• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So was Hurney the one that decided to cut Cam?

PhillyB

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

I never thought I’d say this but Cam would’ve faired better here than NE. The talent on offense there is terrible. Plus we would’ve saved money to see how it played out. 

you can’t just look at the offense in New England and say cam would’ve been the same here. There are ten other guys on the field. That matters.

How does someone poo this, lol I only see facts. Not like he saying we would be SB champions but its obvious we have better skill position players

49 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

The smart thing to do would've been to keep Cam one more year and use the money not spent on Teddy on the oline. Even if Cam still couldn't play good, we would be a step ahead of filling our needs and then get our QB later. I believe even bad Cam would've put us at or closer to 500 than Teddy Poowater, especially after spending that extra money on the line.

Smart thing to do would've been to cut Cam and instead of signing Teddy, start Grier all year. We'd have Lawrence.

11 minutes ago, t96 said:

Smart thing to do would've been to cut Cam and instead of signing Teddy, start Grier all year. We'd have Lawrence.

This.

The biggest problem with cutting Cam was signing Teddy.  You were replacing a lower-end starter (and I love Cam... but that is what he is) with another lower-end starter.  

And that is why I am convinced Hurney was the one pounding the table the most for Bridgewater.  Yes, Rhule was probably somewhat okay with it, but the guy in the building who had the most to benefit from this team being competitive in 2020 was Hurney.  

We should have stuck with Kyle Allen and Will Grier.  And between Teddy and Cam, if we were gonna roll with a lower-end mediocre starter, it should have been Cam.  Because the differences between the two are negligible as a player, but Cam is a WAY bigger star in Carolina.  I would have much rather seen the last 16-games of Cam's career in Charlotte than Bridgewater.  Then again... there is a chance Cam would have won us a couple extra games that Bridgewater couldn't in the 4th.  

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

The other thing to take into consideration here is that I don't doubt MH knew this was his last year here. If he goes to the WFT that further proves that there was a plan all along. MH was in a lame duck year, and DT just gave him time to find his next gig. These people are professionals with many years of experience, and know that there is normally always another job for them in the league. I have a hard time thinking any of this is a surprise for anyone. 

Working in the NFL is very much like working in a big corp. This is all part of the process. Unless you are just blatantly bad at your job like Matt Millen or  Joe Douglas 

Jonathan Jones said just the opposite on Roaring Riot's podcast.

Jones said Marty loved being the Panthers GM and absolutely wanted to stay here.

36 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

This how I know you don’t watch games. Cam’s intermediate to deep passing game has been phenomenal this year. If you aren’t watching the games please don’t reply to my posts. 

I've watched most of the games and talk to people here all the time who've watched every snap (I live in Boston). It's clear that his arm is not the same as it was in his prime. Is it "completely shot?" Probably not, but it's hard to judge that without seeing him passing the ball more than he has. In 2018 his arm declined considerably as the season wore on and as the number of throws he had increased. It's hard to trust that that wouldn't happen again now and my guess is that was a big part of why NE had him throwing the ball so little. Either way, it is definitely 100% clear that the velocity on his passes has decreased and his throwing motion has gone in the wrong direction (he has to put so much effort into throwing the ball short/mid distance, it's unbelievable).

Just as big of an issue is that Cam is nowhere near the runner he was in his prime. He's lost both speed and strength in that regard. He's still a rock solid runner but no longer elite there. And without his elite deep ball and elite running he just isn't a good overall player. His decision making and reading of defenses this year has seemed to be even worse than it had ever been in Carolina -- whether that's lack of confidence because of degrading ability in other areas or still not being comfortable with the Pats' system, I don't know. But it has been apparent this year. 

Do I think Cam is 100% finished in this league? No. But he really shouldn't be starting for any team that wants to compete for a championship at this point. And it made no sense for a rebuilding team like us to keep him. None whatsoever. By all means, criticize the Teddy signing. I completely agree with most on that being a bad move. But that doesn't mean we should've kept Cam.

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

How many Patriots games have you watched this year? I’ve watched every snap. He’s still capable of being a good QB. He still has his faults but he has literally nothing around him on offense. Worst skill position group than some colleges and that’s not an exaggeration. 

Keeping Cam had nothing to do with him being washed or not. It was a win/win situation. If he’s washed we’re in a better position than we are now because we wouldn’t owe a QB any money. If he was good which I believe he would have done well in this offense then you have a QB for the next few years. 

The TB decision was just dumb. 

Exactly this. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Jonathan Jones said just the opposite on Roaring Riot's podcast.

Jones said Marty loved being the Panthers GM and absolutely wanted to stay here.

Would you state publicly that you want to leave your company and are expecting to leave at the year's end? This is a business. I consider that to be GM speak, just as I consider it Coach Speak. 

Kevin Colbert has said virtually the same thing, but he is all but done in Pit

Just now, TheCasillas said:

Would you state publicly that you want to leave your company and are expecting to leave at the year's end? This is a business. I consider that to be GM speak, just as I consider it Coach Speak. 

I don't. Jones is smart enough to know the difference, and honestly he was more emphatic than what I've written here.

The one thing I would say is that Marty's power was definitely diminished from the Richardson days. Under Jerry, Marty's word was law. Under Tepper, not so much.

Still, by all accounts he did still want to keep his job. It just wasn't gonna happen.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

My thing on this though is that it puts some teams in an odd position.

If say, you're the Jets or the Chargers, you might like the chance to get an early jump on the coaching search but you...ummm...haven't actually fired your current coach yet.

Awkward :Eyes_Emoji_42x42:

It'll be interesting to see if this change leads to some more heads rolling after this week's games. Teams that were planning to wait until after the season may feel like their hand is forced due to this.

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

How many Patriots games have you watched this year? I’ve watched every snap. He’s still capable of being a good QB. He still has his faults but he has literally nothing around him on offense. Worst skill position group than some colleges and that’s not an exaggeration. 

Keeping Cam had nothing to do with him being washed or not. It was a win/win situation. If he’s washed we’re in a better position than we are now because we wouldn’t owe a QB any money. If he was good which I believe he would have done well in this offense then you have a QB for the next few years. 

The TB decision was just dumb. 

this is the take.

regardless of whether cam was the long term solution, a bad year with cam would've had a better outcome than a bad year with bridgewater. we likely wouldn't owe him dead money next year and - as we're seeing - cam is a better player in spite of his deficiencies.

cam may have had this team competing for a playoff berth and at worst he'd have been less of a drag on the franchise in failure. hurney - if it was indeed hurney - made the wrong choice, again. it may have doomed him. 

Archived