• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

La Canfora on Tepper's desire for Watson/franchise QB

top dawg

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Firings? Of the guys they just hired?

The hiring decisions/non-decisions evidently were the straws that broke the camel's back for Watson in Houston.  That's on ownership, not the guys they hired.

There is one guy they desperately need to fire, and doing so would probably help their situation quite a bit.

This fact seems to be obvious to pretty much everybody but the Texans. Hell, some people think they're gonna promote him.

Edited by Mr. Scot

24 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The question is not about what NFL owner wants a franchise QB.  The question is: How much is an NFL owner willing to spend on a franchise QB--how much is the owner willing to sacrifice? Is the owner willing to give up what essentially constitutes four or five first round picks (when you take into account that legit stars, CMC and Burns, were first rounders and are still young)? The answer has yet to be determined.

True.  None of us really know how far Tepper is willing to go to get a franchise QB.

Just don't want to see the Panthers to end up like the Texans.  Watkins surrounded by a dearth of talent, with no cap room and no high draft picks to make needed changes.

• Beer 1

I would do three firsts and cmc right fuging now, no questions. 

here is my reasoning, it’s actually two firsts because deshaun is the first round pick we’d be selecting in the 2021 draft. 

Matt Rhule and this coaching staff are suppose to be these great developer of players. They look for athletes with measurables and coach them up. That’s what they were known for at Baylor and Temple. Taking lesser recruits who are athletically gifted and turning them into great football players. That’s what you need if you are without firsts round picks for the next two years. Make Rhule earn that 60 million contract.

My one question is what happens to the cap if we trade cmc? Do we get hit with a fugton of dead cap or do the Texans take that along with him.

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Poo 1

Can't believe just how fast you guys are to hooray a meddling owner because in this instance you agree with him.

If Tepper is forcing Fitts and Rhule to abandon any and all plans they had, and go after X player no matter the cost....I think we could be in for a fairly tough 2nd act in the Panthers saga.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Can't believe just how fast you guys are to hooray a meddling owner because in this instance you agree with him.

If Tepper is forcing Fitts and Rhule to abandon any and all plans they had, and go after X player no matter the cost....I think we could be in for a fairly tough 2nd act in the Panthers saga.

I'd agree, and that's something of a subtext in all of this.

Said previously, the last thing I want is Tepper having any direct involvement in personnel decisions.

It's one thing for an owner to say "you need to get a franchise quarterback". It's another for them to say "it has to be this guy and you'll give up this much".

David Tepper is not qualified to make those kinds of evaluations, and if he overrides the people who are, it's not a good thing.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The best frame of reference we have 

"The Chicago Bears acquired disgruntled Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler in a trade on Thursday afternoon, giving up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 (18th overall) and 2010, along with a third-round pick (84th overall) in 2009 to do it."

Only Deshaun is a much better QB than Jay was at this point. So a higher third pick, and a player makes sense. Orton is Teddy probably.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd agree, and that's something of a subtext in all of this.

Said previously, the last thing I want is Tepper having any direct involvement in personnel decisions.

It's one thing for an owner to say "you need to get a franchise quarterback". It's another for them to say "it has to be this guy and you'll give up this much".

David Tepper is not qualified to make those kinds of evaluations, and if he overrides the people who are, it's not a good thing.

Yea, I'm not going to cheer this on.

Don't like an owner (especially one who trusted Marty Hurney) forcing GM's hands.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I say this as someone who wants to see the Panthers land Watson...

The thought of Tepper directing Fitts and Rhule and telling them which players to get makes me very uncomfortable.