• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fitterer talks about the quarterback position

Mr. Scot

...and says pretty much nothing of any substance.

Former QB knows finding an answer at the position is key

If you're looking for anything revealing or earth-shattering here, don't hold your breath. It's a good read, but it also makes clear that Scott Fitterer has had some practice at using a lot of words to basically say nothing.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

This part's interesting though...

Wilson was that guy in Seattle, and having him on a cheap rookie deal helped the Seahawks build a team around a young quarterback that reached the Super Bowl his second season.

That shaped Fitterer's thinking about the position as it pertains to roster construction, but again, he's too early in his new job to allow it to be dogma.

"The problem is finding a good young rookie and having the chance to put him on the field and compete," Fitterer said. "There really are benefits of that, but we're not stuck on the rookie quarterback. We're going to look at every position and every avenue for acquisition."

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There was an interesting comment later on. He specifically named Dante Jackson as one of the promising young building blocks.

Too be fair, last quarter of the year Jackson showed up. 

With a offseason to heal and a contract year coming up iirc, he'll probably surprise quite a few doubters. (Me being one until I went back and rewatched a few games)

On team building, I like the sound of this...

I think the way I want to build the team is one, obviously quarterback, and two, both sides of the line. Really, settling the offensive line, maybe getting another corner, just creating competition at those spots is kind of the view right now."

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There was an interesting comment later on. He specifically named Dante Jackson as one of the promising young building blocks. He's also being pretty transparent about what we're going to do. Sounds like we're going to try to find a QB, another starting CB, and build an OL.

Sounds good to me.

Likely Griffen from Seattle, a free agent had a decent year and Seahawks likely won't be able to pay him.

9 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Too be fair, last quarter of the year Jackson showed up. 

With a offseason to heal and a contract year coming up iirc, he'll probably surprise quite a few doubters. (Me being one until I went back and rewatched a few games)

I'm just giving Jackson a pass on last year. Turf toe is a bitch. I've accepted that mine is never going to actually heal. I've been dealing with it for 4 years.

14 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think the way I want to build the team is one, obviously quarterback, and two, both sides of the line. Really, settling the offensive line, maybe getting another corner, just creating competition at those spots is kind of the view right now."

We may finally solidify the O-line. Hard to believe, so I'll wait until I see it. 

• Pie 1

Every coach and GM likes to talk about fixing the O-line, its what fans want to hear.  What sounds better to the average fan?  "I value the O-line" or "I value safeties'?

I'll believe it when I see it.

The fact we did trade a guard for a LT last year does give me some hope about the coaching staff though.

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Focusing on the offensive line? Now that's a position group I haven't heard management speak about seriously in a long time.