• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New study shows vegans 43% more likely to suffer broken bones than meat eaters

Ricky Spanish

50% of vegans don’t convert because of the nutritional value. They convert because the meat/dairy industry is objectively one of the more destructive items plaguing our environment and because they care about animals. There are plenty of plant based proteins you can get all of the necessary amnio acids from which is really the only benefit meat provides. 

Anyways, it is 100% unsustainable to consume meat at the rate we do as a collective. Your grandkids will probably be vegan. 

5 minutes ago, saX man said:

Interesting article. Also why all this random vitriol and hyper-defensiveness? Geez people

Consider the source. One person dropped their opinion based on research and professional opinion. The other could have simply disagreed but resorted to name calling and divisive language.

Just now, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

50% of vegans don’t go convert because of the nutritional value. They convert because the meat/dairy industry is objectively one of the more destructive items plaguing our environment and because they care about animals. There are plenty of plant based proteins you can get all of the necessary amnio acids from which is really the only benefit meat provides. 

Anyways, it is 100% unsustainable to consume meat at the rate we do as a collective. Your grandkids will probably be vegan. 

Absolutely incorrect.

6 minutes ago, TreadmillTrackstar said:

Yes this right here. Hard to trust fully unless all factors exactly the same and even the athletes level of activity as well as dietary vitamin and caloric consumption. I think you could draw some theories here for sure but feels like the study results could be less than accurate if all variables to exactly the same even activity level of people in question.

They accounted for it among other things:

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-020-01815-3

My mom has been a nutritionist for years. Most people fail at being vegan because they take it too literally and don’t research enough about the supplementation needed and the dedication that really takes. It isn’t a simple as people think and so a they end up lot of deficiency and over time this becomes a health issue. It simply come down to giving your body the micros and macros it needs for your personal body and activity which is different for everyone. I don’t think any test can dig that deep into each individual persons body make up.

If someone is truly dedicated and has the resources and education, I don’t think this would be an issue. But that fits a very low minority of people.

For me personally, I’ve tried all the diets each for about 3-4 years, and honestly the cliche of everything in moderation truly seems to fit, and will for just about everyone IMO.

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vegans-43-more-likely-suffer-23052064

This only confirms my original stance on the matter: Veganism is perfectly fine for your average Joe blow trying to improve overall health and nutrition but detrimental to athletes in a physical sport like football.

Anyone on the team a vegan that we know of? 

The Mirror is a gossip magazine and the study the article refers to, without any links to the actual study, was conducted using data from the UK between 1993 and 2001. The 65,000 subjects were 'average Joe blows' from the UK, not professionally maintained athletes.

A lot of advancements in vegan nutrition have occurred since 2001. 

There are plenty of pro athletes who have thrived with a vegan diet, though a lot of that has to do with their access to the best registered dieticians, chefs, ingredients, etc. 

I also wouldn't trust anyone who purports to be a registered dietician who would dismiss a vegan diet out of hand. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Why? Cam didn't become vegan until after he started having injury issues and other than a bout of non-injury related COVID he's been healthy this season. 

hmm I remember him going pescatarian before the shoulder, then full vegan before the foot.

Archived