• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This might explain a lot

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

Was there ever a man more interested in the bottom line?

53120292401014430421003476992_19ff7746ec

Honestly I never saw him with the scowl on his face until around the time he was privately paying out the hush money due to the "jean day" fiasco. He was probably pissed he had to pay out and even though we didnt know it till later, he was wearing his feelings on his shoulders in these pics.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

tbh thank god for the rookie pay scale

that was getting out of hand very quickly

Agreed. Paying a rookie that had never taken a snap more than an all pro was ridiculous. There needed to be a rookie cap. Early picks had to work out because if they didn't, the salary cap damage just made the pick even worse. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 minutes ago, 54th man said:

Honestly I never saw him with the scowl on his face until around the time he was privately paying out the hush money due to the "jean day" fiasco. He was probably pissed he had to pay out and even though we didnt know it till later, he was wearing his feelings on his shoulders in these pics.

Mentioned elsewhere, but I remember when that scandal broke and he announced that it would be handled by "internal investigation".

I think he genuinely believed the "good old boy" network of the NFL would cover for him.

Yeah...Not in this day and age.

His face when he found out they wouldn't probably looked a lot like those pictures.

• Flames 2

17 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

All things considered, shocking we've had the amount of "success" we did in 20 years when we were so obviously hamstrung in a lot of ways by the owner/GM/coaching choices. 

Definitely.

Of course, having an owner who judged the quality of the draft primarily by the first round probably made it easier to be a mediocre GM.

• Beer 4

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Mentioned elsewhere, but I remember when that scandal broke and he announced that it would be handled by "internal investigation".

I think he genuinely believed the "good old boy" network of the NFL would cover for him.

Yeah...Not in this day and age.

His face when he found out they wouldn't probably looked a lot like those pictures.

Even though he was wrong I am forever grateful to the man for bringing the nfl to the Carolinas. Sweet logo sweet colors sweet foundation. Oh well

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

13 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

Was there ever a man more interested in the bottom line?

53120292401014430421003476992_19ff7746ec

Exactly. JR cared about revenue first and foremost...of course the draft was all about who got paid most lol.

It’s really was a shame is he was the owner for 20 years.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, 54th man said:

Even though he was wrong I am forever grateful to the man for bringing the nfl to the Carolinas. Sweet logo sweet colors sweet foundation. Oh well

One man cannot possibly do that. PSL owners, demand, and tax payers made the Carolina Panthers a reality.

If it wasn’t JR it would’ve been another person. Because the former 3 things (a local market and one willing to pay for a team) were there. 

JR was just the guy who was able to own it. Lucky for him. Unfortunate for the Carolinas.

Edited by onmyown
  • The D 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

tbh thank god for the rookie pay scale

that was getting out of hand very quickly

I agree but it sucks that the franchise tag is still a thing.  A player could get hit with the 5th-year option and a franchise tag (potentially 2-3x but unlikely) before being able to negotiate a contract or hit the open market.

I get why the current players wouldn't care about guys not in the league yet, but wish they could have negotiated something better.  I think making it where it is a 3-year deal and the 4th year is the option year works out for both the player and the team.  And make it where you can only be tagged once.  That still lets a team hold onto a player for at least 5 years if they can't negotiate a contract, but eliminates the possibility of getting tagged more than once and guarantees you hit the open market (if you so choose) after 5 years in the NFL as opposed to potentially 6 or more.   

• Pie 2