• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So who’s our starting Free Safety?

Ja  Rhule

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He was a rookie. Was highly rated at WV before he got kicked off the team. He definitely has some ball hawk skills...

The boy does not understand that 5th round draft picks are developmental--if cutting him is the reason he is trash, what is the reason they brought him back?

Rhule has already said they see Keith Taylor as a CB.

I was excited about the Kenny Robinson pick last year but him not making the final roster at first says we're not at all high on him since we were willing to potentially lose him... and neither was anyone else since no one picked him up. Hopefully he's improved immensely, but unless he has he's not gonna be the answer.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was excited about the Kenny Robinson pick last year but him not making the final roster at first says we're not at all high on him since we were willing to potentially lose him... and neither was anyone else since no one picked him up. Hopefully he's improved immensely, but unless he has he's not gonna be the answer.

Bingo.  Also, Burris is 6’0 ~210LBs who runs ~4.6 40 yard dash.  He’s a bigger guy and not very fast.  We will get beat deep a lot if he’s FS and he will not chase any WR or RBs down.  He’s not a ballhawk either. 

• Poo 1

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was just reading up...like the press CB on each side.  Why we got 2, I think. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Bingo.  Also, Burris is 6’0 ~210LBs who runs ~4.6 40 yard dash.  He’s a bigger guy and not very fast.  We will get beat deep a lot if he’s FS and he will not chase any WR or RBs down.  He’s not a ballhawk either. 

Maybe we are not thinking of this like they are--if they have 2 press CBs and 3 safeties (2 deep) maybe they feel that they are OK--I can't figure it out.  Burris in a cover 1, yes, but if we run man or cover 2, is it that big of an issue?  I am not a db expert, so...

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I was just reading up...like the press CB on each side.  Why we got 2, I think. 

Rhule said in the presser that he sees him as a man cover CB. Good size and speed. Says he can cover TEs and WOs. So yeah we want to run more man coverage schemes or perhaps man/zone combinations. We'll have Horn on the the first target and could use Taylor on a second target in some coverages early on and especially on 3rd downs. Bring him in to make those 3rd down conversions more difficult and if he develops he could become Jackson's replacement. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ja Rhule said:

It was a big need before the draft and was not addressed so there must be a B plan?  Right?

One of the DB's will rise to the occasion I suppose.  Hell I gave up trying to figure out this "process" stuff.  Just when I thought I had it figured out they flip the script.

I'm just loving this different approach to building a squad. The team they started with with is going to look a lot different very soon.

Time will tell.

Edited by Jon Snow
Enjoying the Zen moment
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

Burris is a Strong Safety...  I would not want him to play FS.  We need a ballhawk 

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I dont want him there either,  but he was definitely on the field at that position last year and it seems like he is a part of the team plans.

My thoughts too. Not ideal, but that's where he was last year and they like him.

We probably won't have a specific free safety or strong safety, just safeties we use back there.

But i also think we're going to be messing around with formations and personnel so much I don't think it matters.

It's kind of a non-issue, imo. I have always considered it that way, tbh. The two roles are mostly interchangeable and situational anyways. 

• Pie 3