• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Watched film of all the top QBs: Zach Wilson screams Mitch Trubisky but Trey Lance has some Mahomes vibes

hepcat

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

If we had to choose between the two prospects I would agree. I do agree with what others are saying as far as being a bit jittery in the pocket at times. Mahomes was like that in college as well. Bailed the pocket unnecessarily.

anyone saying Wilson is Mitch or clausen(?!? Lol) I just don’t know what they’re watching.

Yeah.  I am really digging Wilson now but will be happy staying at 8 and getting lance.  I still think there is an outside chance we have a choice of 2/3 of the top 4.  Lots of moving parts.

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

If we had to choose between the two prospects I would agree. I do agree with what others are saying as far as being a bit jittery in the pocket at times. Mahomes was like that in college as well. Bailed the pocket unnecessarily.

anyone saying Wilson is Mitch or clausen(?!? Lol) I just don’t know what they’re watching.

Clausen is a pure dumb take. Mitch isn't necessarily a terrible take, but it's on the wrong end of that gunslinger spectrum. Trubisky is on the Favre/Winston end of the spectrum. The level of stupid decisions is just off the charts. He is pure boom or bust. 

Wilson seems more like the Mayfield/Stafford/Mahomes end of the gunslinger charts. Still prone to some stupid throws but much more measured. More of the good aspects of the gunslingers and less of the bad aspects.

• Pie 2

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Yeah.  I am really digging Wilson now but will be happy staying at 8 and getting lance.  I still think there is an outside chance we have a choice of 2/3 of the top 4.  Lots of moving parts.

I think the reality is that we can work with Lawrence, Fields, Lance or Wilson. As long as none of them have dipshit qualities that make them tough to coach, I think our staff can work with any of these guys and help them improve. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Clausen is a pure dumb take. Mitch isn't necessarily a terrible take, but it's on the wrong end of that gunslinger spectrum. Trubisky is on the Favre/Winston end of the spectrum. The level of stupid decisions is just off the charts. He is pure boom or bust. 

Wilson seems more like the Mayfield/Stafford/Mahomes end of the gunslinger charts. Still prone to some stupid throws but much more measured. More of the good aspects of the gunslingers and less of the bad aspects.

I think the clausen takes comes down to strictly Wilson’s appearance looking similar to jimmy’s lol. I have no idea what parts of their games match. I’d be thrilled with Wilson or Lance.

I think Lance is our best bet to be able to draft right now though. He needs to sit and get reps and learn. As others have mentioned he is a bunch of reps behind the other prospects. But what I have seen and some breakdowns the dude can make all the throws. And can make throws on the run. He does have a tendency to to throw low in the short and intermediate routes which I think will be an issue with him throughout his career. Maybe the coaching staff can fix that. But he has what you want at the next level in terms of leadership, competitiveness and nfl level physical traits.

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

This comment screams sh-tposting.

I’m just not sold on Wilson and he does remind me a lot of Manziel right now. If we want to go for broke pulling a trade I say we go all in after Lawrence. Or wait until next year to try and nab that UNC QB. 

In reality I’d rather us trade back and accumulate picks. Rhule strikes me as the type of coach that does well with young players but as they mature if he does not  adapt he’ll end up butting heads with them. 

Edited by Harbingers

I disagree with the OP. Most NFL scouts and teams will conclude Wilson is the better prospect.

I don't think we could go wrong with either QB. I would just be happy to see us draft a QB and reap the benefits of their rookie contract for up to 5 years rather than paying big time for Watson.

I do think Lance is more much of a risk. It really sucks he didn't get to play this year. Also, he played at a division 2 college and faced terrible competition. Even the talent he would've faced at an SEC school or high level college football program would be a significant jump. Imagine the step up in talent at the NFL level? This really concerns me coupled with him taking the year off. I'd much rather have Wilson. 

1 hour ago, Zod said:

I will feel sorry for Lance if he is drafted. This fan base will expect Cam-like play right off the bat. They don't have much in common. 

