• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers to be 'aggressive' in pursuit of potential Deshaun Watson trade

Proudiddy

I'd love to have Watson, but trying to look at it without blue tinted glasses on, I just don't see it happening. I think Watson wants to go to a place that he thinks he can win right away, and I'm not sure that's what we currently look like. And losing those draft picks necessary scares me.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Y'all realize that his no trade clause gives him the right not decline being traded to a team he does not want to go? Meaning if he doesn't want to go to the JETS, he does not GO there. Watson has leverage here guys. If he wants to play for you he will accept the trade. 

Weren’t there reports of him being interested in going to NY or was that just speculation? Thought I saw something about him mentioning them in a comment not long ago. 

12 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Y'all realize that his no trade clause gives him the right not decline being traded to a team he does not want to go? Meaning if he doesn't want to go to the JETS, he does not GO there. Watson has leverage here guys. If he wants to play for you he will accept the trade. 

Well. Two things over and above team makeup

upside  

Tepper is a very progressive and vocal supporter of social issues   That is a 360 to Houston   Tepper is probably the most socially aware owner in the league 

flip side 

Newton was deshaun’s mentor. They are friends.  We all know the Tepper handling of Newton was not exactly graceful 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

We all know the Tepper handling of Newton was not exactly graceful 

Tepper was the guy who ordered the GM and head coach to get Cam off the field because he was hurt and couldn't throw the ball. If anything, Cam might actually owe him some thanks for not allowing him to get permanently injured.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

Still comes down to what Watson wants. If he doesn't want those teams the trade won't happen.

However any deal would involve multiple 1st round picks so the Texans can alway use those to trade with NYJ or the Dolphins to get the QB they want in the draft.

Said it elsewhere: I think anyone hoping that he's gonna try to force his way to Carolina is gonna be disappointed.

There's just nothing to suggest that.

16 minutes ago, Troys99x4 said:

Go for it.... but for the love of everything great in this world.... please don't trade away DJ or Burns.

I don’t understand why so many people are saying this.  Deshaun Watson is a Top-3 quarterback not even in his prime.  DJ Moore is easily replaceable in the draft (even mid—round)...and is about to demand elite WR money.  Burns is our most valuable asset, but to get an elite quarterback he is more than expendable.  

Hell, I’d trade both of them and next year’s first if they’d agree to take Teddy’s contract back.  But I don’t think they’d do it without this year’s #8.

For this particular player in this particular instance, I’m fine with selling the farm and trusting that our coaches can hit in the later rounds and free agency.

• Pie 3

One other thing people aren’t talking about...the NFL is clearly starting to mimic the NBA.  Superstars can go where they want now.  And superstars attract other superstars.  You trade for Deshaun, renegotiate that contract, and then next thing you know his friends (Hopkins, Watt, etc) want to play with him again.  

This is the new NFL.  If a Lebron/Harden/Durant shows you love...you go ALL-IN and figure the details out later.