• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Deshaun Watson wants out of Houston, no matter who the coach is

WarPanthers89

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson was reportedly unhappy this offseason when he suggested that Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy should interview for the team’s head-coaching vacancy and the Texans left him off their list. But just because the Texans later reversed course and did interview Bieniemy, that doesn’t mean Watson can be placated.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Watson wants out of Houston and that won’t change, regardless of who the Texans hire to be their next head coach.

That could make it a tough sell for the Texans to get any top candidate to take the job. If Watson isn’t going to be there, the Texans job is one of the least attractive NFL job openings in years. The Texans are a bad team without much in the way of draft capital or salary cap space to get better. The only thing that would make the job attractive to a coach is that Watson, one of the NFL’s best quarterbacks, is there.

If the Texans offer Bieniemy the job, he might decide he’s better off remaining in Kansas City, where Patrick Mahomes is running his offense, than going to Houston, where he doesn’t know who his quarterback would be.

It’s been an ugly offseason in Houston, and the situation does not appear to be improving.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/24/report-deshaun-watson-wants-out-of-houston-no-matter-who-the-coach-is/

3C59020E-4B7D-49CC-8D25-13E167028070.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89

Just now, top dawg said:

If I were Watson, I'd hold the Texans' feet to the fire and force am exit. If I were Bienemy, I'd wait until a better opportunity arises. The Texans are the epitome of a dumpster fire franchise! 

Agreed. It looks like he’s going somewhere and he’s going to have a huge market for his services. No way I would want to coach the Texans after this screw job. They have killed all talent in a 2 year period 

If I'm the Texans and I can't fix it, I'm going full reboot.  Hire a cheap, young coach that will take a shorter contract.  Trade Watt.  Try to trade Watson for picks over players.  Get a young QB in the draft.

Honestly trading for someone like CMC would be stupid.  They need to be looking 3-4 years out.  Cap space and draft picks are what they need.

Use some of your limited cap space and picks on O-line to help rookie QB develop.  They actually have some decent receivers.

Everything screams they should be trying to convince Watson to take a deal to Dolphins or Jets.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If I were Watson, I'd hold the Texans' feet to the fire and force an exit. If I were Bienemy, I'd wait until a better opportunity arises. The Texans are the epitome of a dumpster fire franchise! 

You either want an NFL Head Coach job or you don't.

There's only 32 of them. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

If I'm the Texans and I can't fix it, I'm going full reboot.  Hire a cheap, young coach that will take a shorter contract.  Trade Watt.  Try to trade Watson for picks over players.  Get a young QB in the draft.

Honestly trading for someone like CMC would be stupid.  They need to be looking 3-4 years out.  Cap space and draft picks are what they need.

Use some of your limited cap space and picks on O-line to help rookie QB develop.  They actually have some decent receivers.

Everything screams they should be trying to convince Watson to take a deal to Dolphins or Jets.

Yep. They sucked even with those guys. Rebuilding around Watson was the plan. If that's out the window you gotta blow it up and start over.

Dunno. If Texans reboot and get insane capital for Watson and Watts...looks like a pretty good situation for Bien...he’s been waiting so long for this shot, I see him taking that and helping rebuild.

Still have to deal with that FO, maybe they learned a lesson in all of this, maybe not.

I don't think he can nuke his way out, if he makes Houston look desperate,  nobody is going to offer them much, and this is one of those scenarios where youd rather get nothing, at least for a little while, then face the embarrassment of a fire sale 

Edited by Growl

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. They sucked even with those guys. Rebuilding around Watson was the plan. If that's out the window you gotta blow it up and start over.

Normally I take the QB over about anything, but with their cap space so bad and missing draft picks because of bad trades in the past, trading Watson might actually be the best chance to get better.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to build a great team around him.  If they can get lucky and find a QB in the draft (big if), this might actually work out better for them. 

Honestly they might be thinking the same, even though they would never admit that.  I find it interesting that so many articles are coming out, almost feels like they are trying to drum up business.

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

I don't think he can't nuke his way out, if he makes Houston look desperate,  nobody is going to offer them much, and this is one of those scenarios where youd rather get nothing, at least for a little while, then face the embarrassment of a fire sale 

I agree.  This idea that they are going to look worse if they don't trade him is stupid, they all ready look really bad.  Letting Watson and some other team fleece them would only add to that.

Watson has enough leverage to force himself out, but he doesn't have enough leverage to force them to only accept an offer from one team.  Once you have multiple teams the price goes up.

10 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If Bienemy passes up this job, I guarantee you that he'll get an opportunity at another HC gig! 

Yes, eventually that better opportunity will come. If he takes the Houston job, and stumbles due to a bad situation, and gets canned in 3 years, then he will struggle to get another opportunity.