• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teams looking to trade up for quarterbacks

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Darnold is only 23 years old.

As someone mentioned on Twitter, Sewell is only 20.

Just 20 years old...and since he sat out a year, those clips you're watching are of a 19 year old kid throwing people around.

We get this kid, I'm gonna be doing the Snoopy dance.

I remember people constantly talking about how young Funchess was too. At the end of the day, either you can play or you can't. I'm honestly not hanging my hat on Darnold's age. My hope with Darnold is basically Adam Gase simply being THAT atrocious.

• Beer 2

53 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't want to trade down. I want to stick at 8 and take Penei Sewell or Rashaan Slater.

Having teams trade ahead of us for a quarterback helps that happen.

I agree. The odds of us landing a starter at 8 seem pretty high. Even Marty Hurney didn't screw up these picks. 

Not sure I buy enough into our FO talent evaluation yet to want to see then make one of those trade down moves.

The hope is that after this offseason/draft, we have a lot more confidence in these guys.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I remember people constantly talking about how young Funchess was too. At the end of the day, either you can play or you can't. I'm honestly not hanging my hat on Darnold's age. My hope with Darnold is basically Adam Gase simply being THAT atrocious.

Said it elsewhere: Darnold's age isn't what gets me so much as it is just how little experience he has playing quarterback.

You can coach him up like a rookie without having to worry about helping him adjust to the speed of the NFL.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't want to trade down. I want to stick at 8 and take Penei Sewell or Rashaan Slater.

Having teams trade ahead of us for a quarterback helps that happen.

I wouldn’t mind trading down but not beyond #15. Let’s say the Chargers want to move up to draft Sewell and reunite him with Herbert and are willing to trade their #13, their 3rd and a 2nd next year. We could still get Slater or Farley, we’d have an extra pick in the early rounds and recoup the 2nd rounder we gave up for Darnold. 

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The "he is only 23 years old" thing is kind of played out. Young or old, some guys have it or some don't. It isn't some magical switch that flips when you are a certain age.

6 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I wouldn’t mind trading down but not beyond #15. Let’s say the Chargers want to move up to draft Sewell and reunite him with Herbert and are willing to trade their #13, their 3rd and a 2nd next year. We could still get Slater or Farley, we’d have an extra pick in the early rounds and recoup the 2nd rounder we gave up for Darnold. 

This is where I'm at. Honestly, if it's not QB and the phone is ringing we should at least be listening.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

If Sewell is not there at 8, I have no problem trading back a few spots if we can grab another second and still get Slater 

That's not smart unless you don't like Slater, TBH(and we very well may not have him rated highly). Getting too cute on trading down isn't wise. 

And I say that fully knowing how much we are lacking in overall roster talent. We don't need to try and get it all in one offseason. This rebuild will be a process. 

• Pie 1

I have never been a big fan of trading back far as possible like Seattle does and i hope Fitt hasn't brought that over here. Panthers need blue chip players, i would only be good with trading back 2-3 spots unless we are talking first round picks. Thats it.  

• Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

This is where I'm at. Honestly, if it's not QB and the phone is ringing we should at least be listening.

I would be reticent to trade down if we can land a day one starter at a position of high value or extreme need. I think that has to be a situation where the price makes that really, really worthwhile. I am not in favor of trading down for the sake of trading down.

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I would be reticent to trade down if we can land a day one starter at a position of high value or extreme need. I think that has to be a situation where the price makes that really, really worthwhile. I am not in favor of trading down for the sake of trading down.

If you can't land a day one starter in the teens, then you ain't going to make it very far as an NFL exec. You should be nailing starter picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds almost every year. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I have never been a big fan of trading back far as possible like Seattle does and i hope Fitt hasn't brought that over here. Panthers need blue chip players, i would only be good with trading back 2-3 spots unless we are talking first round picks. Thats it.  

Seattle trading back is also a WAAAAAAAY different scenario than ours. Right now we have a chance to pick after only 7 players have been selected rather than in the bottom of the first where a good chunk of the top 2-3 players at their position have been taken. Moving from a bottom of the 1sr to top of the second spot isn't that big of a deal.

• Pie 1