• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Simms “no way the panthers draft Lance at 8”

GoobyPls

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Jones was great that game and his talent around him wasn't that much better than what Fields had. 

Are you sure you want to make that argument?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/wide-receivers/wide-receivers

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/wide-receivers/runningbacks

Going back and reading these old scouting reports can be funny...

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017pmahomes.php

https://medium.com/sportsraid/the-nfl-draft-scouting-reports-patrick-mahomes-blew-away-bb0871f5808

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article224076765.html

The point being no one ''truly'' knows what's going to happen a lot of it is based off of preference, Cam had a similar ill regard around him when we had the #1 overall pick. 

In most cases the team does their homework on these guys, and to be fair, when we talk about Lance, he possesses a lot of traits that translate to the NFL, will he need time, it's possible, you don't know until you have them in meetings, practice, etc. And considering TB's contract and dead money he may be here to be that bridge QB for a guy like Lance who may need some time. 

But IMO, you draft traits that can't be taught (athleticism to change the game, and arm talent, dudes don't get clocked by GPS at 20/21+ MPH by accident) 

9 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

If not him then someone else will take him. Jones is a legit NFL quarterback candidate and in our system would be very good. He dismantled the Buckeyes and it wasn't as close as the score made it appear. Jones was great that game and his talent around him wasn't that much better than what Fields had. The hunt for the next Mahomes has really skewed QB evaluations.

well I am of the opinion college football is full of guys who would thrive at Alabama playing QB....and don't have the god given tools to have success in the NFL. 

Bama has the best roster in college football.  And it isn't close.   Even when they get beat and don't win the natty....they have the best roster.  

It was also easier to beat Ohio St with a hurt Fields and a team that likely blew their emotional energy in that game vs Clemson.   You see that a lot.  Clemson was the game Ohio St had penciled in for a year.   To me, that also showed.   They were going to lose regardless because there was a pretty big gap IMO in talent this year between Ohio St/Bama.   

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, SetfreexX said:

But IMO, you draft traits that can't be taught (athleticism to change the game, and arm talent, dudes don't get clocked by GPS at 20/21+ MPH by accident) 

Maybe at other positions, but not at quarterback.

Quarterbacks who aren't accurate, can't make reads, etc. don't last at the NFL level, no matter how athletic they are.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

I agree that anyone other than those 2 at #8 will be a reach, but I hate the idea of rolling with TB again. I feel doubly hurt because I gave him the benefit of the doubt when we signed him and he poo all over me.  

I've mentioned this a few times, but I'm all for getting Minshew or Trubisky and trading back to flesh out the holes on this team. Doing anything in a panic isn't good. We could really get a lot of draft capital and an improvement at QB without selling the farm for Watson or committing to a QB @ 8. Let's build the best team we can.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

I've mentioned this a few times, but I'm all for getting Minshew or Trubisky and trading back to flesh out the holes on this team. Doing anything in a panic isn't good. We could really get a lot of draft capital and an improvement at QB without selling the farm for Watson or committing to a QB @ 8. Let's build the best team we can.

Minshew and Trubisky are my last resort guys. I'd rather try one of them out than roll with Teddy again, but really hoping we can land a better prospect.

2 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

How many wins does Minshew or Trubisky result in? I dont think either of these guys are the future. I would rather throw a true scrub out there so we can get an actual QB next offseason than roll with mediocre.

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

How many wins does Minshew or Trubisky result in? I dont think either of these guys are the future. I would rather throw a true scrub out there so we can get an actual QB next offseason than roll with mediocre.

Honestly, I would too but I absolutely do not think we're going to do that. We had the perfect opportunity for a "tank" season last year and we passed on it.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, I would too but I absolutely do not think we're going to do that. We had the perfect opportunity for a "tank" season last year and we passed on it.

That was Marty "one piece away" Hurney though. If we dont get a QB we are screwed and Tepper wants one sooner rather than later. I just hope we dont reach on a Jones or Trask type guy.

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

That was Marty "one piece away" Hurney though. If we dont get a QB we are screwed and Tepper wants one sooner rather than later. I just hope we dont reach on a Jones or Trask type guy.

Another reason why we aren't tanking. We're taking a shot on somebody. Anybody.

I don't necessarily agree with that approach because I think that thought played a big role in us ending up with Teddy. We came to the conclusion that Cam's shoulder was shot and made the call to move on. There was a guy who had worked with Brady in the past and ran a very similar offense, what could go wrong? Well, evidently a lot.

• Beer 1