• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jamie Newman Turning Heads

slumdogmillionaire

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we don't trade for a legit QB and the right QB isn't there at #8, then let's draft a LT and take Newman in the 2nd. I'm so numb to watching the Panthers throw away 2nd rounders at this point that it wouldn't even hurt if he's a bust then we can go get Sam Howell next year.

Stop making me happy while I'm at work.

• Beer 1

Deacon fan here (obviously by the avatar) and of course, I loved Newman. Great arm, good touch on the deep ball, good decision making when it comes to run vs. pass in Wake's very unique RPO style offense.

My only knock on Jamie most of the time was trying to do too much. Many would argue that's because he didn't have a lot of weapons around him but I don't agree with that. Much like Newman, Sage Surratt is going to be a 2nd/3rd round pick more than likely and that was his #1 target.

I think Newman has the tools to be a good NFL QB if he can reign in some of his questionable throws. In terms of physical size and measurables, they are all there.

• Beer 2

28 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

Yes, which proves you're an idiot. Nothing like adding an enormous salary cap hit to your bottom line, and then bringing in another veteran which will give you another big contract, on top of bringing in a rookie who will replace him.

All done for spite, which leaves us without our best offensive linemen, who just so happens to be a tackle, and ensures we also lose an explosive WR.

Are you sure you weren't a previous General Manager for the Lions? Cause you super dumb!

Yep, I said he'd be serviceable and he'd be a great teacher for a young rookie QB we'd bring into replace him. Missed on the first part, but if we bring it a rookie, I won't be about the 2nd.

Bridgewater could definitely be cut, u can call whoever an idiot. But thinking he will be here next year is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, DeaconPanther said:

Deacon fan here (obviously by the avatar) and of course, I loved Newman. Great arm, good touch on the deep ball, good decision making when it comes to run vs. pass in Wake's very unique RPO style offense.

My only knock on Jamie most of the time was trying to do too much. Many would argue that's because he didn't have a lot of weapons around him but I don't agree with that. Much like Newman, Sage Surratt is going to be a 2nd/3rd round pick more than likely and that was his #1 target.

I think Newman has the tools to be a good NFL QB if he can reign in some of his questionable throws. In terms of physical size and measurables, they are all there.

Beyond Surratt though, what did he have to work with? They also had the 95th ranked defense. He had to feel the pressure to put up basketball scores to have any shot.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Ditto on a qb working with our staff in developing them but I think Allen is the exception not the rule.  I just think JN is the ultimate project with a ton of flaws in his game.  Big arm sure, but his accuracy and decision making need a lot of fine tuning.  His game against Clemson last year really put things in perspective for me about him.

I don't know how well Newman will do, but I disagree with using the Clemson game as a benchmark.  Reality is that Wake doesn't match Clemson in talent, not even close.  So it would be nearly impossible for even a great qb to look good.  In 2015, Patrick Mahomes looked horrible in a game against Oklahoma, primarily because Oklahoma had more talent across the board than did Texas tech.  Better to judge Newman in the games were talent level was more even.   In truth, the talent disparity across college teams is one of the reasons its so hard to judge how well a qb will do in the NFL when the talent levels are closer to even.  

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Beyond Surratt though, what did he have to work with? They also had the 95th ranked defense. He had to feel the pressure to put up basketball scores to have any shot.

He actually had some decent receivers.  Both Scotty Washington and Kendall Hinton (he of Denver emergency qb fame) were good enough to get a look in the NFL which makes them better than the vast majority of college receivers.  But once Surratt and Washington went down with injury, Newman struggled more.  

I'd be down. If we miss out on the top qbs, I'd love to trade down, draft Newman in the second, Oline, and secondary. Wouldn't be ideal but when life gives you lemons.

Plus, if next year we bomb totally and pick at the top of the draft for whatever reason you can justify taking another QB who you might view as better and trading Newman. Just that valuable a position. 

Edited by ImaginaryKev

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

He actually had some decent receivers.  Both Scotty Washington and Kendall Hinton (he of Denver emergency qb fame) were good enough to get a look in the NFL which makes them better than the vast majority of college receivers.  But once Surratt and Washington went down with injury, Newman struggled more.  

Spot on here. Weapons aren't what I would call Clemson good, but better than average, and certainly better than anything else Wake has had in the past. No doubt, as @LinvilleGorge mentioned, our defense was not great and Newman had to put up the points for us to win, but still a decent amount of talent. 

I would love nothing more than the Panthers to have Newman and it truly wouldn't shock me either way if he was a breakout star in the NFL or if he is out of the league in 5 years. It will depend on who drafts him and the weapons around him. If he has to push too hard, like he did when injuries got Wake's best WRs, he will probably struggle once again.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, slumdogmillionaire said:

I still don’t understand why Newman opted out....he could have played himself into a first round pick this year.

I was listening to WFNZ and Bailey and his cohost were talking about scouts are saying he’s looking really good and would be interesting pick later in the draft and reminded people of Dak in Senior Bowl practices.   He has all the tools with mobility, smarts, personality, and an arm.   

If we don’t trade for Watson or Stafford and the draft doesn’t fall right for a QB in the first round I wouldn’t mind taking a chance on him and see what our coaches can do with him....grab a stud at 8 and then Newman later rather than Mac Jones at 8.  How fall will he fall?  Can we get him in the 3rd or 4th?   

C79E269B-0549-4232-89FA-3902FE586B00.jpeg

As far as him opting out, I think I read somewhere it had to do with a family situation. Sick grandmother, maybe.

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Ditto on a qb working with our staff in developing them but I think Allen is the exception not the rule.  I just think JN is the ultimate project with a ton of flaws in his game.  Big arm sure, but his accuracy and decision making need a lot of fine tuning.  His game against Clemson last year really put things in perspective for me about him.

...You are born with accuracy...any question with that and i do not want...