• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who in the hell is Mel Kiper Jr?

Mr. Scot

I say this every year the draft comes around. Not only has Kiper been wrong on some prospects, he's been awfully wrong a lot!! He practically made the Panthers draft Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft. That year, Kiper had Jimmy Clausen as the top rated QB in the class with Sam Bradford (2), Colt McCoy (3), Dan LeFevour (4), and The Golden Calf of Bristol (5). lol @ Kiper's rankings! Clausen finished the 2010 season with 157 completions out of 299 attempts (52.5%), 1,558 yards with 3 touchdowns and 9 interceptions. He was sacked 33 times and fumbled 9 times, losing two. On May 6, 2010, a report on the website "Pro Football Talk" stated that, "Steve Smith 'basically thinks Jimmy is a punk.'". In 2011, the Panthers used their number one overall draft pick to select Cam Newton. The rest is history.  

p.s. During the hype of Clausen in the 2010 draft, Kiper stated on live TV, "If Jimmy Clausen is not a successful quarterback in the NFL, I'm done. That's it, I'm out."  Too bad he didn't follow up on that quote!

16 minutes ago, @bonafidebanter said:

I say this every year the draft comes around. Not only has Kiper been wrong on some prospects, he's been awfully wrong a lot!! He practically made the Panthers draft Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft. That year, Kiper had Jimmy Clausen as the top rated QB in the class with Sam Bradford (2), Colt McCoy (3), Dan LeFevour (4), and The Golden Calf of Bristol (5). lol @ Kiper's rankings! Clausen finished the 2010 season with 157 completions out of 299 attempts (52.5%), 1,558 yards with 3 touchdowns and 9 interceptions. He was sacked 33 times and fumbled 9 times, losing two. On May 6, 2010, a report on the website "Pro Football Talk" stated that, "Steve Smith 'basically thinks Jimmy is a punk.'". In 2011, the Panthers used their number one overall draft pick to select Cam Newton. The rest is history.  

p.s. During the hype of Clausen in the 2010 draft, Kiper stated on live TV, "If Jimmy Clausen is not a successful quarterback in the NFL, I'm done. That's it, I'm out."  Too bad he didn't follow up on that quote!

This is all true. But sometimes you have to endure really shitty circumstances to get to a better situation. For better or worse the Clausen pick opened the door for what would become several really fun years. You just never know what awaits around the corner. Maybe we'll find that again.

Believe Angels In The Outfield GIF

Cheers to all the folks that get a kick out of pre draft this, mocks and all that hype. I kind of wish I wasn't so logical and call it a waste of time because no one really knows anything

Some folks really enjoy it as if it is like a small pre-season full of news to read and things to ponder while taking a dump. I envy that!

• Beer 1

Other favorite draft moments:

The Vikings not getting their pick made in time...

Watching the souls of Jets fans leave their bodies as they picked Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp...

Drew Pearson massively trolling the Philadelphia crowd with an extended monologue about the Cowboys' greatness...

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I will say, he was 100% right about Trev Alberts. Awful pick for trading up to #5. He barely played more than Gaulden.

Passing up QB for LB in the top 5?  Yeah Mel was right on here.  We have the luxury of hindsight as well but he was right.

Edited by Shocker

I have this same argument with the huddle every off-season. Mel Kiper deserves a gold jacket. Not only did he make the draft popular, he made watching it and scouting it accessible to the casual fan. He was doing books and takes before most of us knew what it was. It's so cliché to say oh he sucks he missed on Clausen so on. Most people did. He wasn't the only one.

Clausen was lauded as a highly recruited number recruit coming out of high school. A 5 star player who showed up to note dame in a hummer limo. He set all kinds of records coming out and had plenty of tools. Missing on Clausen is like missing on Todd marrivich, Ryan leaf, or JaMarcus Russell. These guys have all kinds of talent but for whatever reason fail.

Prospects can fail for whatever mental reasons drugs, team situations( David Carr), or injury. Hell Cam Newton was a generational talent and look what we did to him. Wasted his prime and let him get beat into the ground like an old buick. People love to remember your failures and what you got wrong but never what you got right.

No one brings up how he nailed Josh Allen and had him well above most and his number 1 qb most of the year. But they will fawn over Mike Mayock.  Look what he has done with the Raiders..you guys cried for clelin ferrell because he said he was good and when he selected him with the number 4 pick over Burns look how that turned out.

Mock drafts are just for fun sorta like filling out a ncaa March madness bracket. Nobody gets them right. But you know why we mock draft? Mel Kiper..  he deserves a lot more respect than he gets.

Edited by micnificent28
  • Pie 4

37 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I have this same argument with the huddle every off-season. Mel Kiper deserves a gold jacket. Not only did he make the draft popular, he made watching it and scouting it accessible to the casual fan. He was doing books and takes before most of us knew what it was. It's so cliché to say oh he sucks he missed on Clausen so on. Most people did. He wasn't the only one.

Clausen was lauded as a highly recruited number recruit coming out of high school. A 5 star player who showed up to note dame in a hummer limo. He set all kinds of records coming out and had plenty of tools. Missing on Clausen is like missing on Todd marrivich, Ryan leaf, or JaMarcus Russell. These guys have all kinds of talent but for whatever reason fail.

Prospects can fail for whatever mental reasons drugs, team situations( David Carr), or injury. Hell Cam Newton was a generational talent and look what we did to him. Wasted his prime and let him get beat into the ground like an old buick. People love to remember your failures and what you got wrong but never what you got right.

No one brings up how he nailed Josh Allen and had him well above most and his number 1 qb most of the year. But they will fawn over Mike Mayock.  Look what he has done with the Raiders..you guys cried for clelin ferrell because he said he was good and when he selected him with the number 4 pick over Burns look how that turned out.

Mock drafts are just for fun sorta like filling out a ncaa March madness bracket. Nobody gets them right. But you know why we mock draft? Mel Kiper..  he deserves a lot more respect than he gets.

I look at Kiper similar to how I look at Jerry Lawler and other "bad guy" announcers in wrestling.

You hate them, but you still watch.

(shock jocks would be another comparison)

• Pie 1