• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So who likes this playoff format?

TheBigKat

1 minute ago, Happy Panther said:

It also attempts to solve the issue of 11-5 teams missing the playoffs. Colts were the 7th seed at 11-5.

Yeah it helps towards that but I think that more just comes from inequity between conferences. The NFC had 2 teams that were .500 or worse and the Dolphins missed at 10-6...

Overall, I definitely like this new format. I think byes in the NFL are so huge and had been a big reason most of the SB teams have been 1 or 2 seeds. With only 1 bye that makes it much more likely that a 3-7 seed can make the SB and just makes it much more interesting, and then the team who gets the bye definitely earns it (unlike Atlanta in 2016 who really should not have had a bye...).

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

I for one am thrilled the NFL changed their highly entertaining incentive laden playoff system to add another ~.500 team to the playoffs

I know what you mean. It's so much more entertaining watching 5 teams rest their starters in week 17 and not watching those 2 extra games on wildcard weekend. Wish I could have those 3 hours back I wasted watching that snooze fest, Bills-Colts. Preach brother.

2 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

I know what you mean. It's so much more entertaining watching 5 teams rest their starters in week 17 and not watching those 2 extra games on wildcard weekend. Wish I could have those 3 hours back I wasted watching that snooze fest, Bills-Colts. Preach brother.

sounds like you need a more active lifestyle

1 minute ago, Growl said:

sounds like you need a more active lifestyle

Hey if you've got more cool things to do than watch these 2-7 matchups, you do you. You can just pretend they never happened and stick with the same 3-6 and 4-5 matchups that are completely unchanged from every other year. Just don't try to take away the enjoyment of this football weekend from me and my fat slob brethren.

Overall I like it.  I've always thought the #2 seed having a bye was strange.  Agreed that a losing record should be somehow weeded out, division winner or not.  I know we benefited from it once, but it still makes zero sense.  At any rate, the spot should go to the #8 team and that team surely would have a winning record.

Rivera has done it twice now.

Archived