• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deshaun Watson has lawsuit filed against him by Tony Buzbee

Verge

7 hours ago, TNPanther said:

This. My family has a ton of NOLA connections... I’ve heard a ton of negative things about Brees.

Interesting.  When I worked in Del Mar/Solana Beach, would see him with his fam around every once and a while during offseasons.  Honestly, seemed like a great dude which sucked bc I wanted to dislike the guy. 

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I had a chick I was mildly dating a couple of years ago throw an accusation of being "raped" by a mutual friend. It was an event at his house(he is married with a kid and both of them were there at the time) with a lot of people around and no one saw anything like she described. It was quite the tale and wouldn't have gone unnoticed by everyone, plus it involved the dudes wife. After a little asking around, she had fabricated the entire event because she got drunk and started being sexually aggressive towards basically everyone there. This was her attempt to mask her poor behavior. 

The worst part is, sexual assault/harassment is a HUGE problem. The pieces of poo that throw these things out there do the maximum damage not to the people they are accusing but to actual victims of sexual assault. I feel that way about anyone who uses an accusation falsely. You ruin the credibility of real victims. 

And we all know that the "friends" or coworkers of these people know that. The same way dirty, crooked ass cops get defended by their POS coworkers keeping the "blue line." If you know someone throwing out ANY sort of false allegation that can ruin someone's reputation, career or LIFE, you are just ask guilty as those people who stay silent when they know of someone like a Harvey Weinstein or some of these other monsters that prey on people. 

I've seen stuff like this from a few different angles.

It's an unfortunate fact of my life that I've known several women who have been victims of assault. The vast majority did not end up going to the police. Honestly, the closest they came to any kind of justice was one whose brother kicked the guy's ass.

I've also known people who have been falsely accused of stuff, though none of that went to the next level either. It was all just pretty much he said / she said type situations with varying results.

And one unique bit: Had a friend of mine who I believed was being falsely accused of date rape. Later found out he was pretty much guilty but nothing ended up happening to him (not friends anymore).

It's all pretty deep sh-t. Frankly, how this affects his trade prospects shouldn't be anybody's top priority. This is his whole life if anything comes of it.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 2

7 hours ago, TNPanther said:

This. My family has a ton of NOLA connections... I’ve heard a ton of negative things about Brees.

9 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

I live in Houston and have worked with numerous Texan players in my line of work. I have never heard a single negative thing about Watson. 

On a side note, you should hear some of the things said behind closed doors about Drew Brees.

the office smile GIF

• Beer 1

30 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I had a drunk theory I pitched to some friends many moons ago that people that file false police reports or bring up false allegations that result in criminal charges should face the exact same penalty as the accused. I also thought this should apply to prosecutors and cops. It would never work but it would be the fairest of all systems. 

Terrible idea. You're basically making high-profile sex offenders untouchable. What woman, abused by a powerful man, is going to bring charges against him if there's a remote chance of getting discredited by his high-dollar legal team, PR team, and the smear campaign he's going to throw at her? If she gets beaten in the courtroom due to crooked legal shenanigans, then she'll have a) been raped, b) didn't see her abuser get justice, and c) gets punished for his crimes.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've seen stuff like this from a few different angles.

It's an unfortunate fact of my life that I've known several women who have been victims of assault. The vast majority did not end up going to the police. Honestly, the closest they came to any kind of justice was one whose brother kicked the guy's ass.

I've also known people who have been falsely accused of stuff, though none of that went to the next level either. It was all just pretty much he said / she said.

And one unique bit, had a friend of mine who I believed was being falsely accused of date rape. Later found out he was pretty much guilty but nothing ended up happening to him.

It's all pretty deep sh-t. Frankly, how this affects his trade prospects shouldn't be anybody's top priority. This is his whole life if anything comes of it.

Yeah, and I have known a few that had been sexually assaulted, as well. Same as you, never knew a single one that reported it. That's actually pretty sad when you think about it but it does match what study after study show. These things go unreported far, far too often. 

As a man, it's really hard to understand that. I couldn't imagine not wanting someone like that to get what they deserve. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Captroop said:

Terrible idea. You're basically making high-profile sex offenders untouchable. What woman, abused by a powerful man, is going to bring charges against him if there's a remote chance of getting discredited by his high-dollar legal team, PR team, and the smear campaign he's going to throw at her? If she gets beaten in the courtroom due to crooked legal shenanigans, then she'll have a) been raped, b) didn't see her abuser get justice, and c) gets punished for his crimes.

That's part of why I said it would never work. Our "justice" system revolves around money and power. It would only work in an idealized justice system that actually functioned as we are conditioned/brainwashed as citizens to believe that it does. 

Also, the current system basically does allow high-profile sex offenders to be close to untouchable. Before the metoo stuff, it FOR SURE was the case. I am pretty doubtful that will completely change. Maybe in a fake liberal place like Hollywood it might but I don't think it will be the case in a lot of other areas where rich and powerful men hold almost all the cards. 

I am skeptical because the rich and powerful have always been favored in the "justice" system.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, and I have known a few that had been sexually assaulted, as well. Same as you, never knew a single one that reported it. That's actually pretty sad when you think about it but it does match what study after study show. These things go unreported far, far too often. 

As a man, it's really hard to understand that. I couldn't imagine not wanting someone like that to get what they deserve. 

I've felt the same, but was able to get some explanations from a few of the people it happened to.

Sad truth is that even for legitimate victims, there are a load of negative repercussions involved in seeking justice. It can permanently alter and/or damage their lives on top of what's already happened. Some would rather just move on.

If you're a guy who's seriously angered by injustice, it's tough to take, but obviously nowhere near as difficult as it is for the victims.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, electro's horse said:

it's not just rumor. Buzbee was Bob McNair's neighbor. 

Kinda raises the question why the offered settlement was only 6 figures. If you're trying to shakedown Watson, you'd think you'd go for a little higher number. 

If it turns out that this was a coordinated smear.....woo lad

It makes no sense why they would smear the QB they are trying to keep around, unless they are trying to get him on the exempt list for cap space and as a "Punishment".

But I don't see much merit in this claim so far. Especially since it apparently is not docketed in court.

8 minutes ago, davos said:

Trump megadonor, failed mayoral candidate, socialite, & "super" lawyer Tony Buzbee, neighbor of Cal McNair, pay-for-play fraudster, and the type of lawyer who buys billboards...yeahh...

My understanding is he was a neighbor of Bob McNair before he died, not Cal, though I've seen some speculation that Buzbee may have exaggerated that himself.

There was a story that he bought billboards trying to encourage Bob to draft Johnny Manziel. Not sure why you have to resort to buying billboards if you've actually got an inside connection with the guy.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

My understanding is he was a neighbor of Bob McNair before he died, not Cal, though I've seen some speculation that Buzbee may have exaggerated that himself.

There was a story that he bought billboards trying to encourage Bob to draft Johnny Manziel. Not sure why you have to resort to buying billboards if you've actually got an inside connection with the guy.

It's because he's a pure skeezball who's trying to make himself look closer than he is to the top brass of Houston area politics when he's really just a publicity lawyer and failed mayoral candidate.