• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Devin White... Micah Parsons

musicman

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sorry man, you're just not right. Most of those times when we had safeties behind the CBs were were actually playing man. We usually went with a two look when we played man though we did do some man coverage with a single high safety. Usually when Luke was covering down the seam it was because he was playing man. We did run SOME Tampa 2 looks, but it was far from our norm.

I'm sitting here right now watching coach's tape, on a lot of passing downs our safeties are dropping and taking deep halves, which is a cover 2 look and often Luke will drop and cover deep third, which is a Tampa 2 look.

Cover 3 your CBs would take deep thirds which very rarely happened, usually it was when we decided to blitz the SS we would actually show cover 2 and then rotate the SS down at the last minute.

Go find some coaches tape and watch the passing downs.

Here is another article that refer3enecs how much we play Tampa 2

A guide to beating the Carolina Panthers’ defense and the Tampa 2 - Pats Pulpit

and another

Super Bowl Handicapping: Carolina Panthers and the Cover-2 Defense (docsports.com)

Edited by AU-panther
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Zod said:

I was gonna post that the Panthers have a long and proud history at MLB but then this post made me rethink how much good it did us. 

There is nothing wrong with having good MLB's but having so much invested in a position that has lesser value in the modern NFL is just not the way to build a winning football team. That is where we always seem to struggle. The last 15 years of Panthers football and the kind of investments we make in the draft and free agency are basically the reason we have never had a back-to-back winning season. We rarely build teams made to last. We build them for the moment and then scramble to recover when changes happen.

24 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I'm sitting here right now watching coach's tape, on a lot of passing downs our safeties are dropping and taking deep halves, which is a cover 2 look and often Luke will drop and cover deep third, which is a Tampa 2 look.

Cover 3 your CBs would take deep thirds which very rarely happened, usually it was when we decided to blitz the SS we would actually show cover 2 and then rotate the SS down at the last minute.

Go find some coaches tape and watch the passing downs.

Here is another article that refer3enecs how much we play Tampa 2

A guide to beating the Carolina Panthers’ defense and the Tampa 2 - Pats Pulpit

and another

Super Bowl Handicapping: Carolina Panthers and the Cover-2 Defense (docsports.com)

I think what you're missing is that two deep safeties absolutely does not automatically equal Tampa 2. We also played a lot of quarters coverage under Ron, particularly in obvious passing situations.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I think what you're missing is that two deep safeties absolutely does not automatically equal Tampa 2.

I realize that but it doesn't change the fact that we ran a lot of Tampa 2 and I referenced 3 articles that say the same thing.

I also went back and watched film from Ron's time here.

6 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I realize that but it doesn't change the fact that we ran a lot of Tampa 2 and I referenced 3 articles that say the same thing.

I also went back and watched film from Ron's time here.

Define "a lot". We ran more cover two in Ron's later years than his early years, but I don't recall many games at all where it was our primary defense.

Parsons could probably play Edge defender in the NFL and be awesome but I'd just rather invest higher draft picks in offensive line and secondary, esp since LB help can be found at different points in the draft and this year has a lot of intriguing guys who will be available day 2 and 3. Dylan Moses is still slept-on but has all the athleticism in the world, and so is Chazz Surratt. I still like him as a player, definitely. 

But I can't blame Panthers fans for being accustomed to a certain, uh, lifestyle at LB lol

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Define "a lot". We ran more cover two in Ron's later years than his early years, but I don't recall many games at all where it was our primary defense.

I haven't' took time to watch 8 years of tape and figure out the percentages, but 3 articles talking about how we ran a lot of Tampa-2 and cover-2.    It amazes me how little people on this forum can entertain the idea that they might possible be wrong.  

You are right about us running a cover 3 look often, but tampa-2 is a cover 3 look.  Its Safety, MLB, Safety instead of CB, FS, CB.  Luke was the perfect LB for it because he could diagnose play and then had the athletic ability to get deep. 

Also if the play is a run or short pass the MLB never gets deep and then it never looks like Tampa 2, it just looks like cover-2

Look at our personnel over the years.  We invested heavily into Luke, we didn't' invest in safeties.  Look at the type of corners we had.  Everything about us screamed cover 2 and Tampa 2.

Edited by AU-panther

14 hours ago, ericr0319 said:

i think he had to go defense his first draft because the defense was just so damn bad. its not a STUD o-line class, but its viewed to be deep. especially at G. we could easily end up going all offense this draft if the chips fall. 

Rhule has implied that we were going to address the offense.  I wouldn't be shocked to see all offense but I think this year we sprinkle a couple defensive players near the end of  day 3. 

4 hours ago, TreadmillTrackstar said:

Again here you did EXACTLY what the other guy did yet you pulled up your skirt, shoved your panties to the side and took a dump all over his post. His was "opinion" based as well if you had even a tenth of a percent of reading comprehension skills you would have noticed yet somehow in your cross universe little world where "eric" is a legend in his own living room you just couldn't resist to try to play "Mr Poopy Pants Expert" but in this case I believe we can all summise that you sir are in fact a simpleton with a mouth that is operational allowing sounds to come out yet the fully functional brain inhibits such noises from becoming full rational thought. I fart once again in your general direction.

it wasn't opinion based. he said the team was taking an analytic approach to the draft and then something about value,. the word if does not make an opinion. he was stating it as if that was was what the team is doing. for example, if mom wants us to rake the leaves before we mow the lawn its going to take longer. 

but, nice job trying to "call me out for trying to be cool" when that was the exact purpose for your post.