• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney Scks ...Got it.. How do we fix it

DaveThePanther2008

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

From all I have read, Hurney isn't the long term solution and isn't intended to be. He is already in his mid sixties and likely looking at when he will move on and what he wants to do. I suspect Tepper will find a spot for him and efforts will be on developing a good team to carry us forward.  But if Rhule is running the show then do we really need to replace Hurney right away? It seems they did a pretty good this year in the draft and even picked up some great free agents working together.

As long as Rhule is in charge of the picks I would be cool with it but Hurney's Free Agent deals are what seems to sink us.  I think he needs to be removed from that portion too.  If Tepper wants to let him fade away and not fire him.  I'm cool with that but IMO he needs to removed from all those decisions. 

33 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Word was he was trying to get Kevin Colbert but it didn't pan out.

Weren’t we also interested in the promising Eagles guy until Philly laughed in Teppers face and denied the interview because Marty was still ‘interim’ GM and it wouldn’t be a valid interview because it’d be a lateral move LoL

good times, hope Tepper learned he won’t get the best candidate without firing the idiot he has now

I said it in another thread, I don’t see why Hurney can’t just be put somewhere in the scouting department since scouting and charisma really his only strength, if he says no to demotion move on...it’s not like teams are lining up to hire him as GM as we already have 4 years of proof of that

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Replace Hurney with a real GM or abandon all hope. Get your paper bags ready.

Last year, Person said it wouldn't surprise him if Marty got a one year extension.

In his Q&A not long ago though, he characterized the failure of Greg Little as "an indictment" of him.

One fan (not me) took the opportunity to ask directly whether Marty might stay around a little longer. This was his answer: 

They have a few ways they can go here, including giving him a short extension so they can either groom someone on staff (Pat Stewart) or find someone they want. They could also keep Hurney on in a senior advisor-type role and hire someone this offseason. I know his contract runs through next year's draft.

2 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Weren’t we also interested in the promising Eagles guy until Philly laughed in Teppers face and denied the interview because Marty was still ‘interim’ GM and it wouldn’t be a valid interview because it’d be a lateral move LoL

good times, hope Tepper learned he won’t get the best candidate without firing the idiot he has now

I said it in another thread, I don’t see why Hurney can’t just be put somewhere in the scouting department since scouting and charisma really his only strength, if he says no to demotion move on...it’s not like teams are lining up to hire him as GM as we already have 4 years of proof of that

Andrew Berry, yeah. I think they may have been interested in some others but Berry's name is the only one I remember hearing mentioned.

And yeah, when teams heard that the position we were interviewing for didn't include roster control, they basically said "ha ha...no".

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

As long as Rhule is in charge of the picks I would be cool with it but Hurney's Free Agent deals are what seems to sink us.  I think he needs to be removed from that portion too.  If Tepper wants to let him fade away and not fire him.  I'm cool with that but IMO he needs to removed from all those decisions. 

I don't know that we did too bad this year. Seems guys like Burris,  Kerr, Anderson, Cooper, Miller, Okung, Bridgewater, etc. That is a pretty good group.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Andrew Berry, yeah. I think they may have been interested in some others but Berry's name is the only one I remember hearing mentioned.

And yeah, when teams heard that the position we were interviewing for didn't include roster control, they basically said "ha ha...no".

That's the time when I started getting legitimately nervous about this Hurney situation. We just gave up on talking to front office candidates because we didn't want to take roster control away from Marty. Yikes.

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's the time when I started getting legitimately nervous about this Hurney situation. We just gave up on talking to front office candidates because we didn't want to take roster control away from Marty. Yikes.

What really got me about that was that it seemed like neither Tepper, Marty nor anybody else within the organization appeared to know the rules.

(we looked like nitwits)

That said, I'm not entirely sure Marty still has full roster control, at least not now. And if he does, I question how long he's going to keep it.

Whenever this question comes up, I always go back to the interview Matt Rhule gave while he was still at Baylor, the one where he talked about what it would take for him to accept an NFL job. Rhule made it quite clear that he didn't want to "just be an Xs and Os guy". Control of "the program" was a big deal to him, and he cited guys like Bill Belichick as examples of the kind of role a coach should have in an organization.

I have no trouble believing that while Tepper might not have promised him full control immediately, he may well have given him some assurances that he'd have it in short order as long as he proved he was up to the task.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What really got me about that was that it seemed like neither Tepper, Marty nor anybody else within the organization appeared to know the rules.

(we looked like nitwits)

That said, I'm not entirely sure Marty still has full roster control, at least not now. And if he does, I question how long he's going to keep it.

Whenever this question comes up, I always go back to the interview Matt Rhule gave while he was still at Baylor, the one where he talked about what it would take for him to accept an NFL job. Rhule made it quite clear that he didn't want to "just be an Xs and Os guy". Control of "the program" was a big deal to him, and he cited guys like Bill Belichick as examples of the kind of role a coach should have in an organization.

I have no trouble believing that while Tepper might not have promised him full control immediately, he may well have given him some assurances that he'd have it in short order as long as he proved he was up to the task.

I think as long as Rhule has control of the players he wants and not Hurney.  I'm ok with that.  Rhule said he wanted fast, athletic players.  Hurney has an obsession with reaching for players and 9 times out of 10 they are big misses.  The latest being Little.

I don't think he should have anything to do with the actual contracts.  The players he wants yes, how much no. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Word was he was trying to get Kevin Colbert but it didn't pan out.

During that time I looked at Colberts draft history..... I swear hes another Herniay, if not worst... Ben covered up many misses and they have the best WR scots in the league by far. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

One losing season in twenty plus years...

Look at the players drafted. Again Ben and great cold weather D scheme covered it up. Its like me saying Bill Bliacheat has been been awful at drafting(he has), but you point to wins. You can draft poor and still win. Those two are proof and theres others. Peyton covered up for Polian during his era, he never hit on 3rd rounder in his whole career. 

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

Seriously, just demote him to somewhere within the scouting department. He's not a bad talent evaluator, so why not? But i'd rather just have him fired outright than have him remain our GM. Marty simply can not have that much power if you want to be a winning football team.

Archived