• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The new sheriff(s) in town

Mr. Scot

39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think Jones is garbage, I just think he has some serious physical talent deficiencies. In terms of physical tools, I don't think he's a bit more talented than Teddy.

This is exactly how I see it.  People who are high on Jones haven't watched the tape enough.  Show me Mac Jones consistently fitting balls into tight windows with placement, timing and velocity.  Show me Mac Jones bringing his team back.  Show me Mac Jones lifting his team despite the quality of the players around him not being up to the standard.  Go ahead.  I'll wait.

Yes, Mac's numbers looked fantastic.  But they are front runner numbers.  His line kept him clean, his receivers were wide open.  He had all the time in the world to get thru his progressions.  That ain't the NFL.

• Pie 2

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The ability to rotate the hips and drive the ball with your lower body drastically impacts your "arm".

He can't drive the ball? I would disagree. He's not necessarily the running threat he used to be, but I put a lot of that on the competition at this level.  His stock value should have plummeted if teams/scouts thought he couldn't drive the ball after the injury, but it didn't.  He didn't show any ill affects of that during his Pro Day.  He's not the hapless gimp you are trying to make him out to be.

Edited by 45catfan

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

He can't drive the ball? I would disagree. He's not necessarily the running threat he used to be, but I put a lot of that on the competition at this level.  His stock value should have plummeted if teams/scouts thought he couldn't drive the ball after the injury, but it didn't.  He didn't show any ill affects of that during his Pro Day.  He's not the hapless gimp you are trying to make him out to be.

I didn't say he was a gimp. I said he was a shadow of his former self physically. Cam was too but he's still a far better running threat than most NFL QBs, just nothing like he used to be.

58 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We now know that the Panthers aggressively went after Matt Stafford, and just about landed him. By all accounts, if not for the Rams upping their offer, Stafford might be on his way to being a Panther right now.

That tells me that when Scott Fitterer talked about this team being aggressive as far as talent acquisition in the future, he wasn't kidding.

Quick Note: That doesn't mean we're getting Desean Watson and that's not what this is about.

What it is about is that offseasons are probably gonna look a lot different than they used to. How people feel about that is likely to depend a lot on whether the players they're aggressively pursuing are players you like or not. Responses to the news about Stafford have already shown that.

So I'm kind of wondering what people's way too early feelings are about where we're headed at this point, specifically how they feel about the directions Fitterer and Rhule are likely to take us in.

He’s bringing the Seahawks mentality here. 

He’s going to be aggressive.

He’ll win some trades (beast mode), he’ll lose some trades (Jimmy Graham). 

We are no longer a conservative franchise. 

Buckle up.

• Pie 5

2 minutes ago, Tbe said:

He’s bringing the Seahawks mentality here. 

He’s going to be aggressive.

He’ll win some trades (beast mode), he’ll lose some trades (Jimmy Graham). 

We are no longer a conservative franchise. 

Buckle up.

Agreed.

He might also be bringing the "let's trade down a lot" mentality here. Kinda wonder how people are gonna feel about that.

Either way, sounds like it sure ain't gonna be boring.

38 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm talking about just what I've seen from him physically. He's not the same athlete he was before. He's said so himself. 

I agree with this.  I think Tua may get back to where he was but that is still to be seen.  I'm sure he benefited at Bama but it's clear injuries took their toll too, at least for now.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Also related to this discussion...

If Wilson and Lance are gone by #8, I'm down.  I'm not sold on Fields at all.  The Panthers better have a solid plan for our QB position beyond 2021 though.  I can squeamishly endure one more year of Bridgewater, but nothing beyond that.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

He is actually less talented than Teddy, IMO. 

From my perspective, the problem with Teddy Checkdown wasn’t his arm but his head.  I don’t think I’ve seen anyone make the argument that he couldn’t throw down field, just that he always went ‘safe’.  If true, than any draft candidate that has any ‘adequate’ arm but with leaderships traits and coachable may be serviceable to get us many years of playoffs, a la Jake.

Just my opinion.  YMMV.

15 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I agree with this.  I think Tua may get back to where he was but that is still to be seen.  I'm sure he benefited at Bama but it's clear injuries took their toll too, at least for now.

He talked at length in December about what he was going through. He said the doctors said he'd get back to 100% but that his hip would never internally rotate like it used to and to the degree that it used to. Now, I might be crazy but that doesn't sound like 100% to me. He also talked about the mental strain that puts on you knowing that you can't physically do the things you used to be able to do. It sounds like the mental part might be the sticking point. He'll either find a way to adapt to his new normal or he won't.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think Jones is garbage, I just think he has some serious physical talent deficiencies. In terms of physical tools, I don't think he's a bit more talented than Teddy.

Here's the thing, let's say he's got the same physical talent as Bridgewater, but he's not as afraid as Teddy is to push the ball down the field.

That instantly makes him a better QB and probably results in a couple more wins last season.