• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF recap of the game

AU-panther

22 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

You don't even know what the team was trying to do, none of us here do.  Maybe the coaches did want him to push the ball more withing the "WCO game plan"

Just because you run WCO doesn't mean you aren't allowed to throw past five yards.

Did Burrow have a larger average depth of target at LSU?  I would guess yes.

The stats themselves aren't stupid, its up to people to decide how to interpret them.

Here are the questions you have to ask:

Did he throw short because that is what the team wanted?

Did he miss or ignore opportunities to push the ball?  that maybe even the coaches wanted?

If the coaches are content with his pass selection is it because they don't' think he can do more or is he running the offense just like they want?

That doesn't defend making an analysis based on the stats. As a matter of fact, it reinforces my argument.

19 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

terrible analogy

if only because nba bigs with high shooting percentages actually have an identifiable elite skill. short passes to the middle of the field are relatively easy. longer passes are difficult. the offense is tailored to be as friendly to teddy as possible. but it's not going to be an efficient offense. currently in the bottom 3rd of the league in points per game.

2 hours ago, Mage said:

It isn't "anti-Teddy."  It's just watching the game.

Maybe the majority of this place should try understanding what exactly they’re watching. 

1 week prior everyone watches this OL get destroyed every time Teddy dropped back. So how does Brady adjust? By getting the ball out of Teddy’s hand quickly and designing short/quick plays. Even so, the OL looked AWFUL on Sunday but they were able to overcome some of these due to play design. So what does the Huddle do this week? Bash Teddy for his average depth of target... smh. 

Go through that Twitter thread. You’ll see why the game plan was what it was

10 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Maybe the majority of this place should try understanding what exactly they’re watching. 

1 week prior everyone watches this OL get destroyed every time Teddy dropped back. So how does Brady adjust? By getting the ball out of Teddy’s hand quickly and designing short/quick plays. Even so, the OL looked AWFUL on Sunday but they were able to overcome some of these due to play design. So what does the Huddle do this week? Bash Teddy for his average depth of target... smh. 

Go through that Twitter thread. You’ll see why the game plan was what it was

To be fair, PFF is more to blame for this than the Huddle.

But again, this is why I hate stat based analysis. Way too often I see people relying on stats because they don't know what they're watching.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

But again, this is why I hate stat based analysis. Way too often I see people relying on stats because they don't know what they're watching.

PFF? blame for what?

The stats are great because they often tell the truth when in fact people don't even realize what they are watching.

People tend to form opinions off snippets of information, a great play here or terrible play there, a highlight on Espn or a comment from a poster on the forum.  Stats on the other hand help you see the full picture.  If people don't understand the stats then that is a different problem but not the fault of the stats for the company that likes to post them.

Lets use your comment for example, yes WCO offense is predicated on short passing, but maybe the stats tell us at LSU Burrow threw deeper more often then Teddy does.  Maybe that tells us that maybe within the WCO game plan that Teddy is being more conservative than what the coaches even want.  

So forming an opinion on just what "you are watching" without context or stats is dangerous also.  You are assuming he executing the game plan exactly like they want.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

True and when those same people that don’t understand what they’re watching depend on PFF to tell them...

We get this thread 

PFF is trash. But even a blind dog finds a bone every once in a while. All you need are eyes to see Teddy is hot garbage at anything over ten yards 90% of the time. He’s hesitant, late on throws, misses opportunities (especially to DJ) and when he does throw over ten it’s often a wobbler that the receiver has to make a big adjustment for.  Just look at those two ridiculous catches by Samuel and CMC on that one epic late drive. It’s stuff like that that makes Teddy’s base numbers look good despite being a below average thrower of the football.  The ball control offense to keep Mahommes off the field was a fine game plan and we had success running the ball, so executing it wasn’t a problem. But when the throws are there and we need those yards and points, especially at the end of the game when the clock is ticking away, Teddy doesn’t deliver.  He keeps throwing short balls and ducks. 

2 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

PFF is trash. But even a blind dog finds a bone every once in a while. All you need are eyes to see Teddy is hot garbage at anything over ten yards 90% of the time. He’s hesitant, late on throws, misses opportunities (especially to DJ) and when he does throw over ten it’s often a wobbler that the receiver has to make a big adjustment for.  Just look at those two ridiculous catches by Samuel and CMC on that one epic late drive. It’s stuff like that that makes Teddy’s base numbers look good despite being a below average thrower of the football.  The ball control offense to keep Mahommes off the field was a fine game plan and we had success running the ball, so executing it wasn’t a problem. But when the throws are there and we need those yards and points, especially at the end of the game when the clock is ticking away, Teddy doesn’t deliver.  He keeps throwing short balls and ducks. 

PFF is trash but you agree with them?  interesting

You should look up where they have Teddy ranked among all QBs.  It might make your argument even better.

47 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

PFF? blame for what?

The stats are great because they often tell the truth when in fact people don't even realize what they are watching.

People tend to form opinions off snippets of information, a great play here or terrible play there, a highlight on Espn or a comment from a poster on the forum.  Stats on the other hand help you see the full picture.  If people don't understand the stats then that is a different problem but not the fault of the stats for the company that likes to post them.

Lets use your comment for example, yes WCO offense is predicated on short passing, but maybe the stats tell us at LSU Burrow threw deeper more often then Teddy does.  Maybe that tells us that maybe within the WCO game plan that Teddy is being more conservative than what the coaches even want.  

So forming an opinion on just what "you are watching" without context or stats is dangerous also.  You are assuming he executing the game plan exactly like they want.

Look back at Fua's post.

And yes, I'll take what I see and what I know about the game over stats 10 times out of 10. Especially so when people can pick and choose which stats fit their agenda.

Teddy is not my preferred style of QB and he has his flaws, but I still want to see what he can do with an upgraded interior line and a NFL caliber defense.

That doesn’t change the fact that if the opportunity presents itself to draft a stud QB prospect, you 100% take him.

Teddy isn't the best QB in the league and he certainly isn't being paid like he is.

this is his audition to show he belongs in that kind of discussion and he isn't there yet.  but, we can do far, far worse.

should we settle? no, but this gives us time to get the right guy in the draft IMO.

Teddy is roughly the 14th or 15th best QB in the league this year based on overall statistics.

Not bad. 

Not great.

He can be improved upon. He can also be replaced with a worse QB.

With a better supporting cast, Teddy could game manage us to the playoffs. As the current roster stands, Teddy does not have the ability to elevate the talent around him to the next level. 

Archived