• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Left Tackle options

AU-panther

14 minutes ago, t96 said:

This just isn’t true, @Verge has said numerous times that many scouts thought highly of him as a high ceiling player. He never reached it here partly due to injuries/coaching maybe, and it wound up being a terrible pick for sure. But it’s not like Hurney took a guy that no other team would even draft. He was a highly touted prospect due to his upside.

He looked awful in the combine drills. He had the physical size, but he was off most top 50 lists by the time the draft rolled around. He was universally disliked even in here in the pre-draft threads. Marty went from the PFF grades like he did for Grier where both of them looked like solid prospects.

We had what Verge said which was more based on us having Little as high as pick 16 if Burns wasn’t here. The Bills didn’t celebrate when we made the pick that they lost a the guy they wanted.

Maybe teams would have taken him in the early 3rd due to potential but only we were willing to risk late first round value with our traded picks.

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He looked awful in the combine drills. He had the physical size, but he was off most top 50 lists by the time the draft rolled around. He was universally disliked even in here in the pre-draft threads. Marty went from the PFF grades like he did for Grier where both of them looked like solid prospects.

We had what Verge said which was more based on us having Little as high as pick 16 if Burns wasn’t here. The Bills didn’t celebrate when we made the pick that they lost a the guy they wanted.

Maybe teams would have taken him in the early 3rd due to potential but only we were willing to risk late first round value with our traded picks.

I doubt Marty went off of PFF grade, he strikes me as the type of scout who notices one certain play on tape and that sticks with him, right or wrong.

I'm sure at some point Little pancaked someone.

Just now, AU-panther said:

I doubt Marty went off of PFF grade, he strikes me as the type of scout who notices one certain play on tape and that sticks with him, right or wrong.

I'm sure at some point Little knock over someone to get to pancakes.

FIFY.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

2022 is a loaded class?  Who are the top dogs?

May have spoke a little soon, but I really feel like a lot of these sophomores make a big jump and the potential is sky high with a lot of them. Evan Neal, Nick Broeker, Logan Brown, Zion Nelson, Charles Cross, Wanna Morris, Rasheed Walker, Darnell Wright, Andrew Kristofic, Nicholas Petit-Frere. All are very solid and have a TON of potential.

5 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

May have spoke a little soon, but I really feel like a lot of these sophomores make a big jump and the potential is sky high with a lot of them. Evan Neal, Nick Broeker, Logan Brown, Zion Nelson, Charles Cross, Wanna Morris, Rasheed Walker, Darnell Wright, Andrew Kristofic, Nicholas Petit-Frere. All are very solid and have a TON of potential.

Thanks.  I will look them up

17 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I'm sure at some point Little pancaked someone.

That off-season they specifically mentioned uses analytics. It’s not coincidence that we got one of the highest PFF graded tackles and QBs. Remember Marty said he had Grier as his highest rated QB over even Murray? Well, here you go: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-the-advanced-numbers-suggest-will-grier-may-be-the-steal-of-the-2019-nfl-draft

Little had the highest pass blocking rating of all the juniors declaring: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2019-early-declarations

BTW you are right that Marty dies stick to guys he likes and then just decides where to take them. That’s why he rarely got good players that for some reason dropped and we he’d reach like Little and Gaulden because he didn’t have the patience or the ability to be OK with not getting his guy which after the first tended to be turds.

2 hours ago, DeSim said:

After signing Taylor Moton, id try my hardest to sign Trent Williams, we’re definitely not a desirable destination so we’d have to overspend to get him, and even if we get him i’d still draft a tackle in the second or third round that can play guard as well, maybe someone like Alex Leatherwood.  First round is going to be QB. 

What makes you so certain we're not a desirable place to go.  Don't you think every free agent has friends on every team.  Don't you think they communicate?  I am certain that anyone that would call a friend and ask how our locker room is.  They would say it is good, if not incredible.  

We don't have to overspend for any free agent.  Unless your name is Marty Hurney. 

1 hour ago, Zod said:

We really skrewed the pooch with the Greg Little selection. Literally every scout knew he was terrible but Hurney went with his gut.

Little was a 4 year mistake. We kept making the mistake after year 1 by signing Okung and not taking a LT in a tackle rich class. I know we got Brown, and I'm not upset we did, except for given our line situation at the end of this year which was completely foreseeable, it left us very weak. Now this year is not particularly strong other than Sewell and we really need a QB so that puts us in year 4 before we may be able to correct this. 

If Hurney had done what we all knew he should have and taken McCoy, and Deiter or Davis would have been ok choices for guard in the 3rd. Our line would look completely different right now and we wouldn't be panicking about having to re-sign Moton because he's the only good part of our line. 

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Little was a 4 year mistake. We kept making the mistake after year 1 by signing Okung and not taking a LT in a tackle rich class. I know we got Brown, and I'm not upset we did, except for given our line situation at the end of this year which was completely foreseeable, it left us very weak. Now this year is not particularly strong other than Sewell and we really need a QB so that puts us in year 4 before we may be able to correct this. 

If Hurney had done what we all knew he should have and taken McCoy, and Deiter or Davis would have been ok choices for guard in the 3rd. Our line would look completely different right now and we wouldn't be panicking about having to re-sign Moton because he's the only good part of our line. 

Brown is good but I still would rather have beckton wirfs or wills.   

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Brown is good but I still would rather have beckton wirfs or wills.   

So would I. Getting a solid LT is so much harder than getting a DT. I had really hoped we would be able to trade down and still get a tackle and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd to fil the plethora of holes we had on our team. 

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

That off-season they specifically mentioned uses analytics. It’s not coincidence that we got one of the highest PFF graded tackles and QBs. Remember Marty said he had Grier as his highest rated QB over even Murray? Well, here you go: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-the-advanced-numbers-suggest-will-grier-may-be-the-steal-of-the-2019-nfl-draft

Little had the highest pass blocking rating of all the juniors declaring: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2019-early-declarations

BTW you are right that Marty dies stick to guys he likes and then just decides where to take them. That’s why he rarely got good players that for some reason dropped and we he’d reach like Little and Gaulden because he didn’t have the patience or the ability to be OK with not getting his guy which after the first tended to be turds.

I agree that PFF like them, I'm just saying PFF doesn't strike me as Marty's style.

Here is something that MHS831 said

I am not suggesting that Brandon revealed classified information, but he would share with my friend insights and insider information about players--I recall that RR and Hurney fell in love with Silatolu because they saw him body slam a 230 lb DE in a DIII game on a video...that turned out well. 

That's the scouting I expect out of Hurney.

Missing on a 2nd round LT doesn't really bother me that bad, fact is most of them don't work out.  I hate we traded up for them, so we basically  missed on two picks.

I'm a firm believer in not trying to fight the draft or history.

History tells us that most LTs are hard to find, really hard after the first round, much easier to find interior lineman later.  If I need a LT I'm going to use a 1st round pick, if you are constantly trying to find that late round gem you often end up not filling either position.

Archived