• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Foreshadowing the line?

Mr. Scot

I mean, we're returning all starters but Okung from the start of last year.

2020: Okung-Daley-Paradis-Miller-Moton

2021: Scott/Erving-Daley-Paradis-Miller-Moton (+Elf dude)

And Scott did pretty well and is super young.  If last year was an aberration for Daley, then we could be a-okay and this is without a draft that will no doubt add a tackle and/or guard to the group.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

Same, even if it means rolling with Teddy again...which at this point I'm thinking that we may do outside of a Hail Mary shot at Wilson/Fields/Whichever Fitt and Rhule have graded higher.

Giving up two 1's for anyone not named Trevor scares me pretty good.

I'd probably prefer to sign another veteran backup QB than roll with Teddy. I just can't stomach paying him this massive contract for the paltry return we will likely be getting. I suspect he is about 80% of the way out the door. 

I'd rather roll with a later round QB in the draft than Teddy, TBQH.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I'd probably prefer to sign another veteran backup QB than roll with Teddy. I just can't stomach paying him this massive contract for the paltry return we will likely be getting. I suspect he is about 80% of the way out the door. 

Same.  I'd love to come out of this draft with a new QB (r1), OT (r2), OL/WR/CB/LB BPA (r3-6)

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Gonne cost 22 to keep him and 20 to cut him...if we can't move him, and he won't take a pay cut (he won't) then I'm starting to think he stays at this point.

I would have preferred Grier/Allen last season and kept Teddy far far away from this team...but Hurney and what not.

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

How is Daley capable? He's been healthy less than 60% of his career so far. IMO, he's pretty close to being a lost cause. Being a halfway decent starter doesn't mean much if you aren't ever healthy.

Right now, I see two starting caliber NFL linemen(stretching at three if you include Miller) and then a mixed bag of backup offensive linemen. IMO, we still need a LG, RG and LT. 

I honestly hope we draft a LOT of OL in this upcoming draft. 

That’s why Daley looks like just depth unless he stays healthy. I’m not saying this is a great line or even good, just not terrible for being this early in the offseason. We threw in some vets only lost Okung really who couldn’t stay healthy. Compared to our usual status of our offensive line this is trending in the right direction. Iriving/Scott, Elf/Daley, Paradis, Miller, and Moton is our worst case scenario. We are definitely picking up more talent in the draft and have cap space in case a vet becomes available.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

That’s why Daley looks like just depth unless he stays healthy. I’m not saying this is a great line or even good, just not terrible for being this early in the offseason. We threw in some vets only lost Okung really who couldn’t stay healthy. Compared to our usual status of our offensive line this is trending in the right direction. Iriving/Scott, Elf/Daley, Paradis, Miller, and Moton is our worst case scenario. We are definitely picking up more talent in the draft and have cap space in case a vet becomes available.

I am concerned about the money we spent on the two new free agents but I did like retaining Miller and Scott. We just need to keep filling out that offensive line, IMO. Right now I see a big "Incomplete" grade.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am concerned about the money we spent on the two new free agents but I did like retaining Miller and Scott. We just need to keep filling out that offensive line, IMO. Right now I see a big "Incomplete" grade.

OT in the draft is big.  Would love Mayfield, Cosmi, or that NDSU kid. 

There's actually quite a lot of good lineman so hope we take advantage after R1. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, davos said:

OT in the draft is big.  Would love Mayfield, Cosmi, or that NDSU kid. 

There's actually quite a lot of good lineman so hope we take advantage after R1. 

I have said I wanted 3+ OL in this draft and I definitely mean it. It would be nice to get some young guys to develop and start to build that unit back up. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have said I wanted 3+ OL in this draft and I definitely mean it. It would be nice to get some young guys to develop and start to build that unit back up. 

A Left Tackle + Left Guard and maybe a developmental guy (or) two with our 6th rounders.

Just fit a receiver & CB in there somewhere and those are the ideal position targets IMO.

Fields+Cosmi as the 1-2 combo

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Verge said:

I might drink myself into a coma if Cam Erving is our starting left tackle.

Have you heard any general consensus on how good the OT prospects are?  There seems to be a lot of naturally athletic guys that are 6'4+, 34" arms, & good flexibility.  I see about 6-7 after Sewell & Slater.  A lot more than most years.  

Something fishy is up with the panthers

With the structure of the free agenct signings the panthers have around 26m in cap space (22 million in dead cap)

Fitterer comes from the Seattle school of trading back for more picks. The panthers have a lot of needs two of which are at premium positions (LT, CB)

My guess is that they’re Watson poppin some boners during massages isn’t going to throw them too far off the trail, but that situation won’t be resolved till long after the draft. 

So are the question is, are the panthers going to go bpa this draft possibly trading down(to get a CB and LT) and then going all in on Watson, trading away future drafts and possibly some heavy contracts(Shaq), to have a well rounded team which can be supplemented through free agency a la (TB, NE) until the panthers draft in the 1 st round again. 

or are they going to trade up for a rookie, have a thinner team but more flexibility for the next 3 years via the draft.