• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF roster rankings

AU-panther

About right, but with any minimal improvement in Washington or Miami they're probably better.  Washington's defense has the potential to make a big jump, and Miami has some talent there as well.  Whether it be Haskins or Tua coming in eventually, they're both average QB play away from being better than us, if they're not already. 

My hope is Jacksonville catching fire for a month for Minshew mania part deux.  They have Miami, Cincy, Houston, and Detroit in a 4 week span.  If they can somehow pull 2 wins there, and find 1-2 more throughout the season they could play themselves out of the #1 pick. 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Yep. So glad we’ll spend $90M on Teddy, Short and Anderson this year and next and make sure we avoid the top pick. Grier could have been our Clausen and Weinke to get us Cam/Luke and Peppers/Gross in back to back drafts and $90M to sign two stud FAs when the young guys were ready to compete. Throw in a comp 3rd and 4th to add the best two interior OL in addition to our full set of top of the round picks. SMH. Who thought this was a competitive roster for 2020?

You and I tend to agree on this ^ but I'll try to make a counterargument.

Option 1:  They think we will still be bad enough even with Teddy that we still have a great chance of drafting one of the top 3 QBs.  Then Teddy would be a great "bridge" QB for the young guy to learn from.  This might actually happen even with Teddy, but the chances are definitely less you would have to believe.

Option 2:  They think Teddy has a chance to be a franchise QB in our system and if so we really don't need a QB next year.  No matter how great a college QB prospect is, they are still a gamble, just like Teddy.  At this point we can fix the rest of our roster next offseason.  Teddy wasn't so much about winning now but more of fixing one of our needs now.  We have enough needs that we can't address all of them in one year, so you fix the ones you can, when you can.

Option 3:  They really think they can outcoach everyone and win now.  This is the ego I often refer to.  By the very nature of their jobs, coaches and GMs, tend to think they are smarter than their counterparts.

Personally I think they are probably thinking option 2.  You could make an argument that almost every unit on our team needed help.  Eveyone knows you can't fix them in one off season.  So maybe thinking went like this.

QB:  either sign someone or draft someone next year.  Teddy became available at a price they were happy with.  Fix this year.

RB:  Happy with CMC

WR:  Anderson became available.  For whatever reason they feel like he fits what they want.  Fix this year.

OL:  Quick passing attack with Teddy.  Not as important.  It can wait somewhat.

TE:  Maybe not used as much in their system.  It can wait.

DL:  Great prospect lined up where we were picking in first, we'll fix this year.  Maybe if Okuda would have fell we would have fixed DL next year, who knows.

LB:  signed Shaq, the rest will have to wait?

DBs:  lets draft a few, if they work out we are ahead of schedule, if not fix next year?

To me the biggest questions marks are QB, OL, LB, TE, LB, and DBs.  Hopefully some of those surprise us this year and that is less we have to address next.

26 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

About right, but with any minimal improvement in Washington or Miami they're probably better.  Washington's defense has the potential to make a big jump, and Miami has some talent there as well.  Whether it be Haskins or Tua coming in eventually, they're both average QB play away from being better than us, if they're not already. 

My hope is Jacksonville catching fire for a month for Minshew mania part deux.  They have Miami, Cincy, Houston, and Detroit in a 4 week span.  If they can somehow pull 2 wins there, and find 1-2 more throughout the season they could play themselves out of the #1 pick. 

Miami had the same number of wins as us last year and they were trying to tank.  Wouldn't surprise me if they won a few more this year.

I think RR will have the Redskins playing smart, and good solid defense.  That always gives you the chance to win some games during the regular season.

Really so much of who is in the bottom 5 will be determined  by QB play or really lack of.

53 minutes ago, bababoey said:

You must be forgetting the 2001 team. 

I think that roster was actually better. Sure we had a terrible record but a fair amount of those games were pretty close.

So, if this roster is such hot garbage then it should reveal just how good the coaching staff can be.  Within the confines that the virus has created ,limited contact, and reduced preseason, if the Panthers even win 6 games, Rhule should be Coach of the year.  IMO he is off to a terrific start in team building. We’re now close to seeing if scheme, player development and game management can be implemented at the same high level.  Pretty soon we won’t have to argue about articles, we’ll have actual performance.

5 hours ago, AU-panther said:

You and I tend to agree on this ^ but I'll try to make a counterargument.

Option 1:  They think we will still be bad enough even with Teddy that we still have a great chance of drafting one of the top 3 QBs.  Then Teddy would be a great "bridge" QB for the young guy to learn from.  This might actually happen even with Teddy, but the chances are definitely less you would have to believe.

Option 2:  They think Teddy has a chance to be a franchise QB in our system and if so we really don't need a QB next year.  No matter how great a college QB prospect is, they are still a gamble, just like Teddy.  At this point we can fix the rest of our roster next offseason.  Teddy wasn't so much about winning now but more of fixing one of our needs now.  We have enough needs that we can't address all of them in one year, so you fix the ones you can, when you can.

