• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How realistic a chance at Sewell?

Mr. Scot

8 hours ago, mickeye76 said:

Sorry I worry Slater's average height and length will make him a guard in the NFL.   He obviously proved himself at left tackle in college but that was at Northwestern.  Given the choice between Darrisaw, Eichenberg and Leatherwood or Slater I am taking one of the guys who played against the elites passrushers.  It's the same reason Dillon Radunz is not high on my radar.  Sorry I know they have talent and could transcend the lower level of competition but the learning curve could also be too steep.  Chinn did the same last year proving he belonged but for every Chinn there are so many examples of big fish in little ponds who encounter the sharks of the NFL and are devoured.

Seems like a lot of the best OTs over the past 20 years or so fit this mold. They lack the ideal measurables and everyone wants to try to convert them to OG. Northwestern isn't a powerhouse school but they play in the Big Ten so he was routinely facing too college competition. There should be no shortage of film of him facing future NFL pass rushers.

• Pie 3

8 hours ago, mickeye76 said:

Sorry I worry Slater's average height and length will make him a guard in the NFL.   He obviously proved himself at left tackle in college but that was at Northwestern.  Given the choice between Darrisaw, Eichenberg and Leatherwood or Slater I am taking one of the guys who played against the elites passrushers.  It's the same reason Dillon Radunz is not high on my radar.  Sorry I know they have talent and could transcend the lower level of competition but the learning curve could also be too steep.  Chinn did the same last year proving he belonged but for every Chinn there are so many examples of big fish in little ponds who encounter the sharks of the NFL and are devoured.

He man handled chase young last year

• Pie 3

Make the right pick at 8 for the future of the franchise, not for next season.

With that in mind, and with this slate of players...for me that's whatever QB that falls that we have an actual top 10 grade on.  If Rhule and Fitts have Lance graded that high, take him.  If it's Mac, take him.  If none are rated that high, or none fall then we have a decision to make.

For me, that would be either a LT or a CB in this draft.  Sewell or Slater are fine by me, and in fact, I'd prefer them over Lance at this point, and over Mac as well, but what do I know?

Build the O Line, it's been some time since we both committed to the line, and got the correct players to make the OL a strength.

Please god no to a WR, S, TE, G, etc....

If we don't have Slater ranked as a top 10 player, and Sewell is gone, trade back is acceptable, and preferred over the corner.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, thefuzz said:

Make the right pick at 8 for the future of the franchise, not for next season.

With that in mind, and with this slate of players...for me that's whatever QB that falls that we have an actual top 10 grade on.  If Rhule and Fitts have Lance graded that high, take him.  If it's Mac, take him.  If none are rated that high, or none fall then we have a decision to make.

For me, that would be either a LT or a CB in this draft.  Sewell or Slater are fine by me, and in fact, I'd prefer them over Lance at this point, and over Mac as well, but what do I know?

Build the O Line, it's been some time since we both committed to the line, and got the correct players to make the OL a strength.

Please god no to a WR, S, TE, G, etc....

If we don't have Slater ranked as a top 10 player, and Sewell is gone, trade back is acceptable, and preferred over the corner.

A trade down where we can address the oline is a option I would like to see.  A for instance would be Jacksonville wanting to trade up to 8 for 25 and 33.  Then we take a combo of a center and left tackle.  Liam Eichenberg and Creed Humphrey.  Alex Leatherwood and Josh Myers.  Tevin Jenkins and Landon Dickerson.   Much like the secondary the oline needs an injection of youth.  

It's looking more and more likely that we could have our pick of LT at 8. People are expecting a run of qbs and receivers in front of us. 2 months ago, if someone told you we could draft Sewell without trading away a single pick, who wouldn't have happily taken that? I know everyone wants a qb, but we could have an elite offensive line for the next 5 years minimum with Sewell and Moton. Granted, if we like a qb available at 8, yeah take him and opt for someone like Cosmi or Leatherwood in the 2nd. But if the choice is trade a bunch of picks to move up and take Fields or stay at 8 and take Sewell, I'd probably opt for the latter and figure out a plan B at qb.

• Pie 1

22 hours ago, mickeye76 said:

didnt slater shut down young?

On 3/31/2021 at 4:38 PM, Daddy_Uncle said:

Getting Sewell at 8 would be as big of steal as getting Luke at 9. Get Sewell if you can unless a top qb falls. Fill out roster and worry about qb next year.

and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that 

10 minutes ago, Verge said:

and the year after that and the year after that and the year after that 

I would love to see something like Sewell/Slater at 8, Tucker/Davis/Humphrey in the 2nd.  Then maybe Mond/Mills in the 3rd (or hell see if the jets bite on a 3rd) and see if Brady can develop one of the 3.  You at the very least have your offensive line set for a decade.  

We have to fix the line this year.  No ifs, ands or buts.

On 3/31/2021 at 3:59 PM, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

I would love Sewell. He's gonna be great I think. People whine about Joe Thomas and the Browns but forget they drafted a QB in the 1st round that year (Brady Quinn) and everyone would take Joe over Brady Quinn.

Mac Jones is this years Brady Quinn.

Sewell in 1st and Darnold for a conditional 3rd would be a dream.

• Pie 2