• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Excluding Deshaun Watson & Zach Wilson...

davos

So this is where I keep falling to with the draft and it's looking beyond those two.  And when I do...I keep hopping sides of the fence with Fields, Lance, & Jones.  I recognize their pros and cons, their knowns and unknowns, and I still can't parse it out.  None of them really say PICK ME like Lawrence and Wilson do.  They just don't.  I'm having a hard time seeing Fields outside of the OSU offense, there's too many unknowns with Trey Lance, and Mac Jones, well, that's been heavily discussed ha. 

So looking back at the top, I foresee a tricky situation with the Deshaun Watson trade madness.  If we get him, we get him. Done.

If we don't though; there's a very high chance the team is either MIA or NYJ. 

In the event of a HOU-MIA trade: NYJ stays at #2 and it makes a potential trade up very costly for us, especially since NYJ will absolutely need a QB.  I just don't see #8 to #2 happening if Watson goes to Miami.  NYJ would be inane to not pick Zach Wilson.

In the event of a HOU-NYJ trade: Houston will be at 2 and could very well take Wilson.  I mean, they will take Zach Wilson unless they go even more crazy than they already are.

So the fact that this Watson madness is happening is directly putting Zach Wilson out of reach in my opinion.  So then, without looking at Trevor, Deshaun, or Zach Wilson, who is the QB we go for?  How would you attack this after exhausting options to get those guys?  Is any other rookie really worth it?  Do any of these vets really have long term appeal?  Or SB starting caliber skills?

So my main questions:

• Is there a chance to stockpile an extra first with a trade-down? That gets us capital next year for a trade up w/that Howell cat.  But the team will be better so where could those 2 firsts fall?
  • Is the potential of Trey Lance or Justin Fields worth the risk? 
  • Is Dak a legit possibility?  Would we even want him for two firsts?
  • And if none of the above happening, what is the non-Bridgewater solution for 2021? Minshew? Darnold? It then starts to get messy.

Really breaking this down makes me see why this Deshaun thing happening saves us a load of time; no more playing in the mud with mediocrity. 

In conclusion, and contrary to my thread title: Watson or Bust. 

• Pie 1

This is exactly why the entire fanbase was outraged with that WFT win. Shouldn’t be in this position. But my opinion on the matter is you trade down and stockpile assets. 

Fields, Jones, or Lance would be there later and I’d be fine with any of them outside the top 15. Or you got assets to make a trade for a top tier veteran mid-draft. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

It's still too early this year. Their prodays and interviews will be key. Fields and Lance need to shine or else. Fug Mac, not in the discussion. 

Yeah, Fields and Lance will no doubt be under the biggest microscope in my view.  If we think one of them is our guy, we'll go get him.  If not, then that's where things start to get tricky.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

It's still too early this year. Their prodays and interviews will be key. Fields and Lance need to shine or else. Fug Mac, not in the discussion. 

Why is the pro day and interview big for Fields and not Wilson? 

I really don't get this Wilson/Fields thing.  I guess I'll quit worrying about it.  But these rocket ship narratives we have seen w/ Wilson jumping Fields is just something my pea brain doesn't compute. 

39 minutes ago, CRA said:

Why is the pro day and interview big for Fields and not Wilson? 

I really don't get this Wilson/Fields thing.  I guess I'll quit worrying about it.  But those rocket ship narrative we have seen w/ Wilson jumping Fields is just something my pea brain computes. 

Fields is still the #2 QB on my board. #3 overall. People dig into everything Fields does but excuse the concerns of Lance and Wilson at the same time. It’s just a matter of preference I guess. 

Lance has played one season of football in 3 years. And really it’s even crazier than that. He was at a high school that didn’t throw the ball. So he wasn’t really quarterbacking in high school. He goes to college and sits a year on the best team in their league. Then he plays one amazing year on the best team in his league and then he plays 30 passes in one game where he looked god awful on the best team in the league against lesser comp. But ignore real concerns and base his elite status off of one year.