Option 3:  They really think they can outcoach everyone and win now.  This is the ego I often refer to.  By the very nature of their jobs, coaches and GMs, tend to think they are smarter than their counterparts.

Personally I think they are probably thinking option 2.  You could make an argument that almost every unit on our team needed help.  Eveyone knows you can't fix them in one off season.  So maybe thinking went like this.

QB:  either sign someone or draft someone next year.  Teddy became available at a price they were happy with.  Fix this year.

RB:  Happy with CMC

WR:  Anderson became available.  For whatever reason they feel like he fits what they want.  Fix this year.

OL:  Quick passing attack with Teddy.  Not as important.  It can wait somewhat.

TE:  Maybe not used as much in their system.  It can wait.

DL:  Great prospect lined up where we were picking in first, we'll fix this year.  Maybe if Okuda would have fell we would have fixed DL next year, who knows.

LB:  signed Shaq, the rest will have to wait?

DBs:  lets draft a few, if they work out we are ahead of schedule, if not fix next year?

To me the biggest questions marks are QB, OL, LB, TE, LB, and DBs.  Hopefully some of those surprise us this year and that is less we have to address next.

I here you and I’m afraid it is ego driving it. I’m just a bit disappointed that we had the perfect opportunity. How many times do you have a great chance at a top pick when you need a franchise QB and you are looking at one of the top rated (no guarantees but ratings wise) QB classes at the top? How many times when you are rebuilding do you have a chance to shed salary and build huge cap space and roll it over a couple years when the young guys are seasoned? How many times are you rebuilding and that shedding could lead to 4 solid comp picks when you need them to rebuild an OL?

It is what it is but it’ll be really disappointing to need a QB in a few years and watch other teams turn it around with guys we could have had. Nothing we can change now, but damn if there’s nothing else to discuss. 

12 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Miami had the same number of wins as us last year and they were trying to tank.  Wouldn't surprise me if they won a few more this year.

I think RR will have the Redskins playing smart, and good solid defense.  That always gives you the chance to win some games during the regular season.

Really so much of who is in the bottom 5 will be determined  by QB play or really lack of.

I think that front office was trying to tank but as I have said before, it is difficult to get a full team and coaching staff to commit to losing. All these professionals have pride and they are competitive. You can't go out there and preach a losing attitude. It just doesn't work.

You have to get to a losing attitude naturally, by complacency and ineptitude. You know...like the 2019 Panthers!

15 hours ago, t96 said:

I think that roster was actually better. Sure we had a terrible record but a fair amount of those games were pretty close.

That team and this team have the same problem.  Unproven talent.  This team has more talent than like the 2002 Fox team but they have not played enough to know what the hell they are doing.  Same as the 2001 team.  When you have that you get Deon Grant giving up a 90 yard TD to the Cowboys to lose the game in the last minute, Kris Jenkins not knowing what the hell he is doing and pancaking a guy and letting the running back run right past him.  Smith only seeing the field on returns because he does not know the offense. 

This team has talent, but I don't know if they know what to do with it and the virus sure has not helped.

23 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, our depth is non-existent and our starters at LB outside of Shaq, CB, TE, OL outside of Moton, and maybe even DE have to be on paper at least near the bottom of the NFL. We're playing the long game with this roster. Nothing about this roster says "win now". Everything about this roster says "build a contender over the next 2-3 years".

Except for one little pesk...wait...2 rea....9 really pesky decisions the FO made over the last two off seasons.

This entire team was in position to do this right....for the first time in team history.  But we have an inexperienced owner who has no clue how to build a football team.  A very experienced GM who knows how to build a consistent loser.  A wholly inexperienced coaching staff.  A QB who looks like a scared Andy Dalton.  I mean, we could go on and on.

This is a total disaster.

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think that front office was trying to tank but as I have said before, it is difficult to get a full team and coaching staff to commit to losing. All these professionals have pride and they are competitive. You can't go out there and preach a losing attitude. It just doesn't work.

You have to get to a losing attitude naturally, by complacency and ineptitude. You know...like the 2019 Panthers!

Here's the deal, Tepper should have made Hurney win with "his guys".

You spent a top 100 pick on a QB....play him.

You don't know how to build, draft, or pay for an offensive line....put your guys out there and win with them.

You let our best defender walk, while overpaying an off-ball LB....put your defense out there and win

You kept KK around another season...he better contribute...especially with what you are paying him.

Etc.  Either you win 10 games this season, or you are out faster than Ron was.

Hurney made his bed, he should have been forced to sleep in it.  Instead, we did what we always do...try to win by throwing poo against the wall and hoping it sticks.  We all (well, not all, some here are dumber than a box of rocks) know that this season was going to be a disaster, but we didn't embrace it, we tried to put duct tape on it.

Archived