• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's Draft General thread 2021

Verge

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

The funny thing about him is that even the Lance stans(and I am largely one) can understand the criticisms of him as a prospect. The Jones stans cannot wrap their heads around why people don't like him as a prospect.

IMO, you really have to believe in that elite processing and upper tier decision making idea for him to be a top 10 prospect. 

Exactly---I do think processing and his swag are important.  I see the weaknesses (as I just posted) and do not know if I were a GM if I could pull the trigger on him.  Not at 8.  A friend of mine (now a lawyer in Va) went to college with Fitspatrick, and they were friends (Harvard).  Fits told him (early in his career) "The only area in which I lead the league is good looks (kidding).  He said, I am not a great athlete, I have a below average arm, and I am very white, a condition I have been working on since birth, but it is still an issue.  I just see the field better than most.  I recognize when the DBs feet are out of place when the WR seems covered--I see him open in one second and throw it knowing that there is no way the DB can recover.  In the NFL, if you wait for the WR to get open your window is probably closed.  I don't worry about the now, I live in the future 1 second from now.  I just see it all and if I were a better athlete with a stronger arm, I could make more happen than I do, but I know my limitations and stay in my lane...I can go back to the sideline after a play and tell the coach why I did not throw to all three WRs and threw it away. Sometimes,  it is not until they watch the film do they see why I did it.  It is not intelligence, it is not athleticism, it is just what I can do that separates me from others who cannot." (paraphrased)  That was about 12 years ago--probably while I have implicit bias.

No, Fitz has never been great because he lacks the tools and has played on some terrible teams, but I think the great ones share this ability to some degree.  I am basing my opinion of Jones on that--Jones seems to have "it". 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

None of these guys are perfect prospects, but that isn't a big shock. I think if you line up the pros and the cons, Jones has way more cons than the rest of those other 4 guys do IMO.

I can see the argument to a higher overall floor than some of them but his ceiling is just so low. His best case range doesn't have a lot of elite QB's in it. 

I see how you see that---it is really hard to predict who is going to succeed and fail, which is why we all think we can be GMs better than the GMs.  I do--I am like, "If Hurney can do this, I can..."  🤔

• Flames 1

I think Jones is more of a bottom of the first round kind of guy, but will probably be drafted higher just because that is what the league does.  He is not someone I want at 8 for sure, but just because I don't think he is worthy of 8, does not mean I drop him to the 3rd round or something

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Why would he?

Damn strong argument.

We are waiting to hear why he would not.

Why he might:

77.4% completions, 42 TDs, 4 Ints, 350 yards per game.  What criteria are you using to dismiss him?  Remember not to list things that he had when he won a national title with numbers higher than Burrow (last year) and Trevor. 

He has a quick release and processes very quickly.  So if you discount the fact that he succeeded on the biggest stage in the toughest conference and won a national title, please tell me about this amazing power you have--because it has not been a problem to this point.

5 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

We'll see, we'll see.

We will.  He may be a bust, may fall like a brass balloon.  But to say anything (as others are doing) with absolute certainty about a player who has only performed at the highest level on the highest stage is false bravado.  I do not know who will be good and who will not--I am just basing my support for a man that possesses some impressive stats and impressive cognitive and leadership skills.  If you ever hear me say, "He is not going in the first round..." or "He is a bust"  then please understand that i am bluffing to impress others into thinking that i have wisdom I actually lack, because any intelligent fan, scout, GM, etc. will tell you, "The best I can give you is an educated guess."

• Beer 2

17 minutes ago, Verge said:

I watched a loooot of UNC RB tape. That dude is Kamara 2.0

I like Carter as Kamala 2.0

he is the slippery one who knows how to make himself smaller, also catches well.

Javonte is much different, much more power aspect to his game.  Guy is honestly the best blocker out of any of the RBs coming out as well IMO which will help him jump right in as a rookie.

29 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We will.  He may be a bust, may fall like a brass balloon.  But to say anything (as others are doing) with absolute certainty about a player who has only performed at the highest level on the highest stage is false bravado.  I do not know who will be good and who will not--I am just basing my support for a man that possesses some impressive stats and impressive cognitive and leadership skills.  If you ever hear me say, "He is not going in the first round..." or "He is a bust"  then please understand that i am bluffing to impress others into thinking that i have wisdom I actually lack, because any intelligent fan, scout, GM, etc. will tell you, "The best I can give you is an educated guess."

Same here. Me, I'm going to cheer for whoever we take and whoever we trot out onto the field in September.

• Pie 2