• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The idea of trades "crippling" the future (kinda long but let's talk ALL the QBs peeps)

davos

1 hour ago, Peon Awesome said:

The problem is that trading 1st rounders doesn't cripple your immediate future if you're ready to compete. It's 3 or 4 years afterwards you have to worry about. Philadelphia is seeing the after effects of losing that 1st round capital. They didn't have the cheap talented players from the 1st round to maintain their super bowl caliber team after their veterans either aged out or became too expensive to keep. New Orleans is about to enter complete cap hell plus their 2 1sts are like late 20s. Chicago didn't trade multiple 1st; they gave like a 4th round pick to move up 1 spot. Imagine if they didn't trade anything and took Watson or Mahomes at their spot. Kansas City is obviously the model, but they again traded 2 picks in the late 20's and already had a playoff team. 

As far as the Rams, do you really want to use them as an example? They just used multiple 1st round picks to get rid of the qb they used multiple 1st round picks on. Imagine if they were smarter, they could have won multiple super bowls in that time.

You can also point to a team like the Redskins, who've spent years recovering from the Robert Griffin fiasco. Or even look at the Panthers and how much trading 2 1sts for Sean Gilbert set us back.

Valid points but I guess where I'm coming from is that if you have a balanced focus to it all, re-signings/FA, draft/trades/everything, you understand when a trade is appropriate and it's worth it.  And then in the years where let's say a team may just have 2nd-7th rounders (or less), they're able to make the right signings both for the short and long term in the FA.  So with that in mind, our cap completely opens up after the 2021 season, with hopefully just Moton & CMC having large contracts of the guys we currently have.  We'll throw the 5th yr on DJ so don't have to worry about re-signing him for a bit.  So Fit & Rhule will have cart blanche to do what they want.

The other side of the coin --I was factoring that in with having the right coach in place can do wonders, even if you aren't hitting on all the draft picks and/or give some up for the guy you want.  I was looking to the Rams because sure, these aren't necessarily great moves by any stretch of the imagination, but McVay has gotten them back in rhythm and back to the playoffs when things really should've fallen apart.

Helps having the best defensive player since LT. Plus a genius HC that caused big changes though out the league. 

Many ways to build/improve a team. For the mid-market Panthers, the draft is one of the better models to follow.

I mean if you suck at drafting, it is better to get proven players. If you suck at drafting, NFL is not your game also. 

On 1/31/2021 at 2:09 PM, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

The Rams will suffer long term for trading seven strait first round picks that's a guarantee eeesh it's a full draft of first rounders, their current cap is already reflecting a buy now forget tomorrow mindset...

Yup. We just aren’t at that period yet. 5 years from now and that team is dog poo

3 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

Yup. We just aren’t at that period yet. 5 years from now and that team is dog poo

Patriots haven't had a pick higher than 10th since Richard Seymour was drafted #6 in 2001....

...only modern era picks higher than that were McGinest at #4 in 1994 and Bledsoe at #1 in 1993 -- and they blew him out for the #199 pick in the 6th round!

I am certain the Appaloosa Model has captured all of this, prepare yourselves to be freaked out about how the Panthers treat draft picks going forward...

On 2/1/2021 at 3:20 AM, Scott12345 said:

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/texans-beat-writer-reveals-asking-price-deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-01exckh7tqga

Houston beat writer

John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) Tweeted:
The Rams-Lions trade will have nothing to do with a Watson trade if the Texans do it. They'll want 2 ones, 2 twos and 2 young defensive starters, at the least. Watson, 25, under contract, great QB, team leader, beloved by fans, pillar of the community. Start with the Jets.

YGM and Jackson along with 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks. I would try to give them 2022, 2023 second round picks so we have some draft capital in 2021. 

No way to we include Burns or Brown.  That's like giving them 3 first rounders.   

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

YGM and Jackson along with 2 1st and 2 2nd round picks. I would try to give them 2022, 2023 second round picks so we have some draft capital in 2021. 

No way to we include Burns or Brown.  That's like giving them 3 first rounders.   

there is no way id give up all those draft picks plus two players...no way