• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getzenberg looks at the left tackle options

Mr. Scot

Decent article: No obvious answer a left tackle, but the team has options

Getzenberg thinks the depth chart currently has Cam Erving at the top, followed by Trent Scott and Brady Christensen.

She adds this note about Greg Little:

The Panthers have had Little play a bit at right tackle in practice, but he is truly just a left tackle. The team drafted him back in 2019 to be the left tackle of the future. For a variety of reasons, it has not worked out.

A significant amount would have to change for him to be in the conversation to start. His lack of versatility in terms of position makes his future with this team worth watching.

Wasn't aware the team had tried him on the right, but it sounds like it didn't work out. I'd say we can probably put the "try Little at guard" idea to rest.

She also mentions that Dennis Daley is more likely to get looks along the interior or as a utility backup.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 8

Good article. I like the thought process on wanting versatility, especially as the league transitions to an 18 game schedule(all but an inevitability IMO). Injuries and having quality depth are going to get more magnified the more games are added. That was actually why I was shocked they didn't take Slater at 8. 

I definitely don't see any long term answers at LT on our roster currently but hopefully we won't be in the kind of shape we were last season when Okung went down. That goes with the OL as a whole. Those injuries along the OL really started to hurt a lot the deeper into the depth chart we had to go.

I don't think our starting OL will be appreciably better this season but at least we won't have that cliff like drop off we had last when the bench guys started to play. That was rough.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Good article. I like the thought process on wanting versatility, especially as the league transitions to an 18 game schedule(all but an inevitability IMO). 

Hadn't thought about it much prior to now, but I think Getzenberg is right. The new staff's emphasis on OL versatility does likely mean Little is gone.

Hell, the dude can barely play one position.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 5

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The new staff's emphasis on OL versatility does likely mean Little is gone.

Rhule said as much in one of the recent press conferences. He said they wanted to find their five starters and then make sure the backups are as versatile as possible in case he has to "Shuffle the Deck" because of injuries later.

Edited by Michael G
  • Pie 1

22 minutes ago, ncstatekwi said:

Good stuff!  I like Getzenberg!  I dislike David Newton!

I really like Alaina too. She puts in the work it seems. She was quick to answer a question I had about one of her articles awhile back. I used Twitter and sent her a message and she responded with a humble and smart reply. I doubt most other reporters would have even bothered...

If you're not a starter, you better be versatile. Either be able to fill in at multiple positions and/or be able to contribute on special teams. That's the way it should be. We've carried way too many limited backups in the past IMO. If you're a limited backup, you better be a darn good one and the guy in front of you better be injury prone.

• Pie 3

37 minutes ago, Michael G said:

Rhule said as much in one of the recent press conferences. He said they wanted to find their five starters and then make sure the backups are as versatile as possible in case he has to "Shuffle the Deck" because of injuries later.

Good point....

the 2 players from free agency play 5 and 3 positions respectively.  Christensen is going to settle at LG, but they tried him at C in camp, as well as G and T. Not ruled out as a LT, but likely a decent T, really good G.  Moore (G, C) can play if he develops, and I think Brown can play both G spots.  Elflein can play C. Daley is versatile and so is Scott, a player I really like. 

Here is why have versatile depth as a backup is important--remember when Gross went down several years ago and we moved LG Wharton to LT?  That looks good on paper, but you just got weaker a 2 positions instead of only 1.  Defensive coordinators will attack your weaknesses.  And what I learned as a line coach in high school---where the DCs are far less aware---is that you can't "hide" 2 weak OL.  You can get away with one, but not more than that.  It makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Gosh, remember that drive where Little looked like he wasn't the worst player on our roster?  me either.

I have seen him do well at times, but he lacks the heart and the mind.  This may sound petty, but I checked out his twitter the other day, and there were things from Ole Miss and his high school---one clip from the Panthers where he made a good block on a screen--he is not living, breathing, eating Panther football--in my limited opinion.

50 minutes ago, Michael G said:

I have no stats to back this up but I have to believe that is one of the highest injury rates in football is on the OL.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have no stats to back this up but I have to believe that is one of the highest injury rates in football is on the OL.

I heard that before and argued against it (with a guy who used to play in the NFL--just not OL) and he proved me wrong.  I remember being surprised. 

He added that by the end of the season, they are playing hurt in a lot of cases.  Why 17 games is so critically important.  swapping a preseason game (which is like a glorified practice) for a game is bad. He thinks they should play no more than 15 games. 

• Beer 1