• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign OT Cam Erving - 2 years, 10 million, 8 fully guaranteed

Varking

41 minutes ago, stbugs said:

You read Josh Klein’s tweet. That 2 and 4 isn’t the average salary. It’s the guaranteed money. The total deals are 2 years $10M for Erving so with $8M guaranteed, he’ll get all $10 unless he’s an unmitigated disaster in whic case we paid him $8M for one year. Elflein is getting $13.5M for 3 years. With $6M guaranteed he’s likely getting at least 2 years with us, somewhere around $9M since I don’t think we’ve seen exact numbers. Contract wise they are $4.5M and $5M per year, not $2M and $4M. Even if we only pay the guaranteed, there’s no way we pay only 2 and 4 per year.

This is the link I went to for Gs (there’s a LG and a RG):

https://overthecap.com/position/left-guard/

That’s where I saw Thuney. This one is average per year which might be better than cap hit since that can be gamed. That’s where these two are just outside the top 20, which again is above average starter money with 64 starting guards. 

I didnt read anything, I dont have a social media account outside of Instagram and havent for 4 years now. Can check the time stamps, posted my response in this thread before Klein tweet was even posted. 

Regardless my decision to use 5 million as a base was for the same reason you just mentioned, because its an avg value of 5 and 4.5 respectively. 

I chose to look at cap hit because, like you said, it can be gamed. A player making 10 million can have 9 million converted to signing bonus and then only have a salary of 1 million. I was attempting to paint with as broad a brush as I could to try and account for any and all variables. 

Reviewing OTC it looks like we have every intention of trying Erving at LT and Pat as Center of the future. 

Looking at that list Erving would be ranked 22 of 32 LTs at 5 mil and Elflein would be tied for 23rd out of 64 at 4.5mil. Pat as a C as 4.5 would rank 19th. 

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

No worries, his tweet is the only place I ever saw someone trying to say $2M per year and $4M per year. The only way to get that is if you only pay the guarantee and then if you do that it means we cut them after a year and their average salaries are $8M and $6M.

I do think average salary works out best, but I don't Erving is LT of the future. He might start there if we draft a rookie to develop, but god help our QB if we really think he's future LT material. Elflein will be a guard this year and maybe C next year, but honestly the average salaries of the LG/C/RG aren't much different at all.

Regardless, we definitely paid starter money (not backup or depth) to both and that's why I think we've gotten really poor grades. Trying to plug one hole with a guy coming off injuries isn't great, but plugging two holes with guys who missed 9 and 10 games last year is really playing with fire. Last time we did that was 2019 with Williams and Paradis and that was a poo show at C and LT.

Oh these guys 100% aren't the future. I think they're place holders to set us up to go BPA or make sure we have at least some semblance of an offensive line if we need to part with picks for a QB trade. 

I agree they aren't top 1/3 starters at their position but I also don't think they're Amini, Byron Bell, Nate Chandler, Foucalt level bad.

I dont love either move, but at least get what the team is trying to do. Id argue that Paradis and Williams injuries were a bit more severe and both looked substantially better in their second seasons back from injury but thats neither here nor there. 

End of the day we all just want this team to win. 

I echo the want/love form 2015....but that was 2015. Since then this guy put out a little good tape and LOTS of BAD. 

Frittererer 0-3 in free agency thus far, including the dumb Kerr cut... Versatility is his "strength", but is it still a strength if you struggle at LT, LG, C, RG, RT? Better hope the coaching staff can fix him to be at least "average". Backup my ass, Trent Scott is a aro-bowler compared to Erv, find other Trent Scotts. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

51 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I echo the want/love form 2015....but that was 2015. Since then this guy put out a little good tape and LOTS of BAD. 

Frittererer 0-3 in free agency thus far, including the dumb Kerr cut... Versatility is his "strength", but is it still a strength if you struggle at LT, LG, C, RG, RT? Better hope the coaching staff can fix him to be at least "average". Backup my ass, Trent Scott is a aro-bowler compared to Erv, find other Trent Scotts. 

Lol how is he 0-3 in FA when season hasn’t even started yet

Just now, Mage said:

Lol how is he 0-3 in FA when season hasn’t even started yet

Pat Elflein 0-1

Cameron Erving 0-2

Zack Kerr plays hard, cheap, and panthers need DTs. YEP lets cut him! 0-3

Im having flashbacks.....RECENT flashblacks..... yea they are somewhat "cheap", but the only thing cheap is their tape. Injuries, Injuries, a history of injuries and when they play subpar is being very nice..

13 minutes ago, Basbear said:

That first year is nothing, at least when it jumps to 7+ million the panthers have 100 million in space. Still huge deal for a guy with 90% bad tape, needs a OL guru just like Little...

And then next year people will be screaming “where does all our cap space go!?!?!?!?” As we sit on more dead cap because of our two signings today.

People constantly wonder how the Saints and other teams like the Rams afford their guys. Well for starters they don’t constantly hand out dumb contracts that they’re trying to get rid of the following year

55 minutes ago, Basbear said:

That first year is nothing, at least when it jumps to 7+ million the panthers have 100 million in space. Still huge deal for a guy with 90% bad tape, needs a OL guru just like Little...

They combined 3.5m 2021 cap hit.... allowing 10m for draft picks the Panthers still have 17-19m in spendable cap space people need to quit with the no money crap, its simply not true.

45 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

And then next year people will be screaming “where does all our cap space go!?!?!?!?” As we sit on more dead cap because of our two signings today.

People constantly wonder how the Saints and other teams like the Rams afford their guys. Well for starters they don’t constantly hand out dumb contracts that they’re trying to get rid of the following year

Kalil is really the super bad signing the rest were horrible extensions. We also have KK Short and Luke Kuechly are costing us 18m this upcoming season.