• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking at Joe Brady's Offense+New Weapons

davos

39 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, I do think the manner in which he allows us to compete in games will be vastly different than Teddy.  

I do think Darnold is of the Jake mold.  Clearly more athletic.  All depends if Joe can get the good version of that out of him. 

If Darnold can grasp the offense fairly quickly, I could see him succeeding.  I will say, the offense may be tailored for beefy QB stats so come the end of the season, he may look good on paper even if it wasn't a totally A+ season. 

For me--regarding last season: What we failed at was identifying the right times to just take it to the endzone and get the 6 points.  Both TB and Brady had issues.  Darnold can be pretty effective at knowing when to step up and put the ball in the right guys' hands.  I'm hoping he translates because he appears to be the style the staff looks at.  They've mentioned a Stafford comp a handful of times, targeted Stafford and then eventually went after Sam.  It's these tough, strong armed QBs that extend plays.  They don't need to be super mobile, but have the good pocket awareness.  Darnold's issues come from decision making and Delhomme'ing at times.  Hope he can calm down in that regard and become a good decision maker.

If the game slows down for him with the better offense, he has all the tools in the world here to wreck sh*t. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Like it or not Moore is ahead of him on the depth chart.  Could that change, sure but then he would be wr #3.  If that happens where is his production coming from?  He cutting into DJ's production, Anderson, Cmacs?  Oh and there is also a new pass catching TE we just signed.  I am just not seeing where his targets, playing time, etc are going to come from.  Now if someone got hurt..........

I'm still 50/50 on David Moore being ahead of him. I think he's a very talented player that should have been gone long before 59, but I still consider WR a luxury pick. As you point out, there's a lot of weapons ahead of him. I'm going to be a little more optimistic than you, and predict 500-600 yards and 8-9 TD's. His height makes him a red zone target, and he's also wicked fast with a QB that can actually pass it 40+ yards, so he'll get a few long TD's. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, davos said:

If Darnold can grasp the offense fairly quickly, I could see him succeeding.  I will say, the offense may be tailored for beefy QB stats so come the end of the season, he may look good on paper even if it wasn't a totally A+ season. 

For me--regarding last season: What we failed at was identifying the right times to just take it to the endzone and get the 6 points.  Both TB and Brady had issues.  Darnold can be pretty effective at knowing when to step up and put the ball in the right guys' hands.  I'm hoping he translates because he appears to be the style the staff looks at.  They've mentioned a Stafford comp a handful of times, targeted Stafford and then eventually went after Sam.  It's these tough, strong armed QBs that extend plays.  They don't need to be super mobile, but have the good pocket awareness.  Darnold's issues come from decision making and Delhomme'ing at times.  Hope he can calm down in that regard and become a good decision maker.

If the game slows down for him with the better offense, he has all the tools in the world here to wreck sh*t. 

Our offseason, draft included, was all about addressing the red zone. Moore had 6 TD's on 35 catches,  Arnold had 4 TD's on 31 catches, and Marshall had 10 TD's on 48 catches in 7 games. Add in an improved O-line, a h-back who wakes up looking for someone to block, and giving CMC ample time to heal instead of rushing him back in, and we should score a bunch more TD's. And I still haven't mentioned Sam being a scrambler.

6 hours ago, davos said:

I just want to take a look specifically at Joe Brady's tendencies and who could be out there this coming season in his spread packages. 

A few points--He likes to take linebackers out of the box by using CMC/RBs to open up the middle of the field.  Thing was, with CMC out a lot, it wasn't used to it's full effect.  He's as good as a weapon as a diversion.  Thing is, with his offense, we need downfield threats, blocking types, and players with high in-play awareness to carve space for bigger gains. 

This is where the signings of Arnold and Tremble come into the equation. From last year:

Brady's Trips packages

0*CV8iavVxu1MuvX6G.gif

0*_TnaTZlEEQWEe2Rw.gif

He likes his trips packages with CMC diverting a LB to the flat on the weakside of the field.  This opens up the middle.

These plays can happen quick depending on the reads and there were two big issues: Teddy would often make a quick safe decision even in a good pocket and Ian Thomas gave up on plays after he "ran" his routes.  And honestly, Manhertz wasn't always this superb blocker and never a serious threat to actually be a target on the play.

Sometimes giving it to CMC works out just fine:

0*EydTkQQKGn4Ah1q5.gif

But again, trips package, quick developing play.  Let's say that pass wasn't there for CMC, we have Darnold who likes being aggressive. 

So now, take Tremble into the equation here, where we may make it a 6 man line instead of pulling the TE deep.  We now have an aggressive QB who can step into the throw and target a guy like Marshall downfield.  Which is actually what Burrow did a TON with Brady & Marshall as seen in the highlight video below.  Just look at his quick cuts, turning CBs hips.  Quick slants, downfield contested, etc.  Also watch how Burrow moves in the pocket while looking downfield. This is actually what you see a lot in Darnold's vids.  Thing is, the Jets line was worse than ours and he had no receivers.  On our end, Teddy was often just checking it to the safe bet way earlier than needed, not truly extending the plays.

Elsewhere, let's go full spread offense here where we stretch the defense out:

0*gSh4AweGfVLF_ZcX.gif

Who is the guy at the top of the screen that just runs by his man free while the QB doesn't bother to look in his direction?

• Poo 1

16 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I'm still 50/50 on David Moore being ahead of him. I think he's a very talented player that should have been gone long before 59, but I still consider WR a luxury pick. As you point out, there's a lot of weapons ahead of him. I'm going to be a little more optimistic than you, and predict 500-600 yards and 8-9 TD's. His height makes him a red zone target, and he's also wicked fast with a QB that can actually pass it 40+ yards, so he'll get a few long TD's. 

Yep.   I can see us spreading what was Curtis' role into a few different ways. 

I expect Brady to adjust and also have learned from last year.  Therefore, think splitting the Samuel role up from last year into a few different guys (Marshall, David, Shi), with a more aggressive redzone style that targets Marshall, could be nice.  I felt that we over targeted Mike Davis and Bridgewater's decision making left missing yards and plenty of missed TDs.

Let's say we pass for 4000 yards (half the league hit 4000)--

Take ~2000 off for Robbie+DJ, another 700 for CMC:

Remaining could parse out like:

500-700 Terrace Marshall

250-400 Dave Moore

150-250 Dan Arnold

150-250 Shi Smith

*And then factor in a tolerance/little extra depending how we use Tremble & Hubbard, they could have 150-200 ea.

That's how I'd expect to look IF they project as they are now without injuries. 

TD wise, Marshall could tally a fair amount if Darnold throws for 24+

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, davos said:

I expect Brady to adjust and also have learned from last year.  Therefore, think splitting the Samuel role up from last year into a few different guys (Marshall, David, Shi), with a more aggressive redzone style that targets Marshall, could be nice.  I felt that we over targeted Mike Davis and Bridgewater's decision making left missing yards and plenty of missed TDs.

Hard to guess what Brady's going to get up to this season. Last year CMC was out except for early on, and TB didn't have the arm to really threaten the long ball. He went for the easy, quick pass and let his receivers run up YAC.