• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'd give Haskins a look this offseason.

Jeremy Igo

Every single year there's a whole new crop of young, unproven QBs that you could kick the tires on, add to the roster, let them hold the clipboard and see if they pan out. We have two of those right now. And we'll probably swap one or both of them out this season with two more young guys who might just have something. Young, raw, unproven QBs are a dime a dozen.

My question is, why is Dwayne Haskins any more desirable than any of the young, unproven projects out there who - with the right mentoring, or the right coaching, or if he hits the weight room, or if he adjusts to NFL well, or if you scheme around him, or if he matures - might just be a star!

In fact, I'd say I'm less interested in him because we've already seen him play and flame out, where other QBs who we've never seen take a snap may actually be that diamond in the rough.

5 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Here is my issue though

He isnt a good football player either

Seriously, he was in a weak QB class and quite a few people had low grades on him.  But Dan Snyder had a thing for him (believe he went to the HS Snyder went to)

Had the Redskins taken Burns and Hurney took Little at that pick.   Then Little combined Haskins off the field issues with his play.  Would teams be excited "Little has tools, he was a top __ pick!"

He11 no.

In addition, for a HC to preach "Culture, Culture, Culture"  then go sign a guy that Rivera tossed.

Think this is more to do with just Rhule's frustration with the QBs, makes me think more and more that we're going to be hella aggressive trying to trade up for a QB in this draft

These are valid points, but we are not trading for him, using a draft pick for him, or paying him much more than an unguaranteed contract until he is cut or makes the team. 

Would I have traded a seventh rounder for him?  No.

Would I offer him a contract for 2021 that is guaranteed if he is cut?  No.

Frankly, I don't know if criticisms of him as a player are as valid as him as a person.  A player in a new system with different coaches can become better with the proper coaching, support, and teaching. There have been a lot of QBs who matured and improved in a new setting--but nobody has done this better or more often that the Minnesota Vikings---Fran Tarkenton, Randall Cunningham, Cousins--they even brought in QBs that were written off as done--Warren Moon and Brett Favre.  You could argue that all were more established, but they were "written off" to a degree. Tannehill is in the pro bowl when Miami wanted him shot at dawn. 

Haskins is immature.  If you go back to Cam Newton on the sideline when he was a rookie, he was immature as well.  He performed on the field, so it was tolerated and even celebrated here, but he pouted and shut down at times.  Haskins ' immaturity is evident both on and off the field,and I think that is his problem.  You just gave a 21-year old child with narcissism and a huge sense of entitlement millions of dollars.  Then you add a coach that does not know how to develop young players--a veteran lover who throws his QB under the bus and keeps him in the doghouse for poor performance.

Recipe for disaster. 

If you get his head right, you might have a decent player in 2 years or so.  A backup who learned how to be a professional QB.  Then showcase him in preseason and trade him if you like the QB we draft this year. 

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Hi Schultz- I never said he is a good player--I said he has a tremendous skill set.  The whole focus of Rhule's scouting is on skill sets--do they match the system.  So are you suggesting that we do not look at 23-year old kids with incredible skill sets because there is a long list of players who were good in college and not in the pros?  And you are right about that, but we are not dealing in volume here--we are looking to salvage a diamond out of the coal bins.

And his body of work in the NFL is concerning, but many QBs are thrown into the fire too soon and not properly supported.  Haskins demonstrated childishness all season long, but I have no faith in Rivera's ability to develop young talent.  That is why he preferred veterans. Again, we do not give up anything to take a look.  I do not get the reluctance--and I hope our scouting department operates under a different set of criteria. 

Unless I am missing something, I am afraid you did say he was a good player.

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I look at this as a good player who fell into the hellish fire pit that is aka the QB position on a Rivera-coached team. 

The problem is bring him in is not cost-free.  If we forget about the preseason roster spot for a minute (because there are a ton of them), whatever adult supervision he needs is going to take time from someone else who, perhaps, has demonstrated that playing in the NFL is bigger than them.  I understand Rhule can handle problem children, but how many?  And do we really want to knowingly sign players who will add to the list of those who need his or someone else's constant attention, especially when they have demonstrated nothing on an NFL field? 

Whatever Rhule and company's limits are, I would rather put exercise them on players who have demonstrated something on a field that indicates they have a bigger potential upside than downside.  Haskins is not that guy, IMO. 

In a lot of ways, he looks like another Johnny Manziel, and I don't want him, either.  Maybe his upside is bigger, but he can't get out of his own way long enough to prove any of it.

34 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Here is the ugly truth about Haskins. He is immature and lacks professionalism--still talented though! And that's why he was let go, but will also get another opportunity somewhere! 

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_details_behavior_that_led_to_dwayne_haskins_being_cut/s1_127_33683126

This is literally a Jamarcus Russell clone. Just simply a guy that refuses to do the work. 

100% not interested.

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This is literally a Jamarcus Russell clone. Just simply a guy that refuses to do the work. 

100% not interested.

Well, I am not averse to it, not that I really care either way. I am admittedly kind of a pushover for second chances and redemption stories. I wish him luck, hope he learns some hard lessons and gets his football career back on track, regardless of where it is!

2 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Okay. I wasn't aware of Anderson's issues.

I wouldn't be super excited about bringing Haskins in, but there's zero risk unless you sign him for any guaranteed money.

Admittedly, Anderson was younger than Haskins, in college, but as we all should know from experience, people don't mature at the same time. Yes, some never mature at all, but at least Haskins isn't blaming anyone else but himself at this point. 

As for guaranteed money, I wouldn't think he'd get anything but a pittance!

The Robbie story is a good one though. He really turned it around after almost blowing it! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/panthers/.amp/news/robby-andersons-special-bond-with-matt-rhule

Archived