• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bridgewater Experiment... your thoughts

mc52beast

3 minutes ago, Icege said:

I understand that a lot of fans are emotional rn, especially with a disappointing finish, but performance skill != teaching skill.

Where did he get this “mentor” skill? And how does it justify 42M that could have gotten the team a couple OL and maybe a CB. Or any of the many holes. Giving a player that kind of money to be a coach is the last in a string of comical denials that this contract set y’all back at least another year. 

He's not the future but it was not a crap signing.  We needed to fork over cash for a starting QB.  We didn't draft one. We've at the most got him $20 mil next year but there's an out.  If we can't get rid of him he gets Luol Deng'd.

57 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Started out showing promise.

Regressed as the season went on.

Not the answer.

Yeah this.

The tankers will bemoan how oh noooo he got us 3 more wins than we expected now we can't get TL but who cares. This team needed to gel and develop and we couldn't do that without stable play at QB. And the first half of the season Teddy gave us that. As the season went on, the team left Teddy behind and that's....not a bad outlook.

Could do a loooooot worse than Teddy, and I stand by the move as it was a solid big picture move. He was touted as a bridge QB and he's just that, flashed a bit at first but he could never overcome the big flaws.

He'll still be around in the NFL even after us, I mean Alex fuging Smith is still playing, but we need to find a new QB to groom under him and eventually replace him.

Just now, GoPanthers123 said:

Could have stuck with Allen and would end up same or better.  What a waste of money

This is true but this is the biggest hindsight post in thia thread.

Name anyone that wanted Allen back after last season, I'll wait.

26 minutes ago, Rags said:

There were plenty of people stating that it was a mistake from the moment he signed. No hindsight. When folks found out the Panthers had paid 20x more on a slightly better version of Allen, Kyle looked like a decent option. 

30 minutes ago, Rags said:

I didn’t want Bridgewater because he was ex NO Saint.  I felt we can save the money if nothing else in a rebuild year and pick the cheaper option, not because Allen looked better but due to difference in cost

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

There were plenty of people stating that it was a mistake from the moment he signed. No hindsight. When folks found out the Panthers had paid 20x more on a slightly better version of Allen, Kyle looked like a decent option. 

1 minute ago, GoPanthers123 said:

I didn’t want Bridgewater because he was ex NO Saint.  I felt we can save the money if nothing else in a rebuild year and pick the cheaper option, not because Allen looked better but due to difference in cost

I was royally poo on for saying we should cut Cam and rock with Kyle next season. There were plenty of people who thought Teddy would be decent in Brady's system and an improvement over Kyle. It's hindsight.

On top of all that paying Teddy middle of the road money to be a decent bridge QB and a decent Starter isn't as damning as you guys think.

55 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Where did he get this “mentor” skill? And how does it justify 42M that could have gotten the team a couple OL and maybe a CB. Or any of the many holes. Giving a player that kind of money to be a coach is the last in a string of comical denials that this contract set y’all back at least another year. 

https://theathletic.com/2003116/2020/08/17/panthers-practice-report-teddy-bridgewater-teaching-matt-rhule-getting-into-it/

Do you have anything to refute his ability to teach?

Mind you we have already covered that performance skill != teaching skill.

Was the dumbest thing this franchise has done since the Sean Gilbert debacle. We should have taken our lumps. Identified who the keeper guys are. Then take our franchise QB for the next decade. I just don’t understand what Tepper/Rhule thought we would do other than sabotage ourselves by winning 5-6 games this year with Teddy. 

1 hour ago, Icege said:

I understand that a lot of fans are emotional rn, especially with a disappointing finish, but performance skill != teaching skill.

You don’t pay $21M a year for a teacher who all season has made terrible decisions and missed wide open players. How do you know he’d be a good mentor? You are just guessing and continuing to waste cap $$$s seems silly. I’d rather have a QB coach and OC teach him that a guy who plays scared until he realizes his starting days are in jeopardy and then throws a bunch of picks/should have been picks.

I hope we find a trade partner even if we have to eat half his guarantee (10 of 18M next year is guaranteed). Saving 13-18M in cap space is >>>>> Teddy as a mentor.

Archived