starters (Romo, Delhommes of the world).  We just witnessed what happens when you throw one in that's not necessarily a starter caliber. 
  • The occasional successful mid to late rounders (Brady, Wilson, Dak, Jimmy G, Dalton, Cousins, Minshew)
  • The highly drafted (1st rounders) but bigger risks/rewards (Watson, Mahomes, Jackson, Brees, Rodgers, Tannehill)
  • Then these top of draft class types (Winston, Ryan, Trubiski, Stafford, Mayfield, Murray, Goff)

I dunno but I'm not getting all bent out of shape if we don't get a top-3 pick next year.  We basically just got #2-4 overall in getting Derrick Brown at 7.  

I'd like to think there's some decent 1st round talent at the QB spot beyond this blonde haired dude that be the starter on a SB squad.  There's some really interesting athletic QBs incoming with huge upside.  We've got some interesting options on the horizon and most people should recognize Teddy B isn't long term.   Just relax about not getting Lawrence.  D focus this year, O focus next to build around CMC/Moore.   

Joe Burrows in the right system, just won a national championship.  Is he the great QB that can take Cincy to great heights?

Teddy could be the good, not great, QB, that in the right system can do really well.  Remains to be seen

So, now our $20M starting QB has to be elite or it is an awful deal, because two guys who are closer to being out of the league than they are to being elite at this point took next to nothing to be backups.  One trying to finish his career on an upnote behind a $31M starter, the other trying to resurrect his as an understudy. 

Where exactly does that place the bar for Dak Prescott at over $31M a year?  And that was based on the Cowboys tagging him.

I have a flat spot in my forehead from slapping it, due to some of the thinking I read here.

1 hour ago, davos said:

I will note that 2009 and 2010 were notoriously awful QB classes and plenty scouts identified the red flags with Jimmy. 

And even though Jerry set up 2010 for a dud season with Fox as a lame duck coach, there weren't many young options either.  Those were prime years that helped build the team that we eventually had around Cam with a decent OL at least starting out.  Colt McCoy, Sanchez, McGee, The Golden Calf of Bristol, just god awful QBs in the drafts those years/Jake's twilight.  Moore and Carr were better bets but yes, those were dark times.  Before the dabbing.    

Even in 2008 where we could have stayed ahead of it in finding a successor, there was basically Flacco and Ryan.  The rest? Brian Brohm, Chadd Henne, Kevin O'Connell.  It's just an absolute crapshoot even high in the draft picks 1-40.    QBs don't grow on trees but you can't just hedge your bets on a high pick.  Just look at all these classes in retrospect. 

• There's the rare UDFA's who become starters (Romo, Delhommes of the world).  We just witnessed what happens when you throw one in that's not necessarily a starter caliber. 
  • The occasional successful mid to late rounders (Brady, Wilson, Dak, Jimmy G, Dalton, Cousins, Minshew)
  • The highly drafted (1st rounders) but bigger risks/rewards (Watson, Mahomes, Jackson, Brees, Rodgers, Tannehill)
  • Then these top of draft class types (Winston, Ryan, Trubiski, Stafford, Mayfield, Murray, Goff)

I dunno but I'm not getting all bent out of shape if we don't get a top-3 pick next year.  We basically just got #2-4 overall in getting Derrick Brown at 7.  

I'd like to think there's some decent 1st round talent at the QB spot beyond this blonde haired dude that be the starter on a SB squad.  There's some really interesting athletic QBs incoming with huge upside.  We've got some interesting options on the horizon and most people should recognize Teddy B isn't long term.   Just relax about not getting Lawrence.  D focus this year, O focus next to build around CMC/Moore.   

Funny thing is Bridgewater was a first round draft choice. And before he had a  terrible pro day, he was predicted to be the first quarterback taken in the draft. Interesting story.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2045751-from-first-overall-to-free-falling-what-happened-to-teddy-bridgewater

5 hours ago, stirs said:

Teddy came back from injury to run the New Orleans offense with precision.  I figure we will have somewhat the same type of offense as far as scheme.  Our coaches got him to run the offense, hope for an incredible performance, but knows that we will probably pick our QB next season and he can sit while Teddy runs it for the 2nd season.  Then I understand, it is cheaper to let Teddy go after 2 seasons.

Not that difficult to surmise

The question becomes, if Teddy ran it with such precision knowing that this is Bridges last year, why no adjustments to keep him off the market 

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

Funny thing is Bridgewater was a first round draft choice. And before he had a  terrible pro day, he was predicted to be the first quarterback taken in the draft. Interesting story.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2045751-from-first-overall-to-free-falling-what-happened-to-teddy-bridgewater

Teddy had been criticized for wearing gloves. He made a bad call to ditch the gloves during his pro day.

Archived