• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathan Jones thinks Deshaun to Carolina could happen.

Zod

4 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Of the 4 teams mentioned I think we have the worst odds but then again that's what they said when Carolina was up for a team in 1993. 

We beat the odds once, why not again.

Odds for the hornets to land the #3 pick and Lamelo ball was almost non-existent, yet here we are.  With as much as I'm sure Tep will want it, you can bet the sink will be thrown at this deal.

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Maybe we should play him as a slot WR/RB hybrid--and do not re-sign Samuel.  CMC has great hands, runs good routes, and his career could be prolonged.

Draft a RB later.

I can say that we do not want to discount the possibilities of what a new GM and capologist can do.  It could happen.  That way, we would have both players off the Next Gen Stats commercials.

Or you draft a "normal" RB later to handle most of the rushing duties and resign Samuel to handle the hybrid stuff if you were to include CMC in a trade for Watson.

CMC is a difficult evaluation.  Normally I'm not a fan of paying RBs big money, their production is often easily replaced by someone cheaper.  The argument for CMC is his production in the passing game, but even that you have to look at closely.  Is his production high because of usage or ability.

There are a lot of running backs in the league that could have high receiving stats with high usage.  Davis has had some games when he had 60-70 yards receiving.  Force feeding a RB a lot of screens or check downs doesn't really mean the RB is great in the passing game, It just means they are high usage, most RBs in the league can catch screens or check downs.

Where you make the argument for justifying CMCs contract is his ability (if you feel he has the ability) to run more of the route tree, basically the ability to run WR type of routes.  Not every RB has that ability.

IMO the only way you really justify his contract is to use him as a mismatch in the passing game.  The typical rushing and check down type of receiving you could replace pretty cheaply in the draft or free agency.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Carolina Cajun said:

If it costs us trading CMC to get watson, YOU DO IT.  As we have seen, even having a generational RB will at most get you a couple playoff appearances (See Minnesota and Tennessee).  You HAVE to have an elite level QB if you want to win a superbowl.

Yeah, the remaining four teams largely have RB by committee approaches. The highest paid RB still left is Leonard Fournette who is the 31st highest paid RB for 2020. The highest producing remaining running back is #4 Aaron Jones, the only remaining top 10 rusher. However the QB group is Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. These are four of the top 10 passers in the league for 2020 and two of the top 10 paid QB's in 2020.

• Pie 1

A whole lot of speculation and assumption in this thread. 

How about we wait and see what happens, because anything can. Deshaun Watson has a modicum of control in this situation, and for those treating CMC's contract like it's just the most terrible thing, I'm just shaking my head because I believe you've lost perspective. Furthermore, the Panthers don't even have to be in consideration, much less CMC.

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, the remaining four teams largely have RB by committee approaches. The highest paid RB still left is Leonard Fournette who is the 31st highest paid RB for 2020. The highest producing remaining running back is #4 Aaron Jones, the only remaining top 10 rusher. However the QB group is Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. These are four of the top 10 passers in the league for 2020 and two of the top 10 paid QB's in 2020.

What people don't' realize is that there isn't a huge difference in the top 20 RBs or so.  Most of the difference with yardage totals is a product of usage, not ability.  CMC averaged 4.8 yards a carry last year, Antonio Gibson (rookie for Washington) averaged 4.7.  CMC got more carries so his yardage totals look like more.

A good WR will get more usage because he will get open more.  A RB doesn't have to get open for a handoff, their usage is a product of the play calling. 

People like to argue if RBs are important, it not that they aren't important, its that it is easier to replace their production than some other positions.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I want Watson. A lot. Most of the trade scenarios mentioned in the various threads here, I'd be happy with, although Burns gives me pause.

However, I don't think it happens, mostly because I'm not sure why Watson would waive his no-trade for us. As far as I can see, the best thing we'd have going for us is the Clemson connection. I don't think that's enough.

I don't think Watson wants to go to a team that might be able to go to the playoffs next year. I would think Watson wants to go to a team that could go to the Super Bowl, next year with him on it. I don't think we're there yet. Unfortunately. (To play devil's advocate though, I didn't think he were there at the beginning of the 2015 season either).

Personally, I think the 49ers make the most sense for him and for the Texans combined. Although the 49ers are in a good division with a lot of competition, so that may give him a little bit of pause. (Actually, that helps us too. If Brees retires and Brady leaves/retires all of the sudden our division is wide open).

I don't know (clearly). It'll probably be a team that is being completely overlooked with the way things happen in the NFL. 

Or the Patriots. Always the Patriots.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't really seen that as very likely considering they are already struggling with cap issues WITHOUT the impeding hit that a trade would cause. 

This little nugget right here isn't getting enough attention, and it applies to both parties involved assuming that the trade involves players on both sides, which it likely will.  Pretty sure that if you trade a player, you have to eat the remainder of the signing bonus immediately.  That's 20 million for DeShaun, and Houston is already 19 million over the cap.  The easiest thing for them right now is to cut JJ Watt.  Brandin Cooks also looks precarious.

Now, can you imagine being the owner in Houston telling your fanbase, yea, we're getting rid of JJ Watt and DeShaun Watson?  Brutal.

• Pie 1