• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fitterer: We want Sam Darnold to just flush what's happened

NAS

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

2 parts involved in overcoming.

1) mindset of the person trying to overcome (am i broken or am i growing?)

2) your environment (the people you are surrounded by and the people in your ear)

i think Sammy has it good on both of those.

People who have been watching him and talking to him talk about just how resilient and positive he is.

He also has the best coaching he could have asked for in coming from that dumpster fire in New York/Jersey.

I think the biggest problem is honestly that those guys just didn't have what it took to be elite QB's in the first place. That is why you see so many of them fail after being a bust at their first franchise. Injuries aside, the cream tends to rise to the top at QB in the NFL. That is why the "trash to treasure" stories are so rare.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

Carson Palmer and Andrew Luck might have been better QBs if not for the state of their franchises while they were playing for them.  Isn’t the same being said here about Cam?

I look at Cam as a success. We did waste opportunities while he was here. Hindsight, they should have focused on winning while Cam and Luke where here instead of some obvious mistakes virtue signaling and whatnot at times, which in itself is foolishness.

1 hour ago, Hoenheim said:

The problem is when people adopt the mindset that if you aren't optimistic then you aren't a fan . People obliterated me about being negative on teddy early and I see how that turned out lol

With all due respect, people can be optimistic about something and then get proven wrong later, you know.

And this (the bolded) sounds like you're boasting about being right or something.   

• Pie 2

29 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the biggest problem is honestly that those guys just didn't have what it took to be elite QB's in the first place. That is why you see so many of them fail after being a bust at their first franchise. Injuries aside, the cream tends to rise to the top at QB in the NFL. That is why the "trash to treasure" stories are so rare.

Well then, I do hope you are HOPING that this turns out to be one of those "rare" occasions. 

7 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Well then, I do hope you are HOPING that this turns out to be one of those "rare" occasions. 

Yeah,therwise we are back to square one, yet again.

But, I have absolutely zero faith in Darnold. He looked basically like any of the dozens of bust 1st round QB's from the past 30 years or so. The odds are against us, that is for sure.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yeah,therwise we are back to square one, yet again.

But, I have absolutely zero faith in Darnold. He looked basically like any of the dozens of bust 1st round QB's from the past 30 years or so. The odds are against us, that is for sure.

Wow.  Well....since you have zero expectations, you better be wearing two pairs of underwear the moment Sam throws his first Deep Pass for TD.  

1 hour ago, Hoenheim said:

The problem is when people adopt the mindset that if you aren't optimistic then you aren't a fan . People obliterated me about being negative on teddy early and I see how that turned out lol

Lol like 90% of the huddle was fuging super bummed about Teddy when it happened and throughout the season. 

I can think of like 3 people who believed in him. Even when he had a “decent” start. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Ron is an old school smash mouth football coach and he has some sort of ongoing bromance with Hurney

Ron's biggest failure as a coach is that he is as the old saying goes " loyal to a fault".  Remember what it took before he would play guys like Andrew Norwell?

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Wow.  Well....since you have zero expectations, you better be wearing two pairs of underwear the moment Sam throws his first Deep Pass for TD.  

I don't care about a long TD pass. I care about sustained success. I am not going to lose my poo over finally seeing a long TD pass. 

I will be impressed with Darnold when he is making smart decisions and winning games. That is the bar.

• Beer 2

34 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

i think you're right. there are a lot who shouldn't have been drafted as early as they were. i think there were also a lot of others who just fell into the wrong situation. 

i just feel like these guys are not just saying all the right things, they are saying the right things because they are doing the right things. they've got it figured out and what they don't have figured out, they are on their way to figuring it out.

i honestly can't think of a better situation for Darnold to be in to help him get it figured out and reach his potential. like i've said before, i don't think there are any guarantees. i do think that they will be putting everything into it. 

i also don't think that they are putting themselves into a hole that they can't climb out of with him. It's a safe bet in that he didn't cost too much and it won't cost too much to move on from him and move on to the next one. it's a safe bet, but it could net a pretty nice sized purse.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Guys, I hate to break it to you but he's not a rookie, and his contract is going to be a real problem next year. The Panthers don't have time to treat him like a rookie. He either improves next year and gets a massive starting QB salary on a year of a massive cap space increase, or he plays poor and the Panthers cut their losses.

Worst case scenario he "improves" to become mediocre and the Panthers have to decide how to handle giving a big contract to a guy that's been dreadful for 3 years, mediocre for 1, but looks like they're improving.

He's not a rookie, and the biggest reason why is his impending contract.

Poor David Carr, he was ruined by the sacking.... Trent Dilfer about the only one I can think of that was able to over come the rough beginnings. To a point Carson Palmer too. 

I will say his interviews give a little hope, but its truly doesnt matter til the pads are on and 280LB man-beasts are trying to legally kill you. Need a special group of coaches to over come seeing ghosts.....I know know whom to call....

new york film GIF

• Beer 1