• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was Hurney kept on for this season solely to be the scapegoat?

t96

It's looking like we're going to have a truly terrible record this year, probably 3 or less wins. You can't have that kind of a season and justify keeping everyone in place at the end of the season, fans and media would tear the owner/team apart for that. Tepper has already committed to a 3-5 year rebuild, as he's directly alluded to in interviews, so I think it's pretty clear he's going to give Rhule and the coaching staff and all the FO people he's brought in this year a long leash and job security this year and probably the next year or two at least.

So, did Tepper wait to fire Hurney to do it after this first terrible year of the tank so that it can look like we made a move to improve the team further after the season? Despite his comments about Hurney as a "great talent evaluator" I don't really get the sense that Tepper sees Hurney being here much longer, and firing/replacing the GM (especially a disliked one like Hurney) after a bad season is a big move that can appease fans/media following a dumpster fire season.

And if this is the reason Hurney is still here, is it a valid reason for you and would you gain the respect back for Tepper that was lost when we saw that Hurney was kept around?

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

It's looking like we're going to have a truly terrible record this year, probably 3 or less wins. You can't have that kind of a season and justify keeping everyone in place at the end of the season, fans and media would tear the owner/team apart for that. Tepper has already committed to a 3-5 year rebuild, as he's directly alluded to in interviews, so I think it's pretty clear he's going to give Rhule and the coaching staff and all the FO people he's brought in this year a long leash and job security this year and probably the next year or two at least.

So, did Tepper wait to fire Hurney to do it after this first terrible year of the tank so that it can look like we made a move to improve the team further after the season? Despite his comments about Hurney as a "great talent evaluator" I don't really get the sense that Tepper sees Hurney being here much longer, and firing/replacing the GM (especially a disliked one like Hurney) after a bad season is a big move that can appease fans/media following a dumpster fire season.

And if this is the reason Hurney is still here, is it a valid reason for you and would you gain the respect back for Tepper that was lost when we saw that Hurney was kept around?

Not really. Why not just move on and get a good GM? That would make me respect you, not fuging keeping some failure of a GM around to be a "scapegoat." Especially if he is actively harming the organization's future with new contracts(Thompson, CMC, etc.). 

If that isn't the case and Hurney is just a figurehead, that makes all the moves even worse.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Not really. Why not just move on and get a good GM? That would make me respect you, not fuging keeping some failure of a GM around to be a "scapegoat." Especially if he is actively harming the organization's future with new contracts(Thompson, CMC, etc.). 

If that isn't the case and Hurney is just a figurehead, that makes all the moves even worse.

Didn't Tepper interview or try to interview several candidates this year? Also some speculation that he's obsessed with trying to bring Colbert over here from PIT and he was extended 1 year so could be an option after the season. I think timing may have played a factor.

The premise of the OP assumes Rhule is the one with final say of the roster this year, which is not known but seems possible.

Just now, t96 said:

Didn't Tepper interview or try to interview several candidates this year? Also some speculation that he's obsessed with trying to bring Colbert over here from PIT and he was extended 1 year so could be an option after the season. I think timing may have played a factor.

The premise of the OP assumes Rhule is the one with final say of the roster this year, which is not known but seems possible.

I don't recall if he actually ever "formally" interviewed any of the candidates. I know it was rumored we talked to a few front office guys(including the guy from NE). Maybe he is waiting for the "right" guy. I fuging hope so because the alternative is a nightmare for the future of this franchise. I say that not even in regards to Hurney but in regards to having an owner that makes those kind of decisions.

I wouldn't assume Rhule has final say. After all, Shaq was extended without a coach at all. 

I honestly have no idea what is going on with Hurney or why the hell he is still here. It's absolutely baffling. There has been some speculation from people who at least used to have some decent sources that this might be the case, at least in terms of scapegoating Hurney for the Cam move. Then again, Cam has been gone for months and yet Marty remains so who knows?

Just now, t96 said:

So glad you asked this. If I did it wouldn’t have gone well. And Colbert was a serious candidate until things fell apart. He wasn’t interested in a rebuild. 

I’m of the opinion that Shaq’s contract was the last real decision Hurney made. Tepper gave Ruhle 9M/year for a long time. They are not asking the guy making about 1M to make vital decisions. 

He’s going to take the blame for letting Cam go, and anything else this year. But Ruhle has total control. If he didn’t, Andrew Berry would be GM right now. But Ruhle, not Hurney, wouldn’t give up control. 

I don’t think for one second Hurney would be for cutting Cam. But he knew he was the only one who didn’t so what was he going to say. 

None of this means Ruhle won’t be successful. Just the way things look. And not a bad idea in the grand scheme. 

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly have no idea what is going on with Hurney or why the hell he is still here. It's absolutely baffling. There has been some speculation from people who at least used to have some decent sources that this might be the case, at least in terms of scapegoating Hurney for the Cam move. Then again, Cam has been gone for months and yet Marty remains so who knows?

But cutting him has only looked real bad for about 8 days. Plus there is plenty more to throw on his back on his way out the door. Kk, Paradis, Boston, Shaq???, no OL signed, Teddy???. Hurney could eat all that too. 

Archived