Lance is a Cam-light clone. The same issues that plagued Cam exist in Lance. Personally, I would like for the Panthers to consider him if he had played against top level competition and still played a similar style to Cam. I just do not want to see the accuracy issues, run first mentality, while sacrificing his body like the Panthers had when Cam was here.

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

A fair amount of "scouting" by fans is actually just people trying to convince themselves that the Panthers will take their favorite player. Sometimes it involves rationalizing bad takes in order to do that.

• Beer 2

35 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I’m just not sold on Wilson and he does remind me a lot of Manziel right now. If we want to go for broke pulling a trade I say we go all in after Lawrence. Or wait until next year to try and nab that UNC QB. 

In reality I’d rather us trade back and accumulate picks. Rhule strikes me as the type of coach that does well with young players but as they mature if he does not  adapt he’ll end up butting heads with them. 

Manziel did not watch film, read his playbook, or read a defense. He was a pure backyard football style player. He had talent but did nothing to develop his skills. 
Wilson has been watching film since he was in the ninth or tenth grade. He supposedly is studious and by watching his play, he does read the defense well.
I just do not get the Manziel comparison at all, or Clausen for that matter. Help me understand what you are talking about.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Monrowed said:

Manziel did not watch film, read his playbook, or read a defense. He was a pure backyard football style player. He had talent but did nothing to develop his skills. 
Wilson has been watching film since he was in the ninth or tenth grade. He supposedly is studious and by watching his play, he does read the defense well.
I just do not get the Manziel comparison at all, or Clausen for that matter. Help me understand what you are talking about.

3 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

These comparisons are based on physical appearance. It's quite obvious.

And play style. Plus he's getting this said about him. Its interesting that most scouts asked are valuing him as a second rounder that will probably be over valued as a first round pick in the real world while the media is hyping him as the second or third pick, with Schefter swearing he'll go two overall to the jets.

"In speaking to a director of college scouting from a NFC team that is in the market for a new quarterback, he outlined the makeup concerns with Wilson:

• "Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him.""

19 minutes ago, Monrowed said:

Lance is a Cam-light clone. The same issues that plagued Cam exist in Lance. Personally, I would like for the Panthers to consider him if he had played against top level competition and still played a similar style to Cam. I just do not want to see the accuracy issues, run first mentality, while sacrificing his body like the Panthers had when Cam was here.

Why do people always throw shade at Cam having accuracy issues? And I don't mean this to say he doesn't miss on occasion but he was a 65.4% completion percentage guy in college. Outside of the two games in 2019, in 2018(14 games played) and 2020(15 games played) he was above a 65% completion percentage in the NFL.

ALL of these top 4 QB's have tape missing reads or missing throws. That is why there aren't 100% completion percentage throwers in the NFL. 

That said, Lance is obviously the most raw of all these players. He isn't going to likely come in and start day one. It will take him some time to adjust. But he isn't going to be a useless knucklehead like Haskins or Manziel either. I don't have concerns about him being a bust because I believe he will do the work it takes to get better.

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Why do people always throw shade at Cam having accuracy issues? And I don't mean this to say he doesn't miss on occasion but he was a 65.4% completion percentage guy in college. Outside of the two games in 2019, in 2018(14 games played) and 2020(15 games played) he was above a 65% completion percentage in the NFL.

ALL of these top 4 QB's have tape missing reads or missing throws. That is why there aren't 100% completion percentage throwers in the NFL. 

That said, Lance is obviously the most raw of all these players. He isn't going to likely come in and start day one. It will take him some time to adjust. But he isn't going to be a useless knucklehead like Haskins or Manziel either. I don't have concerns about him being a bust because I believe he will do the work it takes to get better.

I think when you already know it will take a time, and he didn't pass much, or play good competition it's a good indicator that he's not going to get drafted at the top of the first round. It's complete wishful thinking.