Wilson played one mediocre team all year and looked pedestrian at best. They’ll excuse the entire season before that because he was playing hurt but won’t look at the two bad Fields games where half or 4/5 of the oline, the #1, 3, 4 and 5 pass catching options were missing. 

Fields has concerns as well but I just don’t understand why Fields is held to a much higher standard than the others. That Fields game against Clemson this past season? That’s the type of game that neither Wilson or Lance has ever had. Banged up against a championship caliber football team and he lit them up. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, Varking said:

Fields is still the #2 QB on my board. #3 overall. People dig into everything Fields does but excuse the concerns of Lance and Wilson at the same time. It’s just a matter of preference I guess. 

Lance has played one season of football in 3 years. And really it’s even crazier than that. He was at a high school that didn’t throw the ball. So he wasn’t really quarterbacking in high school. He goes to college and sits a year on the best team in their league. Then he plays one amazing year on the best team in his league and then he plays 30 passes in one game where he looked god awful on the best team in the league against lesser comp. But ignore real concerns and base his elite status off of one year.

Wilson played one mediocre team all year and looked pedestrian at best. They’ll excuse the entire season before that because he was playing hurt but won’t look at the two bad Fields games where half or 4/5 of the oline, the #1, 3, 4 and 5 pass catching options were missing. 

Fields has concerns as well but I just don’t understand why Fields is held to a much higher standard than the others. That Fields game against Clemson this past season? That’s the type of game that neither Wilson or Lance has ever had. Banged up against a championship caliber football team and he lit them up. 

Trevor and Fields have the two highest ceilings.  So if you got good coaching, the order to me at least, seems obvious.   

2 hours ago, davos said:

In the event of a HOU-NYJ trade: Houston will be at 2 and could very well take Wilson.  I mean, they will take Zach Wilson unless they go even more crazy than they already are.

I honestly think this will end up happening. Houston needs the picks more than it needs a disgruntled QB. They could get 2 and 23 and 34 THIS year. Not saying it works that way, but thats a lot of high end, low pay talent plus they get Zach Wilson. No brainer IMO.

• Pie 1

This year, the QBs are a bigger mystery that in the past, and they are always a mystery.  Do not assume you know the deal--YouTube videos and articles by meth addicts are hardly sources we need to use to make "final answer" decisions in early March.

9 minutes ago, Aquemini said:

Watson has 2 torn ACL's in his career, no thanks. Zach Wilson has already had throwing shoulder surgery.

It could take years to find our next franchise QB and people here act like the next QB will be it .. it could take 7 or 8 next guys to find the franchise guy. 

You know, similar to the Panthers before 2011

ACL tears don't bother me anymore.  

Watson tore his ACL then suited up the next week to beat his rival.  Next two seasons he went to back to back Natty's and became the best player in college.  ACL didn't impact him.  Went to the NFL.  Tore his ACL his rookie year.  Then went on to be the NFL Watson.  

Look at TD.  Easily argue the best part of his career was post ACL injury.  ACLs happen.  They get fixed.   Players recover. 

Wilson's throwing shoulder surgery is a bigger worry than Watson's knee. 

12 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I honestly think this will end up happening. Houston needs the picks more than it needs a disgruntled QB. They could get 2 and 23 and 34 THIS year. Not saying it works that way, but thats a lot of high end, low pay talent plus they get Zach Wilson. No brainer IMO.

Yeah of the two scenarios I mentioned, that's what I'm leaning towards happens.  At the end of the day, I don't think HOU wants to risk not getting their guy and landing pick 3.   NYJ have what they need, some defensive talent and the #2 pick in the draft, along with a few other tradable picks as well.

That's where the MIA pick suddenly becomes interesting.  Do we like Fields that much?  Is the trade up worth it?  That's the big move if there is one for us in the draft, a Fields trade up to #3 leaping ATL for a QB we want.

Now sure, like people are saying above me, don't be so sure/etc., but I just think teams will view this Zach Wilson kid higher.  

We can only make our best guesses and that's mine.  I just don't see us being complacent at QB anymore from everything I've heard w/Tepper.