• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

why did we sign teddy

21 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

This is a poorly run franchise. Hopefully it was mostly Marty and we get a fresh start with more good football decisions than bad from here on out.

I'm waiting to see whether Matt Rhule is a good as we think, whether Scottt Federer is as good as his reputation and whether David Tepper will keep his hands off and let the people who know football do their jobs.

It absolutely has been a poorly run franchise for pretty near all of its existence. Those factors will determine whether or not it still is.

• Pie 1

Bridgewater was a stop gap starter till we find our long term starter... and also he had an opportunity to be the long term starter.. Him and Joe Brady were together for a season in NO... also Bridgewater was 5-0 in NO.. we signed him to a market deal .. 20 mill a year is starter money.. Can’t be mad about the signing but it would been nice if Bridgewater played better.. I think Tepper sees that if we had an above avg starter we could have won a handful more games .. Bridgewater is just an below avg starter . So why did we sign him ? Because we know he was a high character guy that has a lot of experience as a starter with a winning record.. it was low risk low reward deal and we could lateral quickly if didn’t work out and can’t say the panthers didn’t try.. it just didn’t work out... he was not paid or thought of as a Franchise QB just a stop gap  untill we find the QB ... I say worse case let’s sign Fitzpatrick if miss on everybody else smh

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Leotiger said:

Bridgewater was a stop gap starter till we find our long term starter... and also he had an opportunity to be the long term starter.. Him and Joe Brady were together for a season in NO... also Bridgewater was 5-0 in NO.. we signed him to a market deal .. 20 mill a year is starter money.. Can’t be mad about the signing but it would been nice if Bridgewater played better.. I think Tepper sees that if we had an above avg starter we could have won a handful more games .. Bridgewater is just an below avg starter . So why did we sign him ? Because we know he was a high character guy that has a lot of experience as a starter with a winning record.. it was low risk low reward deal and we could lateral quickly if didn’t work out and can’t say the panthers didn’t try.. it just didn’t work out... he was not paid or thought of as a Franchise QB just a stop gap  untill we find the QB ... I say worse case let’s sign Fitzpatrick if miss on everybody else smh

This.  Whether it worked out or not, this was the rationale.  We overpaid because we wanted him, largely because of his familiarity with the offense.  We know New England was interested in him, so we "bid" high to get him inked, whether smart or not.  His contract is basically three years with a relatively cheap out after two.  In terms of Hurney contracts, it is cheap.

There is probably not team in this league that does not have an acquisition that didn't turn out the way they wanted.

He may be our starter in week one of 2021.  That was known from day one, and if he is, hopefully we have somebody new (and good) waiting in the wings.  We have not had somebody approaching good (or arguably decent), let alone new and good, behind the starter in a while.

Now the bigger question:  why do we have a thread asking this same question four times a week?  We have a lot of people whose motto is "we're not happy unless we're not happy."  Instead of looking forward, they are obsessed with what is done.

• Pie 1

For the same reason I said from the start, someone in the organization thought they could win with him.  

The idea that he was just a bridge QB, which most around thought, was stupid from the start.

If that was the case they wouldn't be talking about getting rid of him like they are. 

• Beer 1

24 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

This.  Whether it worked out or not, this was the rationale.  We overpaid because we wanted him, largely because of his familiarity with the offense.  We know New England was interested in him, so we "bid" high to get him inked, whether smart or not.  His contract is basically three years with a relatively cheap out after two.  In terms of Hurney contracts, it is cheap.

There is probably not team in this league that does not have an acquisition that didn't turn out the way they wanted.

He may be our starter in week one of 2021.  That was known from day one, and if he is, hopefully we have somebody new (and good) waiting in the wings.  We have not had somebody approaching good (or arguably decent), let alone new and good, behind the starter in a while.

Now the bigger question:  why do we have a thread asking this same question four times a week?  We have a lot of people whose motto is "we're not happy unless we're not happy."  Instead of looking forward, they are obsessed with what is done.

Well we gave him the biggest QB contract in franchise history in terms of average salary and his 2021 salary will be the second highest we have ever paid a player at any position. I believe it is actually a top 5 biggest contract we have ever handed out in terms of total value.

I'd say that is pretty bad.

Because we have an owner who couldn't recognize that his new toy was, and had been run by incompetent people for a long time, and he was perfectly complicit in continuing down the same path set before him by the previous owner of said new toy.

There was a simple path laid out in front of Tepper, Hurney, and Rhule....none of them could see it, or worse, they thought this roster was a winner or close to it.

51 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

For the same reason I said from the start, someone in the organization thought they could win with him.  

The idea that he was just a bridge QB, which most around thought, was stupid from the start.

If that was the case they wouldn't be talking about getting rid of him like they are. 

