• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Behind the scenes insights

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Two parts I found especially interesting

While the move surprises many, Fitterer saw it coming because the Panthers also had talked to Miami about the possibility of moving to No. 3. Ultimately, the Panthers balked at the draft picks that Miami wanted. Plus, Fitterer was reluctant to make a move before the Panthers completed their evaluations of the top QBs in the draft by attending the pro days for Wilson and Fields.

With the Panthers’ selections falling in the top 10 in each of the first six rounds, Fitterer is not willing to part with a high pick in this year’s draft. “We wanted to keep our picks this year — one, two and three. That was really important to us, especially picking as high as we are in some of those rounds,” he says.

Probably worth remembering that Fitterer's background is as a draft scout.

How great is it to finally have a competent front office?

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I really think it was the Niners trade that made us go 

tenor.gif?itemid=12486338

That's when we realized we needed to start looking at plans F, G, and H on the list.

That very easily could have been us.

We talked to Miami before the 49ers did, saw their asking price and said "hell no".

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

How great is it to finally have a competent front office?

I remember something Fitterer said in one of his press conferences (don't remember which).

He was talking about correcting misinformation that was out there, but then added with a smile that the team might encourage misinformation if it was to their advantage to do so.

I don't know what kind of GM Fitterer is ultimately going to be, but I do remember hearing that answer and thinking "this guy gets it".

• Pie 3

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That very easily could have been us.

We talked to Miami before the 49ers did, saw their asking price and said "hell no".

I just want Darnold to boom or bust and he has a much better chance to do that than Teddy did. Be the answer or get us in position to land Sam Howell, no half stepping please.

Honestly, that's the feel of this roster. We have a bust reclamation project at QB and a veritable MASH unit of free agent acquisitions. This is either gonna really work or really NOT work.

• Pie 1

It just goes to prove what I've been saying about Rhule and Fit being cerebral and not just making panic moves, and not being willing to give away the farm. Also, they're clutching the picks this year and in no way believe that our picks are going to be so high next year. 

• Pie 3

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just want Darnold to boom or bust and he has a much better chance to do that than Teddy did. Be the answer or get us in position to land Sam Howell, no half stepping please.

Honestly, that's the feel of this roster. We have a bust reclamation project at QB and a veritable MASH unit of free agent acquisitions. This is either gonna really work or really NOT work.

MASH unit? 🤣 You guys are just way overblowing this injury thing. Sure some of them have had some injuries, but nothing stands out too too much other than Perryman's dis-ability to stay on the field. Hopefully he'lk have turned that corner. That being said, if we can get anything resembling a full season out of him, and YGM, Brown, Burns, Roy, Chinn, and Miller stays healthy, with the addition of Reddick (even without Perryman) the 1st and 2nd level guys, alone, look to be a SMASH unit!

• Pie 3

I imagine the timeline could have gone a little something like this under a different GM:

=-=-

On Monday Apr 5th, Hurney ordered a meatball sub from Subway like he always does. Spilled some sauce on his shirt.  The sauce made a pattern like an airplane as Marty tried to wipe up the mess with one of those tiny Subway napkins.

"An airplane? That's like a jet", Marty mumbles. "I wonder if the Jets have anybody worth trading with?  DARN IT, this stain isn't coming out.  Darn it.  Darn it........   hrm....  Darnold?"

That afternoon, fingers still greasy from the meatball remnants on his fingers, Hurney picks up the handset and spins the rotary dial. Once, twice, three times the rotary dial spins, making a satisfying "click click noise".

"Hello, this is 411. How can I help you?" says the operator.
"What's the number to the Jets locker room?"  Moments later, Marty is talking to the locker room janitor, who figures this is one of those prank calls he's laughed at on the Simpsons.

"What do we want for Darnold? Oh I'll play along.  How about a 6th, 2nd, and 4th?"  The janitor chuckles with himself for recognizing a prank caller, knowing that nobody would ever believe that was a real answer.

Marty shouts into the phone, "IT'S A DEAL!" and slams the receiver down back in its cradle.
He proudly puts on a fingerless glove, puts a feathered earring into his ear, and walks off into the sunset across the football field, raising his fist in the air with a sense of accomplishment as the soft strains of Simple Minds plays on his Walkman strapped to his fanny pack.

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, top dawg said:

MASH unit? 🤣 You guys are just way overblowing this injury thing. Sure some of them have had some injuries, but nothing stands out too too much other than Perryman's dis-ability to stay on the field. Hopefully he'lk have turned that corner. That being said, if we can get anything resembling a full season out of him, and YGM, Brown, Burns, Roy, Chinn, and Miller stays healthy, with the addition of Reddick (even without Perryman) the 1st and 2nd level guys, alone, look to be a SMASH unit!

It's the echo chamber effect. 

And this suck for Sam Howell thing is the next bullet in the chamber.  Well be hearing folks complain about week 3 wins for Sam Howell......lol

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, SOJA said:

I think the problem with trading with Miami was (at the time) the Panthers were trying to conserve as many assets as possible for a Deshaun trade. 

I doubt that. We wouldn't have been both trading for #3 and trading for Watson. That was definitely an either or scenario.

I kinda get the feeling that once it became more clear that the Jets were zeroed in on Wilson that we weren't willing to pay that price for whoever our #3 was, be it Fields, Lance, or Jones and honestly I'm not upset by that. The Niners paid a fortune.

• Beer 1