• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Tommy Stevens will be the #3 QB

MHS831

I suppose if I had to narrow down the Panthers to the most versatile players, my list would look something like:

• Chinn--SS, FS, LB
  • Hartsfield SS, Nickel, CB
  • Erving  T, G, C
  • Tremble TE, Hback, Fback
  • Marshall slot, X, Z
  • Stevens QB, Hback, wildcat, TE, flanker, etc. ???

Versatile players save roster spots and enhance depth.

A roster is 53/55 players, and not all dress on game day.  a third QB holding in clip board and cracking one liners during time out huddles on the sideline is a waste of a roster spot.

So when you consider how we could use Stevens (Taysom Hill) to enhance the offense and still have a #3 QB, the word versatility adds a roster spot.

I think this impacts the decisions we will made at TE more than QB.  I think Arnold and Tremble are locks, and I also think Ian Thomas and maybe Colin Thompson are liabilities that will be cut.  Sullivan can go to the PS and learn while this "experiment" unfolds.

Think Arnold as the starter, but then think about the TE situation after that. How are we a bigger threat with a 3rd round TE and 7th round backup QB in a way we are not a threat with Ian and Colin?  We have discussed how Tremble will help--lead blocker hback, fullback, etc.  A thumper in the backfield.  Stevens, in that same position, turns the Hback, fullback, wildcat into a passing/running threat.  So essentially, he is as good as most 3rd string QBs because he is dual threat, but he is making the TE position 3-dimensional.  Arnold the receiving threat, Tremble the blocking threat, and Stevens, the passing/running threat.

Do we need Grier now?  Would Stevens actually save us a roster spot, allowing us to carry 2 TEs?

Since some of you are unfamiliar with his skill set, I have included some moving pictures from Miss St.  He tells the story of how Payton's ego sent him to New Orleans at the cost of a sixth rounder, only to be given some development and sent to free agency for the Panthers.

https://youtu.be/DtX-valcSJg

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

I'm not sure if Stevens saves a TE roster spot. If the reports from last year are accurate our coaches did like him because of his versatility though. I'm just not sure, especially with Tremble moonlighting already at other positions, that he'll ever actually line up as a TE. Maybe he can fill in if Arnold, Tremble or Thomas/Thompson get hurt. He still might make the roster as our #3 QB (We kept 3 QBs last year), but I think with the need for TE's to block and potential for injury that we'll keep 3 (real ones not gadget guys).

15 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

I have vision. I have great vision and I saw that drafting Justin Fields at 8 would’ve made great competition at our QB position and could very well end up being the franchise QB for the next 10 years. Not some undrafted QB that the Panthers and Saints were fighting for last year. Swiss Army knife QB. lol. 

As a proud member of the Fields’ Fan Club, I urge you to stop and let it go. There are plenty of Bears’ Forums if you can’t...

• Pie 8

22 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Because if you had vision, you could see the possibilities and how this player could open up the offense.  But since you don't see how a 6-5 235 lb swiss army knife might help the offense, you could sit by your computer and try to derail threads.  In fact, I would appreciate it if you would refrain from talking about this JAG and let some others share thoughts--assuming that is what you were trying to do.

He also ran a 4.49! That’s a big train coming at you fast!

• Pie 5

18 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

I have vision. I have great vision and I saw that drafting Justin Fields at 8 would’ve made great competition at our QB position and could very well end up being the franchise QB for the next 10 years. Not some undrafted QB that the Panthers and Saints were fighting for last year. Swiss Army knife QB. lol. 

You were wounded as a child by someone you trusted, weren't you?

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, Michael G said:

I'm not sure if Stevens saves a TE roster spot. If the reports from last year are accurate our coaches did like him because of his versatility though. I'm just not sure, especially with Tremble moonlighting already at other positions, that he'll ever actually line up as a TE. Maybe he can fill in if Arnold, Tremble or Thomas/Thompson get hurt. He still might make the roster as our #3 QB (We kept 3 QBs last year), but I think with the need for TE's to block and potential for injury that we'll keep 3 (real ones not gadget guys).

He may not--I was just wondering about the Sullivan signing-it allows them to keep a TE on the PS that could be elevated at any time.  And you are right about playing multiple positions/serving multiple roles--every new spot brings a new playbook with it, to a degree. 

I just see the TE position being quietly made effective in the offseason using second hand parts, so to speak.  I think it could be the single biggest position upgrade on the offense--based on the vanilla, non-threatening mess we saw last year.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

He's wearing a Panthers jersey now, so good luck to him. Hope he lives up to the potential.

Not a lot of info on him out there, but there isn't a whole lot of talent between him and being in the QB room during the regular season. Put simply, it's not like the other guys behind Darnold have a lot going for them, and maybe not even much at the QB1 position if he can't be rejuvenated.

• Pie 5

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

He's wearing a Panthers jersey now, so good luck to him. Hope he lives up to the potential.

Not a lot of info on him out there, but there isn't a whole lot of talent between him and being in the QB room during the regular season. Put simply, it's not like the other guys behind Darnold have a lot going for them, and maybe not even much at the QB1 position if he can't be rejuvenated.

It is murky at best.  I think we need a real #2, and if Stevens were to win that job, forget the whole idea.  I mean, I hate to compare him to Taysom Hill, but he started and won a game or two--and they are very similar players in terms of skill set.  Hill ran a 4.44 to Stevens 4.49, but Hill is 6-2, 225, Stevens 6-5 235. 

The big question:  Is Stevens good enough to be the third QB? 

Then ask, can he be the #3 QB and play gunner, TE, wildcat, etc.?  If so, our offense and special teams could be better---

or we could keep Will Grier in case we lose 2 QBs....

• Pie 4