The structure of the contract definitely says short-term, bridge-type signing with potential for more if he developed. I think though the combination o the team being notably more competitive right off the bat (the whole '5-year plan thing' set expectations low), Teddy's flaws being very apparent and weaknesses becoming clear in critical areas, and Teddy's less than stellar public showing as the year went on (and perhaps other friction behind closed doors) turned it into an immediate area of need. 

I think this is a case of Tepper learning from a mistake and working to both improve the team and win back some fan favor.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Well we gave him the biggest QB contract in franchise history in terms of average salary and his 2021 salary will be the second highest we have ever paid a player at any position. I believe it is actually a top 5 biggest contract we have ever handed out in terms of total value.

I'd say that is pretty bad.

True, but not when adjusted for the market conditions in the NFL. 

It is not like we inked circa 2015 or 16 Cam to a new deal in 2019, released him, and then paid Teddy dramatically more than we paid Cam a year later.  What we paid Teddy is pretty much average of the 2020 starting QB market, maybe a little below.  He was 19th last year, when a top-level starting QB not on a rookie contract would have been pushing $30M.  He is 17th this year. 

Just by the very nature of the salary cap trend prior to 2021, the contracts handed out in 2020 are likely to be some of the biggest ever handed out.  That is simply because they are based on 2020 money, not 2015, or 2010, or 2005.

2021 may be different because the NFL economy has gone into a recession of sorts.  I expect to see salaries flat to a decline this year, and a lot of one or two year deals because of it.

But I ask again, why do we have a new thread on this seemingly four times a week?  Especially when not only has the check been written, but the guy who wrote it no longer has the checkbook, the debit card, or any credit cards.

5 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

True, but not when adjusted for the market conditions in the NFL. 

It is not like we inked circa 2015 or 16 Cam to a new deal in 2019, released him, and then paid Teddy dramatically more than we paid Cam a year later.  What we paid Teddy is pretty much average of the 2020 starting QB market, maybe a little below.  He was 19th last year, when a top-level starting QB not on a rookie contract would have been pushing $30M.  He is 17th this year. 

Just by the very nature of the salary cap trend prior to 2021, the contracts handed out in 2020 are likely to be some of the biggest ever handed out.  That is simply because they are based on 2020 money, not 2015, or 2010, or 2005.

2021 may be different because the NFL economy has gone into a recession of sorts.  I expect to see salaries flat to a decline this year, and a lot of one or two year deals because of it.

But I ask again, why do we have a new thread on this seemingly four times a week?  Especially when not only has the check been written, but the guy who wrote it no longer has the checkbook, the debit card, or any credit cards.

He is the 13th highest QB salary this season and will be 10th in 2022. Prescott will likely push him down the ladder but Big Ben and Alex Smith may get cut, so he could actually end up higher in 2021.

It was an atrocious signing, for an atrocious amount, by an atrocious GM. 

As for why this dead horse keeps being so heartily beaten? Well that is no mystery at all.........it's February. This is one of the 2-3 months during the year during which most of the horse hamburger is made.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Because we have an owner who couldn't recognize that his new toy was, and had been run by incompetent people for a long time, and he was perfectly complicit in continuing down the same path set before him by the previous owner of said new toy.

There was a simple path laid out in front of Tepper, Hurney, and Rhule....none of them could see it, or worse, they thought this roster was a winner or close to it.

I don't think Tepper thought this roster was a winner or close to it, and he gave us every indication he expected it to be  

While Rhule said (or implied) it was, I doubt he thought so, either. 

Whether Hurney thought so or not is an entirely different matter, but as much as I pick on him, I doubt he did, either.

In each case, I suspect the thought was it was as good as they were going to put on the field after flushing the toilet.  But everybody had to know they had just flushed the toilet. 

Hurney probably thought it was enough to keep his job, but thankfully Tepper did not agree.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He is the 13th highest QB salary this season and will be 10th in 2022. Prescott will likely push him down the ladder but Big Ben and Alex Smith may get cut, so he could actually end up higher in 2021.

It was an atrocious signing, for an atrocious amount, by an atrocious GM. 

As for why this dead horse keeps being so heartily beaten? Well that is no mystery at all.........it's February. This is one of the 2-3 months during the year during which most of the horse hamburger is made.

Again, pretty much middle of the pack this year.  The 2021 lists I see are tainted not only because Dak is absent, but they also contain Brees' renegotiated salary which gets about five asterisks.  I have no idea what they will do with Big Ben or Alex Smith, so it about all evens out, I think.

Also again, people are jumping off the cliff about a GM who is gone.  This is one of the remaining gifts of his that keep on giving, but I highly doubt Teddy will be 10th in 2022 because the way his contract is structured, he is going to have to have people saying he looks Russell Wilson or that they are sure glad we did not trade the farm for Watson (if anybody does) to collect on that money.